Sl55 no sound from bose system

OP
R

Robjit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
I'm getting back onto this as I have a few days off... I've familiarised myself with the vids on youtube but I've got a question.... With the D2B fibre plugs pulled out, the fibre connector hole from the radio flashes 3 times, suggesting signal is coming from the comand unit. Is it the same for the CD changer and Bose amp fibre holes if the fibre plugs are pulled out? Will they flash to show there is an output or do they only flash if the fibre loop cables are connected??

Am I right or wrong in saying the CD changer and amp should also flash in their fibre holes when the ignition is turned on to show they power up??

I only ask this as I'm trying to determine the faulty part and I'm thinking it's the amp or the CD changer, or both - as when the fibre cable that flashes from the radio is connected to either the CD changer or amp, nothing else in the fibre loop seems the have any light coming through, suggesting theres nothing coming through the amp or CD changer..

OP
R

Robjit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Update....

So I managed to get a D2B fibre optic coupler to loop the fibre cables... I plugged them out of the amp, CD changer, phone and the other little black box underneath the phone box.

I checked once again with a torch that light flows freely from each connector to the next, which it does.

I then checked that the comand unit was sending the signal to the 1st part of the loop when you turn on the ignition, which it does as it flashes red 3 times at the bose amp d2b fibre connector.

I then looped this connector to see if the blink then went to the next D2B connector, which is for the CD changer. Turned the key and it flashed 3 times here also, suggesting there is no break in the D2B wiring.

I then plugged the bose amp back on to see if the CD changer connector would flash.... And it doesn't.. I tried my other replacement bose amp and the same thing happened...

This suggest one of 3 things I rekon:

1. There is no power coming from the wiring connector harness to the amp

2. Both amps are faulty

3. The comand unit is faulty

I think either option 1 or 2 is more likely, but I have no way of testing the harness or amp as there is no power light to show its working...

When I go through the diagnostics on the comand unit, it still comes up with code N1112 after a clearing a reset and zero on the wake up test for the components..

So what I need next is this I rekon:

Someone who can bench test both amps or provide me a way to check...

Someone with an R230 local to me who would be willing to try my amp(s)

Is there any other fuse apart from the one on the actual bose amp that I may try that may solve the issue??

Any assistance would be appreciated as I'm determined to get it working!?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Can you track down a pin out of the connectors so you can check power is working on the harness?

is there a fuse on the rear SAM for the amp? (I’m not familiar with the R230)

ps as a side issue you mention the analogue tv tuner, you can swap in a digital unit - eBay has caravan ones, pretty cheap. I think I read a ‘how to install’ from member ‘Television’ (sadly departed) it is probably searchable. These issues would have been right up his area of expertise.

Last edited:
OP
R

Robjit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
The power connector and fuses gas been checked electrically and all have 12v coming through. Star was linked to the system which confirmed no issues with the loop, which also suggests the D2B wiring is good, as well as each component in the loop...

However I still have no sound... I have tried 2 Amps, 2 CD changers and another comand unit. The only thing I can see is that the audio gateway/tv tuner gets very warm/hot and no other component seems to...

Any ideas from anyone here?? I've had 2 merc star techs and an audio electrician look at this and we don't seem to be any further forward??

OP
R

Robjit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
I have noticed that the TV tuner is very hot/warm compared to all of the other components... Could this be an issue causing no sound???

OP
R

Robjit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
So I've replaced the comand, CD changer, bose amp and even the TV tuner, but I still get no sound... I'm at my wits end with this... Can anyone help me with this??

I'm West Yorkshire based if it helps

Attachments

• IMG_20220615_140310.jpg
    IMG_20220615_140310.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 7

rpalmeida

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mercupgrades.com
It's definitely something that needs to be in the workshop of someone who is very familiar with the system and keeps spare parts, and can use Star and WIS (wiring diagrams) properly. You've tried all the "mechanical" stuff (i.e change control units)

OP
R

Robjit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
It's definitely something that needs to be in the workshop of someone who is very familiar with the system and keeps spare parts, and can use Star and WIS (wiring diagrams) properly. You've tried all the "mechanical" stuff (i.e change control units)
Might have to make a visit Richard if no one else local can shed any light on it...

Blaze_Two

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 - 2003 and ML 250 (W166) - Fully loaded as you like Sir!!!
Hi all - I've recently acquired a 2003 SL55 which had a few things needed to bring up to scratch. I appear to have no sound from the comand unit. I was told that it might be a good idea to check the most fibre cable network but can't find a loop that will fit.

Having took apart the rear to get to the modules I found a silver unit that looks like the back of a radio unit with the plugs taken out. I have plugged it all back but noted it has 3 set of gold plated phono plugs with no wires for it?

I also took out the CD changer to release the CD magazine, but still have no sound.

Can anybody advise? Many thanks.

Hi Robjit,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I’ve got exactly the same problem on a SL350 2003.

I’ll try replacing the amp first (I’ve got Bose speakers in the car) but not sure where it’s located and if it’s essily accessible?

thanks in advance

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom