The Life & Times of an SL500

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
On the average mixed motoring that I do I get about 20.0mpg to 20.5mpg.
This is helped by my never using the SL for short journeys where the car is not expected to get to full working temperature.....I use the Volvo for all such journeys.

Mic

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current SL400 2016 R231 Previously owned SL500 2005 R230
Ah well, we can't justify keeping another car on the road just for short journeys, so daily use for everything is what she'll get.

Maybe I will do another "tot up" in due course just to see if it improves, or in fact gets worse due to even more short journeys! I figured that the extra cost of petrol would be offset by the savings of not running a "spare" car. If I don't use her for short journeys, she'd be mothballed most of the time! OH already has two other cars mothballed in the garage - so my car will always be a workhorse, but a very fine one indeed. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You must remember that a 320cdi does no better around town

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Does OH ever get a chance to enjoy this machine?

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes indeedy. :D I allowed him to drive me at the weekend to the plumbers merchants :rolleyes: and then to an Audi garage where we test drove an S4. Now that was QUICK! Trust me he won't be hankering after my V8 if we buy one of those........;)

Still trying to sell the Beemer.......and it keeps disappearing from the Autotrader mobile site. Ho hum....a call to them tomorrow from a very unhappy customer. :mad:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I drove by a Tellurite Silver SL500 on the m42 this morning en route to the train station ... I seriously felt like turning to my left , grinning and giving a big thumbs up .... But thought that might be childish and SL drivers are mature..aren't they?

But love that colour..def the faourite colour for a merc in my eyes....

I did wonder if it was you but prob too much of a coincidence!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I drove by a Tellurite Silver SL500 on the m42 this morning en route to the train station ... I seriously felt like turning to my left , grinning and giving a big thumbs up .... But thought that might be childish and SL drivers are mature..aren't they?

But love that colour..def the faourite colour for a merc in my eyes....

I did wonder if it was you but prob too much of a coincidence!

It has problems though, if you damage a panel it is impossible to match up, though the 744 paint is common it is dead easy to match up.

I saw one in that colour once being driven by a gorgeous blonde female, it was at sun down entering a car park , thinking back,,, was it the car that stuck in my mind:rolleyes:

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500

Nope, I got a cheesy grin and a thumbs up from someone in a black SL350 once :D

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
Another newbie here - had my 2007 SL350 for 4 days now, so enjoying Nemo's huge experience. SWMBO has owned a CLK convertible for 7yrs so much of the SL is familiar ...... but better, faster, lower, faster, wider, faster, prettier. And quicker too.

Probably won't do it but would you mind revealing the Warranty Direct premium?

Will post some first impressions in a few days - can I add my thanks to the frequent SL posters for their input - very re-assuring.

Cheers, Andy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Another newbie here - had my 2007 SL350 for 4 days now, so enjoying Nemo's huge experience. SWMBO has owned a CLK convertible for 7yrs so much of the SL is familiar ...... but better, faster, lower, faster, wider, faster, prettier. And quicker too.

Probably won't do it but would you mind revealing the Warranty Direct premium?

Will post some first impressions in a few days - can I add my thanks to the frequent SL posters for their input - very re-assuring.

Cheers, Andy

Dont forget its faster also :)

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
Oops :Oops::Oops: Thank you for pointing me to the right thread

Cheers, Andy

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Nope it wasn't me, but yes I had not realised that I was joining an elite club. :cool: I remember as a child that motorists used to acknowledge a fellow car/motorist, but that was a loooong time ago. ;)

OH & I were driving through town and a guy in an SL AMG passing the other way gave a nod of approval as he looked our way. Then again, another SL turned across me as I was sitting at some traffic lights and gave a smile. It might just be those AMG wheels though - maybe they think I've got something even better than I really have? :lol:

So it seems to be either road rage it induces by all those jealous drivers or a knowing smile from those in the club. :D

OP
Nemo20

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I saw one in that colour once being driven by a gorgeous blonde female, it was at sun down entering a car park , thinking back,,, was it the car that stuck in my mind:rolleyes:

Watch out for me Malc when I drive into Jamaica Inn - I'll do my best to bring that happy memory to life. ;)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just love driving my SL500 .... Drove home from station ..30 miles on the motorway so a nice enough drive .....then back home ... Garage door opens ..the car sweeps gently in and just purrrs to a halt....feel sad as i leave it behind.....

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
I just love driving my SL500 .... Drove home from station ..30 miles on the motorway so a nice enough drive .....then back home ... Garage door opens ..the car sweeps gently in and just purrrs to a halt....feel sad as i leave it behind.....

It's surprising how often I've "popped to the shops" since getting the SL500... also surprising how long it seems to take me and how many miles of motorway I have to traverse even though the shops are within walking distance of my house :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used to be able to take part in these SL500 threads :D:D:D

No one else has a CL500 so now I sit here all lonesome :(:(:(

I cant even find anyone that can help me fit a door handle, The guy at MB Exeter was stumped, I am too

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I used to be able to take part in these SL500 threads :D:D:D

No one else has a CL500 so now I sit here all lonesome :(:(:(

I cant even find anyone that can help me fit a door handle, The guy at MB Exeter was stumped, I am too

surely the door handle cant be THAT difficult? even if it IS on the 216!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
surely the door handle cant be THAT difficult? even if it IS on the 216!

Well I am quite handy, but it has beat me, it has beat the MB guy. I thought I know, I will look up the lock removal,,, the first thing it says is "remove handle"

I have asked on Benzworld and MB world, but just nothing, it is the same as the 221

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom