Total Closure possible cause\cure

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i understand that malcolm, i am just pointing out how the can B bus will be awake when you press the fob.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
i understand that malcolm, i am just pointing out how the can B bus will be awake when you press the fob.

I am so sorry Alex I was thinking in bed with what you said, and of coarse yes the RF is working simultaneously with the IR and this will run the CAN for a few seconds.

CITYBOY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C180 Blueeffiffiency 1.8 W204 {2012}
Yes but where is the recieving lens on a C180k,
John

OP
M

mrsdoyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320CDI (164) 2007
Do you think this is an optical problem?, or something to do with the key or reciever.
Because it seems to me that the closure system is working ok when the recirc button is pressed.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I've wondered if the IR lens in the door handle has become 'opaque' i.e badly scratched or contaminated somehow.

OP
M

mrsdoyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320CDI (164) 2007

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Nice idea, based on the principle of a fresnel lens. Still wont close the damn windows though even if tape or a lens made a difference.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Funny you should say that because i thought the same thing and polished the lens on mine.
At first it worked and i thought i had cracked it but then the ****** thing stopped working again. I have heard of putting slightly opaque tape over the lens to increase the angle that you have to hold the remote at. take a look at this.

The IR receiver on my W202, 1994, is supposed to be located in the rear view mirror, there is no lens as such on the mirror or anywhere else on the car so perhaps what you are polishing may be just the LED indicators in the door handle.

What I’m getting at is that maybe the IR signal can be received through solid plastic and doesn’t need a lens as such.

Below is my door handle LEDs, pointing directly at these LEDs won’t work the central locking, only by pointing at the rear view mirror through the window glass will operate the central locking.

Dec

attachment.php

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IR beams pass through scratched plastic with ease, just take the average remote at home that the kids and the dogs chew and they still work

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Do theywork any better at night? Just wondered if their getting swamped out.

OP
M

mrsdoyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320CDI (164) 2007
The IR receiver on my W202, 1994, is supposed to be located in the rear view mirror, there is no lens as such on the mirror or anywhere else on the car so perhaps what you are polishing may be just the LED indicators in the door handle.

What I’m getting at is that maybe the IR signal can be received through solid plastic and doesn’t need a lens as such.

Below is my door handle LEDs, pointing directly at these LEDs won’t work the central locking, only by pointing at the rear view mirror through the window glass will operate the central locking.

Dec

Mines a w203 it's completly different to the one in the photo. What i polished is definitely the IR reciever lens.

OP
M

mrsdoyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320CDI (164) 2007
If i am right the IR in the fob must be working ok because it starts the car. Myself and others here have tried holding the fob up against the reciever with no response. So my guess is that the reciever is not very good or faulty. Does that make sense?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If i am right the IR in the fob must be working ok because it starts the car. Myself and others here have tried holding the fob up against the reciever with no response. So my guess is that the reciever is not very good or faulty. Does that make sense?

There are two circuits in the key, one for the remote and the other for starting, each has its own IR sender LED in the key, one each side of the board

OP
M

mrsdoyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320CDI (164) 2007
You're right i bought a replacement fob on ebay because the case was cracked. When i was swapping the innards over i noticed that on my original there were 2 led's on the curcuit board and on the replacement there was only one.
So after what you say malcolm, there is still a possibility that it could be a key fob problem.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A hard question now as there is no information, I do not think it can be the key as that is only capable of sending a certain stream of bits, and these cannot change, the total closing can also only work once the car has locked the doors, so this must be within the cars ECU's for the locking

OP
M

mrsdoyle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320CDI (164) 2007
I am amazed that there seems to be no fix for this. What's even harder to understand is how a IR remote on a £30 dvd player can work almost faultlessly yet on an expensive Mercedes it works intermittently. What's your best guess Malcolm as to what is causing it to fail.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am amazed that there seems to be no fix for this. What's even harder to understand is how a IR remote on a £30 dvd player can work almost faultlessly yet on an expensive Mercedes it works intermittently. What's your best guess Malcolm as to what is causing it to fail.

Remotes on a dedicated system like a TV or DVD sends out an exact command, you want to open the draw and the remote sends out an exact stream to do that. Now on the cars we do not have a separate button for the total closing, this comes into play after the car has been locked and the stream of IR pulses continue to be sent for the total closing function, it is at this point where the unknown comes into play

malc01m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi coupe 2002
Remotes on a dedicated system like a TV or DVD sends out an exact command, you want to open the draw and the remote sends out an exact stream to do that. Now on the cars we do not have a separate button for the total closing, this comes into play after the car has been locked and the stream of IR pulses continue to be sent for the total closing function, it is at this point where the unknown comes into play

hi all, new to this so bear with me! bought myself a 02 c220 coupe with a few niggly things to repair! and this forum has been very useful reading, just thought i would share some info about the convenience open and close which seems to be a common problem,
mine did not work at all but found it very easy to repair, remove the door rubber behind handle and a small hole gives access to a torx screw that holds the lock and ir sensor, on mine the plug to the sensor was loose and the little locking tab looked like the heat had made it bend so no "click" to lock this means when door slammed it can "unplug" i just held in place with black tape and hey presto! works up to about 20ft away but you need to hold until fully open or shut.
happy with that even if i did waste time taking the whole door panel off before finding the access hole!
a few other things to fix so will be looking for some tips??
cheers
Mal

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom