Throttle reset (Accelerator reset)

yellowspringuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi MY2005
I read somewhere on the web that you can do a throttle reset on your car, it goes like this:
switch Ignition (don't start engine)
depress throttle for 10 sec and release ( you should hear a beep)
turn key to position 1/0 ( not quite sure which is which)
wait 2mins and start engine
This is suppose to reset your ecu to defualt making it re-learn your driving style again as if you just took delivery

IS THIS TRUE????

Is this the correct procedure? as this will be good if you bought second hand or have had your car for a while.

Apologies if this has been covered in the past.

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
It resets the throttle body sensitivity - can't remember if that procudere is exactly right though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do you mean for Motronic

speedybiker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
none
Get in the car
Insert the Key
Turn it to the Run position, but do not start the car (turn the key to the last position before starting)
Floor the throttle pedal for 5-10 seconds, Turn the key to off, with the throttle still floored
Let off the throttle
Start the car

Some say wait two minutes before starting, some say it doesn't matter

Regards,

Alex.

mr. serious

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the above technique(s) yet? Any reports about its/their effectiveness?

I ask as I have had a recent issue with a new MAF, and it was suggeseted that I do the following... 'Withthe battery connected leave the ignition on for 30 seconds then turn it off for 20 seconds. Start it up and this should re-set it'.... which made no difference.

Who is right? Can ANYONE come up with a definitive answer/correct technique? :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For Motronic.

Battery off 10 mins
battery on ign on 10secs
ign off 10 secs
ign on 10 secs crank and start

speedybiker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
none
I've had my car for about 2 months, I read about it on a forum and decided to try it.

I made sure that I drove the car for a couple of day's to get used to how it felt.
Then I tried the reset and I did notice a difference.

Problem I have is that I don't use the Mercedes all that much, my wife uses it more than I do, and the damn thing seems to learn how she drives, and it's back to normal for me and can't be bothered re-setting it when I drive it maybe once a week.

In short I think it does make a difference.
Hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Alex.

mr. serious

Reaction score
Thanks. So, as it stands I have three different methods quoted here, which one do I do? I have a 2000 model w208 clk 320 coupe... Thanks.

OP
yellowspringuk

yellowspringuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi MY2005
Get in the car
Insert the Key
Turn it to the Run position, but do not start the car (turn the key to the last position before starting)
Floor the throttle pedal for 5-10 seconds, Turn the key to off, with the throttle still floored
Let off the throttle
Start the car

Regards,

Alex.
Alex i think you got it right, by the way i just tried it in my car and i can feel the diffrence, mine is a w203

mr. serious

Reaction score
Yes, my sentiments exactly! I too have just tried both the latest ideas and after trying the 'beep' one first and not hearing the beep, (I thought it logical to do this first) I tried the second way-Alex's, and the car started first time. You will have to see my 'oh my god!!!' post for an explanation if anyone's interested :rolleyes:!! :-?

Took her down the road and it seemed the MAF sensor was NOT duff afterall and that C55Black was right about the throttle flap needing resetting, but didnt quite give the right explanation on how to reset it?? I dunno? :confused:

BUT, after some damn good thrashing antics, the kangaroo juice problem crept back again. So, I thought perhaps the throttle flap could to do with another 'reset', so I performed the procedure once more, started the car again (first time-didnt die), let her run for a few minutes, and switched off. I will see how she fairs tomorrow.

So, thanks for the excellent info Alex. It has definitely made a difference, even with a POSSIBLY duff MAF!!

Cheers, Ian

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
yep i think it resets sothing to do with the gearbox, as this works most on automatic cars, on a manual some peoplesay it maks a difference, i dont think it does...but on autos defintly.

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202 C230 Kompressor
Get in the car
Insert the Key
Let off the throttle
Start the car

Regards,

Alex.

Will that reset a W202 1997 C230 K too ??

If so, sorry to ask Throttle Pedal = Gas Pedal ????

Thanks for any advise

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am sure that your car has Motronic engine control, if it has it will be as in post number 6

bernardtam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202 C230 Kompressor
I am sure that your car has Motronic engine control, if it has it will be as in post number 6

Hi Television !

Thanks for your quick reply and are you able to tell me "throttle pedal" = Gas Padal ?? I only know there are 3 Padels in my car, Gas, Brake and the Parking Brake !! Haha !! May be there are more but I don't know

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Television !

Thanks for your quick reply and are you able to tell me "throttle pedal" = Gas Padal ?? I only know there are 3 Padels in my car, Gas, Brake and the Parking Brake !! Haha !! May be there are more but I don't know

Gas pedal is the throttle, sorry I forgot that bit

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom