Very Very Confused - please help...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that we talked about this before, maybe over a PM. The power output/ torque does need to be matched to the gearbox so that changes are effected at the correct time, this is done via the engine and gearbox ECUs as they are on talking terms. When the power output is down the gearbox is not sure what to do, so in the limp home mode it just locks up. The marriage between the two is done with software programming and not with the gearbox itself, and its here where new software is adapted.

OP
O
Reaction score
I think that we talked about this before, maybe over a PM. The power output/ torque does need to be matched to the gearbox so that changes are effected at the correct time, this is done via the engine and gearbox ECUs as they are on talking terms. When the power output is down the gearbox is not sure what to do, so in the limp home mode it just locks up. The marriage between the two is done with software programming and not with the gearbox itself, and its here where new software is adapted.

we did, but that was in relation to the MAF sensor. I guess that O2 sensors would have a similar affect. However, this would imply that my car had issues before the fuel contamination as the lumpy gearbox has been a problem pretty much since I bought the car.

I've not really driven the car enough to get a full feeling for it yet. My initial feeling is that the gear chages are smoother but the car feels a little less responsive and somehow the enigne seems a little rougher when pushed hard. I suspect most of this is in my mind as, given past experiences, I am expecting something to go wrong. Obviously this is unfair to both MB and TP at this stage.

Like I said, I'll give it a week or so and see if my opinon changes at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom