THS IS A POST ON BEHALF OF LINDA REASON BY REQUEST.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Early models of this engine were known for burning a valve seat that was cut too thin. I'd have thought 2005 was past that point, but possibly not. What you describe fits with a poor seating valve.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
When you get your problem resolved, I used this place http://stores.ebay.co.uk/car-mod-shop-ltd to buy LHD headlights. Good price about £250 from memory, arrived in three days even at Christmas, with all the bulbs in place and CE marked which they will check at the CT in France. It took me about 2 hours to fit and have worked perfectly for over two years.
I still have the list of paperwork you need to get it registered if that helps.
Hope your problem is sorted soon.
Regards.

LindaR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 K Sport Edition Auto/2005/1796cc
I'll be traveling Normandy to Bordeaux if that works?
I'll also have STAR with me (the kit not the member).

Hello - it's me again! Just to give you an update, you will have seen the comments from other members. We haven't yet taken the car to another garage for a second opinion, mostly because there isn't a garage near here that we have any faith in, but also partly because the car isn't driveable, so getting it to another garage would be expensive.

If you are still planning to come near our area in a week or so, we would be REALLY grateful if you would call in and take a look at the car. I was quite serious about the offer of a bed for the night, if that would help you - and an evening meal too, of course.

Kind regards

Linda

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hello - it's me again! Just to give you an update, you will have seen the comments from other members. We haven't yet taken the car to another garage for a second opinion, mostly because there isn't a garage near here that we have any faith in, but also partly because the car isn't driveable, so getting it to another garage would be expensive.

If you are still planning to come near our area in a week or so, we would be REALLY grateful if you would call in and take a look at the car. I was quite serious about the offer of a bed for the night, if that would help you - and an evening meal too, of course.

Kind regards

Linda
No need for a bed etc - I need to be in the Charente Maritime that night to pick up my other half following morning from Bordeaux.
Let me see what I can do in terms of timings.

LindaR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, maybe you should come here the day before and stay that night - seeing your friends near Chapelle Neuve, us AND getting to Charente Maritime by that evening could be a challenge!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Well, maybe you should come here the day before and stay that night - seeing your friends near Chapelle Neuve, us AND getting to Charente Maritime by that evening could be a challenge!
Day before I'm at the Normandy GTG staying with ajlsl600 and his wife :)

I'm good at challenges.....

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Well done for the effort.

But it wasn't much of a surprise,
sometimes re-timing the engine to see if it runs ok first,
if not then replace the timing chain sprockets and tensioner valves etc.
I've had a few that didn't hit the valves but usually its a head off job.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This will definitely need sprockets and chains. Valves may be ok.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
This will definitely need sprockets and chains. Valves may be ok.

Doubt the valves ok, it’s lost compression on a cyl. if it was just timing, then the compressions would still be even, maybe a bit lower.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Once running it was ok - no sign of compression loss but difficult to start and on last attempt it may have jumped another tooth. All be clear once it's apart.

LindaR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks so much LW for your help. Really nice to meet you - and thanks to everyone else who responded. We're sending the car back to the UK to our son's garage, now we know what's wrong and that it's within economical repair. Will let you know the outcome eventually.

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
I just did some Googling after I read this thread as I also have a M271 engine as Linda and got a bit scared reading of this problem being quite common. I came across this thread on preventative maintenance: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-ge...timing-chain-camshaft-adjuster-sprockets.html

In the thread, the OP refers to a supplier of M271 timing sprocket replacement kits on his website (merc271.com) that are more robust in quality than the original.

I thought I'd share this as I'm not sure if it would be of any help to you in getting one of those kits when getting yours repaired, seeing as it was more for preventative maintenance than a repair. Hopefully someone more experienced here could shed some light as I'm a novice.

Anyways, keep us updated with the repair as I'm interested to know how it goes and whether it did end up being economical to repair. Good luck :)

p.s. LostKiwi, you're a gent.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I just did some Googling after I read this thread as I also have a M271 engine as Linda and got a bit scared reading of this problem being quite common. I came across this thread on preventative maintenance: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-ge...timing-chain-camshaft-adjuster-sprockets.html

In the thread, the OP refers to a supplier of M271 timing sprocket replacement kits on his website (merc271.com) that are more robust in quality than the original.

I thought I'd share this as I'm not sure if it would be of any help to you in getting one of those kits when getting yours repaired, seeing as it was more for preventative maintenance than a repair. Hopefully someone more experienced here could shed some light as I'm a novice.

Anyways, keep us updated with the repair as I'm interested to know how it goes and whether it did end up being economical to repair. Good luck :)

p.s. LostKiwi, you're a gent.
The M271 discussion crops up regularly on the forum ...I've got one as well . I'm at 65k at the moment .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks so much LW for your help. Really nice to meet you - and thanks to everyone else who responded. We're sending the car back to the UK to our son's garage, now we know what's wrong and that it's within economical repair. Will let you know the outcome eventually.
Linda it was my pleasure to meet you and Mike and to be able to help out. I'm just disappointed it wasn't better news for you both.
I hope you're feeling more mobile soon. All the best.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
"80k" is the time to have it inspected but I recommend now.
Thanks , I know you are right . I'll probably get Alex Crow to look at it next time he's doing some work .

LindaR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We're currently waiting for our Mercedes C180 K to be transported back to the UK to be fixed at our son's garage. The transport isn't coming until the end of June, though, and we're worrying about the battery going flat. The car can't be started at the moment, so we can't run the engine to charge the battery and we don't want to take it off the car as we have no idea what the radio code is! How can we safely charge the battery without disconnecting it?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom