Stolen Petrol Advice

efunc

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but here goes. A few days ago I noticed that the fuel cover flap on my 1995 W202 C220 had been prized open and the petrol cap was lying in the road. I got in and put the key in the ignition just to check where the fuel guage was because I had recently filled the tank. It looked like the needle was still on 3/4 full so I left things as they were without starting it up and just tried to force the fuel cap back down. Then tonight I went to actually start the car up but realised there may not be any petrol in it after all (the guage is unreliable and this time it was showing empty). Anyway, when I turned the ignition I heard a really loud horrible grinding sound under car and the car didn't start. I immediately turned it off and took the key out of the ignition. I'd probably tried turning it over for only about 3 seconds or so.

Anyway, my question is, is that the sound of the fuel punp? It really sounded loud and I could feel the vibration through the seat. Have I done any damage by trying to start it without any fuel (if that's really the case)?
Finally, If indeed the fuel tank has been sucked dry what's the safest way to get fuel circulating again? Should I fill up the tank and let it sit for a day to let the fuel settle back through the system, or will that happen very quickly after filling it?

I really can't believe the amount of damage people are willing to do for the sake of about £50 worth of petrol. Truly shocking! But my priority right now is getting this running again. Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
It is really worrying the amount of crime as a reflection on the state of society.
Sorry for your problem.
You are going to have to move forewards with this. 1) Have you reported it to the police. 2) You will need to get some fuel in there to test, maybe 2 gallons at most. 3) Once fuel in switch ignition to position 2 (not on) as this primes fuel pump. do this is a few times before firing her up.
Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Do you think I might have done any damage to the pump by turning it over completely dry for a couple of seconds? I'll fill up a couple of jerry cans and see if it comes back to life. The next issue will be trying to fix the buckled fuel flap to try to get it to close properly.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Regarding the noise and vibration, are you sure they haven’t stolen your catalytic converter as well?

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
Regarding the noise and vibration, are you sure they haven’t stolen your catalytic converter as well?
Not sure to be honest, but a real worry now! The car doesn't look like it's been disturbed, apart from the petrol flap and rear quarter. I guess it would be difficult to do in the road and there ought to be signs of other damage or disturbance, but I'll just have to deal with the fuel issue first and then see. :(

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
there are lots of vids online about cats being stolen. jack up the car, use a electric saw and they done in 10 mins.

You won’t see any disturbance just the car sounding like an animal

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the reply. Do you think I might have done any damage to the pump by turning it over completely dry for a couple of seconds? I'll fill up a couple of jerry cans and see if it comes back to life. The next issue will be trying to fix the buckled fuel flap to try to get it to close properly.
Unlikely. the fuel pump sits much higher than the tank. unlikely it’s all drained back/bone dry.

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm guessing the noise I heard then is the catalytic converter. I can't believe they've bothered to take that off an old merc. I'll report it now but will likely write off the car.

abazem

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 cdi /2004/OM647
That is terrible, pardon my ignorance but what do they do with stolen cat converters? Where are they used, is there an industry in UK or europe that is thriving on stolen converters?

Steve Varney

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W126 500 SE, W202 180, T1 307d
That is terrible, pardon my ignorance but what do they do with stolen cat converters? Where are they used, is there an industry in UK or europe that is thriving on stolen converters?
they contain precious metals which have a high scrap value

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Pump usually sits just in front of the tank on the drivers side.

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
Definitely the cat. I got under the car to check. They've cut the exhaust cleanly at both ends. That explains the racket.

I've spent about £1500 looking after this car in the past year (brakes, tyres, servicing, etc) but unfortunately a genuine catalytic converter will likely be over £1200 alone. I don't have the funds for that, and insurance probably won't cover it. Can anyone recommend where to look, or what brand aftermarket part to get as a replacement? Hopefully something that won't sound cheap and noisey?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
B&M catalysts probably worth a look. They are cheap, and will scrape through an MoT test, just. Probably the most cost effective solution

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom