STOP GAP S600

OP
P

Purso

MBO Forum Event Organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
John, it was your fault, when you said 2 had come up that made my decision for me. It has the night vision the rear entertainment contour seats, two way tv I need to have a good play with it only picked it up today and was in a rush to get to the office so not familiar yet.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
John, it was your fault, when you said 2 had come up that made my decision for me. It has the night vision the rear entertainment contour seats, two way tv I need to have a good play with it only picked it up today and was in a rush to get to the office so not familiar yet.
I get the blame for many things !
However I've been adopting a resist ,resist, resist mentality for 6 months or so, even when I got the E63!! (Not that I'd give that up)

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
I need to get used to the 65 and the 600 (when its back from the garage) and decide what I am going to keep but given the fact I might not see another with the mileage colour etc I thought I would do it and see what I like best and sell the other.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
After a week with the 600 you won't want anything else for a couple of years at least.
- Hope that's soon, now. -Enjoy!

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
You think thats the one to have over the 65 then Dave?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You think thats the one to have over the 65 then Dave?
No not necessarily - I always liked any of the "big" Mercs. I just think you'll be happily set up with finger tip toys and enough poke to do silly things at the traffic light if you really wanted to that you'll be very happy with your lot and that stop gap may well last longer than you expect!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I think once you drive the 65 in a spirited way you might get addicted...just my twopence though as I've not driven a 600

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Either way John, it's a Merc - let's face it we're all more or less addicted!

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
I have driven the 600 about 100 miles before mobilo saved the day and I have driven the 65 about 20 miles and there something about the 65 already! will report back with more feedback once I have put a few more miles on her. Have cars and coffee and goodwood this weekend so should get a few good journies under the belt!

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Got the 600 back yesterday and it is sooooo nice but can't get the way the 65 is just angry out of my mind.

The way it sounds the way it puts the power down and I haven't used sport in the gear box yet and only use sport in the 600 gearbox and abc sport allows flatish cornering in the 65 and just doesn't feel the same in the 600. Saying that I am taking the 600 to the festival of speed if my tickets materialise!
1d4df8255b166f947fd27e67cccc537d.jpg
c37b4e1c1575570a4973dcfefd58e274.jpg
3709bdbb892d71b4737787f2f5b43b4c.jpg
f7e917599252c2ea23eae7054c7552dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
Interesting comments, because when I drove the CL600 my thoughts were what a lovely smooth car with such as smooth powerful engine. This of course got me wondering what the CL65 would be like. I didn't have the opportunity/luxury to try each model back to back like you but even a week or so between driving the cars convinced me the CL65 was a bit of an animal compared to the 600. They both look to be the later facelift cars with the improved coil pack and voltage thingy too so tut's one potential headache out the way or at least minimised.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Interesting comments, because when I drove the CL600 my thoughts were what a lovely smooth car with such as smooth powerful engine. This of course got me wondering what the CL65 would be like. I didn't have the opportunity/luxury to try each model back to back like you but even a week or so between driving the cars convinced me the CL65 was a bit of an animal compared to the 600. They both look to be the later facelift cars with the improved coil pack and voltage thingy too so tut's one potential headache out the way or at least minimised.

ater coilpacks (later part numbers) are the same internally. Only difference is the sealing in the plastic.

Its heat and age that kills them.

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
ater coilpacks (later part numbers) are the same internally. Only difference is the sealing in the plastic.

Its heat and age that kills them.
I've probably asked this before but in my forensic examination of my car before it went off for its service I noticed very new looking labels on the coil packs on both sides of the engine. Is there a part number that identifies new and old part numbers?

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Thanks for the nice comments gents, drove the 600 down to goodwood and had a 4 hour ish journey home which was probably the nicest car I could have hoped for given kids were in the back entertained watching disney films and me and the mrs were having the most relaxing journey home you can being stuck in traffic and covering reasonable distance etc. Then had to run some errands on my own which the car really demonstrated its split personality and it was really fun.

I think the 600 is naturally sedate and can be wild where as the 65 is naturally wild and can be more wild and I love that asbo style so my thoughts are probably the 65 but not 100% decided but think that is the way I will go. Might put them both up for sale and see which one sells first so I don't have to make the decision myself.

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
Although not in quite the same league I have the same situation with my much loved old Phaeton. It does mean having two barges in the drive but there are times I love the serene nature of the Phaeton (it's a V10 5 litre twin turbo diesel) and just can't bring myself to sell it. Whereas the CL65 can sort of do serene but also ludicrous. I'll probably land up keeping the Phaeton as it owes me nothing and is as cheap as chips to run compared to the 65. Still at least you have the luxury of having the two and time to make a considered decision.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom