Smart car - advice on error, had to be towed.

Ismysmartdead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart fortwo 2016
Hi all, not been on here before but need some advice whilst waiting to contact the dealership about our Smart. We have a 2016 smart fortwo. It's never had problems until yesterday. Away from home and we get Auto Start Malfunction error with engine light on.

The engine starts but the gears are locked. We had the AA out who used the override under the gearbox (automatic) to change the car into neutral to roll it into a towing position as it will not override into reverse or park at all. It's as if we have been locked out of the gears.
The error the guys diagnostic thingy found that he could not clear was "auto start stop control unit failure"

My main question is, are we looking at a new Sam? We're going to have to get it towed to smart but want a bit of a heads up on what it might be or cost.
(we broke down at a car dealership having just agreed to part ex the smart car! paperwork all done, date agreed to bring it back and swap over... smart dead as we tried to go home. Severe embarrassment at having to be towed home after sitting in their carpark 3 hours)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sorry can't answer your question on a Smart that age but welcome to the forum.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
no point in guessing as thats all it would be without bmeaningful diags. Sit tight fella.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I had a similar issue with my For Two. It turned out to be the brake light switch which is underneath the car.

OP
I

Ismysmartdead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart fortwo 2016
I had a similar issue with my For Two. It turned out to be the brake light switch which is underneath the car.
Thanks. This was the first thing we looked at. All the brake lights are working fine. We tried recharging the battery, and then disconnecting, but no luck. It's being towed to smart next week.

OP
I

Ismysmartdead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart fortwo 2016
no point in guessing as thats all it would be without bmeaningful diags. Sit tight fella.
Been called a few things in my time, but never fella! :p

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Thanks. This was the first thing we looked at. All the brake lights are working fine.
Check the number of wires going to the brake light switch.
If more than two wires, then the switch has more than one function and you cannot rule it out by relying on the brake lights working fine.

OP
I

Ismysmartdead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart fortwo 2016
Thanks. I think I am out of my depth with wiring. I don't want to do anything that could end up costing even more to fix. Hopefully get it fixed up, if it doesn't cost more than the car is worth and then get it up for sale.

OP
I

Ismysmartdead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart fortwo 2016
Do you have a MB indy nearby to look at it. Good luck and keep us posted
No. Didn't want to risk paying for it to be towed and looked at by an indy, just to be told we need Smart to do with their diagnostic bits, and have to pay that all over again. We're only about 12 miles from Smart.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom