Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
The sensitivity of the Torque Converter to Glycol contamination was due to
the materiel fabrication, mild steel.
The temperarure at which to dip the box was 80 deg' C, the fill level is half way between min & max on the stick.
The oil temp' may be checked by using a thermistor lowered down the dipstick
fill tube.
The viscosity of the ATF dose not change with temperature, as viscosity is
merely the relationship or graphicaly the curve where one axis shows temp' &
the other pour rate. ( Pour Rate = flow of a given volume of a liquid through a
given orifice, time taken being the variable).

Antifreeze lowers the freezing point of the coolant, it cannot therefore raise the boiling point as well. Pressurizing the system does that.

The level quoted in the TSB posted on this thread indecated a box failure point of 300 mg of contaminant per Litre. One litre of genuine MB ATF ( MB recognise Televisions Pt' no') weighs 0.870 Kg.

This I believe as a percentage by weight works out to approx' 3.5%

I have to say that this seems very arbitary considering the issue's at stake.
As a hopefully intelligent customer if I had made this sort of investment say
£30-£40k in a Merc' I would expect a comprehensive detailed dialogue and assurance from the dealer.

TB:idea:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thank you teddy Bear for bring up the glycol boiling point, At the time when Blobcat posted that wrong info, this subject was very heated, this would go show that much of any liquid would soon evaporate, though test are at 80c transmissions can boil (towing mountains). As the boiling point of the fluid is much higher than for water that will be the case, and also the reason that none is visible on a dip stick, so little if any remaining in the gear box to do further damage

The cost of an item bares no relationship on the dealer having to say what was done. The reason that most firms will not give a break down is because this was a free repair.

In the case of a chargeable repair If you asked for a detailed invoice,then you have the right to one.

The reason that a detailed note of what was done is not given is that this could be used against the seller at a later date.

Below is an answer that I posted in the other thread on the subject in the General Section. If you can get more good luck.

I gave the same answer in the thread where the fault was discussed, you cant have more than what MB have done, this repair was done under the guarantee with no quibble. Any dealer can access what was done in the future as the work is stored on the main computer.
No firm is obliged to give any information as to what was done, other than to say that it was modified to the latest repair.

In this case you have a White circular spot on the top of your oil cooler that indicates that the mod and repair has been done.

No firm is obliged by law to extend any guarantee, beyond that of the original.
Even if the article was replaced with a new one, the guarantee expires from the replacement at the same time as the original, if this was not the case, no one would be in business.

A firm can offer a voluntary extended guarantee on a repair work done, but do not have to.

Sadly this is the what eric has done by scarring this man to death with hypothetical stories not based on fact

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
The sensitivity of the Torque Converter to Glycol contamination was due to
the materiel fabrication, mild steel.
The temperarure at which to dip the box was 80 deg' C, the fill level is half way between min & max on the stick.
The oil temp' may be checked by using a thermistor lowered down the dipstick
fill tube.
The viscosity of the ATF dose not change with temperature, as viscosity is
merely the relationship or graphicaly the curve where one axis shows temp' &
the other pour rate. ( Pour Rate = flow of a given volume of a liquid through a
given orifice, time taken being the variable).

Antifreeze lowers the freezing point of the coolant, it cannot therefore raise the boiling point as well. Pressurizing the system does that.

The level quoted in the TSB posted on this thread indecated a box failure point of 300 mg of contaminant per Litre. One litre of genuine MB ATF ( MB recognise Televisions Pt' no') weighs 0.870 Kg.

This I believe as a percentage by weight works out to approx' 3.5%

I have to say that this seems very arbitary considering the issue's at stake.
As a hopefully intelligent customer if I had made this sort of investment say
£30-£40k in a Merc' I would expect a comprehensive detailed dialogue and assurance from the dealer.

TB:idea:

Very interesting CRAP, Where did you dream this one up?

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
I'm A Name Not A Number

be carefull Eric because you and I were reared in the same stable......so if I'm
a idiot so are you............whoops!! .... now have I got that the wrong way around?

for somebody claiming to lead a contented existance your a jeep with a very
narky horn.........do you treat your customers to your bad manners?

The percentage is incorrect I'm not a metric person. If you dont have access
to Main Dealer diagnostic's then the rest is correct. I'm having my ATF changed on Friday.

I'm sorry eric I'll try not to talk crap again............ I dont want to steal your
pitch. perhaps its all that rice and pollution eh, bad for the stomach huh ?
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I am so sorry that my post count bugs you and Blobcat, it buged Blobcat from the day he joined.
Around your first year anniversary (14-03-2006) I congratulated you on ~1,800 posts in one year, you replied that you had not started posting until around May 05 so it was in less than 6 months. I am not concerned in the slightest by your or any other members post count. I can if you desire request that the post count be removed.

There is only 1 member who has complained about their post count and refused to post further until they got their missing numbers back when they thought they had lost posts.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You are assuming that the coolant retains the same range as water it does not. Pls take a look here (prevents freezing down to -69 centigrade and boil-over to 150 centigrade). Pretty nifty stuff for £9.99

Thank you teddy Bear for bring up the glycol boiling point, At the time when Blobcat posted that wrong info, this subject was very heated, this would go show that much of any liquid would soon evaporate, though test are at 80c transmissions can boil (towing mountains). As the boiling point of the fluid is much higher than for water that will be the case, and also the reason that none is visible on a dip stick, so little if any remaining in the gear box to do further damage
Very quick to accuse members of posting incorrect information when a quick search would realise that the info posted was correct.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very quick to accuse members of posting incorrect information when a quick search would realise that the info posted was correct.

What is the spec of MB antifreeze

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Like little kids. "give me back my toy or else i'm telling mummy"

robbo

Reaction score
Seems to be turning into some kind of bizarre of willy waving contest!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm I have left this thread open to give you an opportunity to answer some of the questions posed. You have decided not to do that but to ridicule other members instead. You have therefore come in for a lot of flack on this as well as other threads most recently. I would therefore suggest instead of trying to get out by asking for the thread to be closed you re-read your posts and think on them before replying further.

What happens next is in your hands.[/QUOTE

Blobcat.

Post 27 . when I had said nothing wrong and I asked for the pushing around to stop.

Post 33 I asked eric to stop after drinkies as the post was going knowwhere.

Post 34 eric started to insult me.

Post 39 Panosonic insulted me, at no time had I insulted him.

Post 43 I asked panosonic to stop making fun of me

Post 44 Panosonic had another go

Panosinics link to MBclub uk on this subject also upset a lot of people on that forum, and it did not go down well

You are out of order saying that I have ridiculed anyone very much, there is more here against me. And not 1 where I started anything

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the facts and all of it before you play your head teacher role

ridiculed members isnt that plural when you mean eric
Panosonic started his abuse many time and I hardly said a word back

You give me a chance to answer questions posed, what is this, you cant find any fault with what I have posted

If you had read the post you would see that I said that I have never opened one, isnt it obvious that I do not know what is inside the torque converter.

I have come in for a lot of flack recently you say, thats a joke.

The expert eric comes onto a post re the sun sensor, when a guy asked where they were and says they are always a source of trouble and they are in the center between the grills, even when I put up the photo, eric said that they were not sun sensors ans made fun of me, thats ok ????
The only snag with erics opening statement is that I could not find one link on any forum where there were faulty sensors, or with MB.

90% of erics answers are wrong, today S500 engine,. brake pad sensors, engine idle, the list is endless

I have PM you and said that 3 good members have left over eric, you denied that, stats007 has not been back since the ADS thread with eric, threads ruined that you have not even seen.

If I were to speak the truth on many of these things,you would ban me.

Tell me some threads were I have taken flack when eric has not been in the picture.

Slynky said that I could ask for help if something got out of hand, this is the third time that you have refused to help, maybe you should step down as a mod.
And once again you have messed up the meet for me, thanks a million

Dont forget to see erics rude post to Teddy Bear

OP
S

Stephen720

Reaction score
I returned to the dealers today armed with some (but not all!) of the information you guys have submitted.

The dealers tell me that in the past, a new radiator, torque converter and gearbox was fitted to resolve the problems I originally posted. Now, however, MB have decided (in their wisdom?) that if the glycol count is small, a new gearbox is not necessary.

Despite the number of contributions to this debate, I had nothing conclusive to substantiate or dispute the MB decision.

Obviously, in an ideal world, I would have preferred the belt & braces repair to this problem which included a replacement transmission & I will back this view in writing to the dealership.

I was, however, pleased that the service department had squared up to the problem and given me the facts instead of the dodging and whitewash I had previously experienced. In the circumstances, I genuinely believe that if the gearbox should subsequently fail, MB would replace without a fight.

In addition, going forward, I was undecided about renewing an extended warranty but now, given this experience, I have no hesitation. The potential of some very serious repair bills on these cars is too frightening to ignore. Indeed, I am proposing to sign up to an MB service plan which gives the cover of a warranty and includes servicing at a cost only slightly in excess of a warranty alone.

I am sorry this debate turned into, at times, an unruly slanging match. As a new member I would never have known that this might have materialised. But I have no regrets since at the end of the day it must be important that all the members of the forum have some idea of who the contributors are and what their motive is for some of the postings. I suspect that this debate is not quite over.

Regardless of that, from my point of view, you gave me some interesting "facts" to square up politely to the dealers and for that I thank you. Behind the in-fighting, you provide an invaluable service. Its best you do not forget that!

I also have a 1986 420SL with ABS problems.................No, I'll save that for another day!!

Thanks again.

Stephen

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the reply Stephen, I am now closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom