Tyres

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Many thanks for the reply, it looks like it will be four tyres rather than two.
Tyres are suited to cars in such a way as to have safe levels of oversteer or understeer (in rare cases neutrality) mixing brands can easily upset the equilibrium of that completely and especially the cheaper brands who don’t give two hoots on tread design and purpose!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
With apologies to anyone who chooses to fit budget Chinese tyres but....

When we look at used cars (such as the CLK purchased recently) the presence of Chinese tyres is a warning sign to me that the owner may have skimped elsewhere. Not always the case but can be a pointer. So I look at images people often take of the wheels in the ads to try and ID the tyres. If the car is some way from us and the images show nothing then in my call to the seller I ask them to let me know the tyre makes.

We considered a few car makes when looking for this CLK and phoning about a 225bhp Alfa with "all new tyres" proudly mentioned in the advert I soon lost interest when I asked the guy the brand and he said "oh just some Chinese rubbish, but they're all brand new". Why would you do that to a car known for its driving qualities??
You are completely correct- I agree.
You may be ‘lucky’ in that the seller is just about to sell, realises their tyres are duff and replaces whatever is cheapest.....maybe those folks will have maintained the car adequately but....

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
What you guys are forgetting is that top brand tyres are from China now, and have been for a long time. I have 3 of my cars fitted with Chinese brands, no problems, I have Goodyears which are brilliant and Continental Contac things and these happen to be the most dangerous gripless tyres in wet and dry conditions that I have ever come across!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What you guys are forgetting is that top brand tyres are from China now, and have been for a long time. I have 3 of my cars fitted with Chinese brands, no problems, I have Goodyears which are brilliant and Continental Contac things and these happen to be the most dangerous gripless tyres in wet and dry conditions that I have ever come across!
There's a bit of a difference between 'Chinese made tyres' and 'Chinese tyres' - just as there is a difference between an iPhone (made in China) and a no-brand Chinese phone.
I have no issues with Chinese made branded tyres (there a QC tests that will hopefully ensure the item is fit for use) but I do have issues with 'unbranded' or 'no-name' items that are often made to fulfil a requirement at the lowest possible cost with the minimum possible R&D.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Agree with you there especially with the no branded items ;)

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Reminds me that years ago, some brands of Japanese tyres on motorbikes were referred to as 'bananaskins' :)

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Reminds me that years ago, some brands of Japanese tyres on motorbikes were referred to as 'bananaskins' :)
Those would be Yokohama's then? Down our way we called them Teflon tyres, and anybody who valued their life had them changed from new.

Apparently, Yokohama make a perfectly respectable car tyre, although i've never bought one.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom