"Steamy Windows" SL R230... and we 'aint talking Tina Turner!

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
I did hear a rumour that when they sold the old SL65AMG pace car from the Bahrain GP track, that the only fault they found with the car was moss growing in the boot.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
There was a R230 on here fairly recently that was leaking in from the rear quarter windows and causing damp.
If you’re not finding damp anywhere I’d stick a dehumidifier in and let that suck it completely dry and then see if the condensation comes back.

Any idea where that thread is? I'd like to see how it was fixed/resolved. Am currently running the dehumidifier in the car and may have a similar problem.

OP - did you get to the bottom of it in the end?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Any idea where that thread is? I'd like to see how it was fixed/resolved. Am currently running the dehumidifier in the car and may have a similar problem.

OP - did you get to the bottom of it in the end?
This thread might help

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!

Thanks. I just read that thread and his issue seemed to be his quarter windows being stuck. Mine are still working.
Or did you refer me to that one due to the possibility of the drains below the windows being clogged up?
Also, if those drains are clogged up, other than the window getting stuck what are the other potential symptoms? Asking as my rear carpets on the SL are wet and I’m trying to work out how they’re getting that way.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
A lot of it lately has to do with the very deep lows we have been experiencing lately. That coupled with sudden drops in temperature aid condensation sticking to windows etc.
It can be worse if in the mornings your car is in the sun, the interior temperature inside the car builds but the exterior remains the same. You get the same effect as a cold glass of Beer, it gets wet on the outside because of the differing temperatures. Cold inside, warm outside. Well your windscreen is like the glass but in reverse. Also everytime you get in and out of the car in the rain you transfer moisture into the car, sticks to your seats, floor etc. This evaporates when the temperature inside the car rises and condenses on the cold windows.... Simple physics.
There is moisture in the air all the time, especially at this time of year - don't you notice the roads stay wet even if it hasn't been raining..??

I would only worry when there is water streaming down all your windows and forming puddles. Then you have a problem!

On sunny mornings and if your car is in the sun, open your windows about 2cm. That will let the hot air out - no condensation.... Simples. :cool:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks. I just read that thread and his issue seemed to be his quarter windows being stuck. Mine are still working.
Or did you refer me to that one due to the possibility of the drains below the windows being clogged up?
Also, if those drains are clogged up, other than the window getting stuck what are the other potential symptoms? Asking as my rear carpets on the SL are wet and I’m trying to work out how they’re getting that way.
Because of the drains being blocked on the quarter windows

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. Is it windows out to get those unclogged or can you get to them some other way?
That I don’t know as I’ve only driven R230’s not spannered on them. I just know they leak (a lot) :( but are nice to drive when not leaking

6500RPM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350
Drains for rear windows, not sure if this will help or not.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Drains for rear windows, not sure if this will help or not.

Thanks. He seems to have the windows out already. Don’t fancy trying to take them out myself!
Would be great if there was a way to clear the drains some other way.

6500RPM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350
Thanks. He seems to have the windows out already. Don’t fancy trying to take them out myself!
Would be great if there was a way to clear the drains some other way.
I have not investigated these drains yet, but if they drain into the rear arches, could you not clear them going backwards?

Last edited:

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I have not investigated these drains yet, but if they drain into the rear arches, could you not clear them going backwards?
Thanks. Worth a try once I get the inside dry.
From the video they seem to drain out of the same place in the arches as the drains under the pointy ends of the boot lid.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I am sure those two holes are the extension of the holes in the rubber seal you can see when the top is down. On mine I blew these through with compressed air. Might be worth me doing these again me thinks :rolleyes:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Why does the gf hate aircon ? Very little extra fuel is used these days with it on , it dries the air and keeps moisture out the car .
Try and sell it to her that the new frecious filters combined with aircon filter out soot and other nasty micro particles that would otherwise end up in her lungs :D (it’s not true but might let you run the aircon )
Failing that get a new one in the New Year :rolleyes:

Leave a pushbike by back door next time u go out.wid aircon on .simples.

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I am sure those two holes are the extension of the holes in the rubber seal you can see when the top is down. On mine I blew these through with compressed air. Might be worth me doing these again me thinks :rolleyes:

I've got it booked in later in the week to get it looked at (along with another job) so will report back when they've had a look.

Washed it earlier today and didn't see any leaks where I had seen them before - on the small ledges by the rear quarter windows.

It could well be the drains below the side windows, just not sure how to get to them without taking the windows off.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I've got it booked in later in the week to get it looked at (along with another job) so will report back when they've had a look.

Washed it earlier today and didn't see any leaks where I had seen them before - on the small ledges by the rear quarter windows.

It could well be the drains below the side windows, just not sure how to get to them without taking the windows off.

Hope they can sort it, you'll keep us up date though wont you ;) :)

Tju

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 OM642, A209 320, W220 OM648
If you have determined it is not damp related, wash the inside of the windows with warm soapy water, to remove the film that builds up on the inside of the glass from the constant use of Air Con, this works for me!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom