W208 CLK AMG 2001 prices

Merc125

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver Arrow Sl R129 V8 5L, W208 AMG 55, Mazda MXV6 with 3L engine fitted,
Am seriously considering a W208 AMG CLK circa 2001 coupé, I have a W208 4.3 V8 and love it so thought a coupé AMG would be fun.

I have seen several and am considering a low mileage option circa 60k but finding it difficult to find benchmark value.

Would welcome any advice regarding price, condition, what to look for (Full Merc FSH ) am aware of rust issues in wings, boot etc but any mechanical aspects to look for that may materialise.

Thanks hope you can help me in my quest

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Engine mounts, check gearbox changes smoothly, engine is pretty much bulletproof.

The value is entirely in the amount of rust. Check EVERYWHERE.

I would say £3000-4000 would be a good amount for a well looked after one.

SteveX

Reaction score
Last silver one I saw in a cab was 7995, it had around 70k miles and looked in good condition.

Probably could have knocked him down to 7k, that was last summer.

Coupes are always cheaper, same as the W209, you can get a nice coupe for about 7-8k now but a nice cab is still around 11-12k so you may find a nice coupe for 4-5k

SteveX

Reaction score
Oh and yes as you know, most W208's have rust, the looked after non-rusty body is far and few between now, considering the low number of w208 55's around (perhaps one or two every four to six months) you may find it hard to find a rust free one. But then I would hope 55's would have been looked after a little more (purely because the cost more to buy and run, so hopefully the person owning one will have had the cash to spend out on maintaining it well).

I looked at lots of 320's before I got my W208, I thought I was not going to find a non-rusty one, but you may get lucky.

You already know places are rear arches, boot key lock area, fuel cap area, but not so known is a small section near to where the rear bumper attaches to the rear quarter on both sides.

The M113 will be strong as is the 5sp box, so shouldn't have any issues there on the 55.

Electrics can be an issue, engine related normally sensors such as TPS and MAF on those. Also the cats can rattle on the W208 55 after quite a bit of use, nothing major you can just cut them out and still pass the MOT.

Seat motors get lazy and can go, there's three on each seat if I recall, about 80 each from the dealer, but I guess your 430 already has them anyway.

The factory sound system with sub is pretty good for the age, should be sufficient and no real problems with it.

In honesty, it's pretty similar to what you have, just a bit more sporty, no huge difference so you should already be pretty clued up on what to look for :)

Good luck in the hunt!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also, w208 55 Cabrios are very very rare, I think only 30 or so ever imported into the UK so you will be hard pressed to find one.

OP
M

Merc125

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you so much, I have already enquired about one and had to tell the owner that his pride and joy has been clocked (thank goodness for MB records) I really like my 4.3 V8 convertible it is such a fantastic car.

So much so that I have decided to list for sale my BMW E30 325 Schwartz Black cabriolet with F/F from new MTec 2 kit inc suspension(BMW researched car build history and DVLA done the rest for small fee) car had lots of extras, consequently this is a rare car now as it is unrestored and an original unmolested cabriolet.
To my shame I only used it last year to go to the MOT station and back.
Yes truly
Its history is it lived most of its life in Chelsea and was first owned by a famous writer then musician.
I have kept it dry stored since I bought it 8 years ago and it and it is fun, but CLk V8 is so much better (sorry E 30 people).

Why an AMG Coupe I thought a coupé would be stiffer than a cabriolet and an AMG was a strong contender for M3's at the time.
I also really like the look of the W208.
It is a tragedy that most Mercedes of that era primarily suffer from corrosion and I will take extra care in looking at the areas you have highlighted, thank you.
My mother in law owns a genuine W208 CLK AMG cabriolet and is killing it slowly, I have asked to buy it off her to no avail and feel it may go to far soon as she is hard on it.

If you or anyone reading this know of a good genuine W208 CLK AMG please get in touch I am serious in my quest to find a good one.
I also missed what looked a good example one on the MB web sites in Nov it looked great and had FSH primarily main agent, sold before I could contact the owner ah well was not meant to be was that one.
But hopefully something will turn up soon.
Any more advice welcomed to be genned up is a good thing in my book, thanks again

Last edited:

SteveX

Reaction score
The W208 was always a cruiser more than a sporty car, the steering set up will always make it feel less responsive, the E30 on the other hand can really be made to handle very, very well. I once had an E30 325i coupe stripped out as a track car. M-Tech E30's are lovely. The engine is great too other than the odd head gasket issue due to the odd choice or cooling channel shape / design. My 325i had nearly 200k on and I was still using it on the track, whisper quiet engine and never used a drop of oil.

I'm not a fan of the sound of the BMW straight six though, not the m20 or b52, with a pipe on they sound like a rattly raspy bag of bolts lol, give me a V8 any day!

Keep trying on the cab, you might get it off of her :)

Coupe is lighter, I don't think it will handle that much better, the cab's have steel bars going from the plate on the sump to the outer centre of the floor plan, same at the rear from the wheel well to the centre. Other than that, unless there is a lot of other strengthening hidden I haven't seen much else underneath.

If I see a W208 I will let you know.

Have any pictures of the E30?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't think the W208 Cab was offered in the AMG 55 option?

I thought so aswell, but further investgation shows that they where available in the last model year for the facelift version (208.474). Left hand drive only by the looks of it. EPC shows part number A2087700201 (folding top fabric) as applicable for this model, but not any other version of the 55 amg.

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
In the past year I had changed 2 w208s: 200k , 230k and a 320. The 1st two were Ok-ish but not great. I had the 200k for 3 months then swapped it for a 230k.
Engine mounts on my 320 were changed at 82k at MB Waltham Cross and now I have to change them again at 114k. Drivers seat frame and motors is playing up and I will have to change it. Although mine is a limited edition I do not have heated seats or electronic AC. The Bose sound system is fine. If you do not have Bose you can esily upgrade.
Luckily no rust yet.
I will keep it as daily driver. Not a flashy car but a strong engine, good suspension, decent level of comfort.

You'd be lucky to find a w208 with less than 70k with no rust. Good luck !

SteveX

Reaction score
I thought so aswell, but further investgation shows that they where available in the last model year for the facelift version (208.474). Left hand drive only by the looks of it. EPC shows part number A2087700201 (folding top fabric) as applicable for this model, but not any other version of the 55 amg.

There was a silver RHD one for sale around last August on autotrader.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There was a silver RHD one for sale around last August on autotrader.

Was it real, or did someone badge it? Lots of 430's with AMG kits about

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Although according to the AMG private lounge, 1280 or so were imported into the US in 2002.

SteveX

Reaction score
Was it real, or did someone badge it? Lots of 430's with AMG kits about

Who knows, didn't show a picture of the engine but was advertised at £7995, at a dealer, was a silver W208 '55 AMG'. I remember seeing it thinking it was a smart looking car, had AMG clocks as I specifically remember the speedo only going to 160 and thinking it was odd :)

Maybe he was trying to pull a fast one, but I doubt it?

Wish I could find it now, been searching the net to see if I can find an old advert elsewhere but no joy.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Who knows, didn't show a picture of the engine but was advertised at £7995, at a dealer, was a silver W208 '55 AMG'. I remember seeing it thinking it was a smart looking car, had AMG clocks as I specifically remember the speedo only going to 160 and thinking it was odd :)

Maybe he was trying to pull a fast one, but I doubt it?

Wish I could find it now, been searching the net to see if I can find an old advert elsewhere but no joy.

If it had AMG clocks then its likely it was a genuine one! I have heard something like 30 where imported in the UK as RHD drive cars on a special order basis but I cant back it up, so maybe its true?

SteveX

Reaction score
If it had AMG clocks then its likely it was a genuine one! I have heard something like 30 where imported in the UK as RHD drive cars on a special order basis but I cant back it up, so maybe its true?

It was a while ago like I said, but just black clocks with one white AMG on the 160mph speedo, that stuck in my mind as I thought it should do 170 or so derestricted! :)

I didn't realize it was quite so rare.

OP
M

Merc125

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks
Willing to upload E30 cabbie pics, but bit of an IT dud so how can i do this pls?:confused:

Re W208 CLK AMG, the one I located has been clocked owner has dropped price to between £4k - £5k it has 12 months MOT all MOTs going back to 2006 indicate has covered 15500 miles since 2006 have seen VOSA DVLA info.
MB records are that in 2004 it had 70K on odometer, yet currently odometer shows 59k:confused:

MB records show car covered average of 23500 pa in first four years so based on that and added to current mileage increase post 2006 I estimate actual mileage at 138k + (that's if it has not been further clocked)

Welcome your thoughts on sellers pricing given car is clocked and has NO history at all (yes no handbook, receipts, old MOT's nothing).

Condition of car inside and out is A1.
I am considering an RAC or AA full vehicle report (which do you think best) prior to anything else as that would give me an independent assessment of the vehicle.
A vehicle report can be used as a bartering tool or give me enough of a scare to walk away.
Or would you use someone else to vet the car?

Welcome your thoughts regarding a potential purchase or would you walk away.

Re Mother in laws W208 CLK AMG, car is badged AMG (they can be added I know) and has AMG body kit. Inside is two tone silver and blue. Cabbie roof is black. Engine is a 4.3V8 so i guess from the comments on here that it may have been specced to AMG standard as it is a right hand drive car. Shame really as she has owned it for 9+ years I know of and she is not looking after it as I look after my V8.

Welcome all your help and advice please :D

SteveX

Reaction score
Thanks
Willing to upload E30 cabbie pics, but bit of an IT dud so how can i do this pls?:confused:

Re W208 CLK AMG, the one I located has been clocked owner has dropped price to between £4k - £5k it has 12 months MOT all MOTs going back to 2006 indicate has covered 15500 miles since 2006 have seen VOSA DVLA info.
MB records are that in 2004 it had 70K on odometer, yet currently odometer shows 59k:confused:

MB records show car covered average of 23500 pa in first four years so based on that and added to current mileage increase post 2006 I estimate actual mileage at 138k + (that's if it has not been further clocked)

Welcome your thoughts on sellers pricing given car is clocked and has NO history at all (yes no handbook, receipts, old MOT's nothing).

Condition of car inside and out is A1.
I am considering an RAC or AA full vehicle report (which do you think best) prior to anything else as that would give me an independent assessment of the vehicle.
A vehicle report can be used as a bartering tool or give me enough of a scare to walk away.
Or would you use someone else to vet the car?

Welcome your thoughts regarding a potential purchase or would you walk away.

Re Mother in laws W208 CLK AMG, car is badged AMG (they can be added I know) and has AMG body kit. Inside is two tone silver and blue. Cabbie roof is black. Engine is a 4.3V8 so i guess from the comments on here that it may have been specced to AMG standard as it is a right hand drive car. Shame really as she has owned it for 9+ years I know of and she is not looking after it as I look after my V8.

Welcome all your help and advice please :D

It's probably had a dash or clock change, I doubt anyone would be interested enough in buying some kit from china to try and clock the mileage, especially if the DVLA records and history state otherwise. It wouldn't increase the value of a W208 hardly at all anyway.

4K irrespective of mileage sounds reasonable to me if it's in good nick and runs well.

Don't suppose it's the silver one I saw listed on ebay is it?

Do you have a link?

430 is still a nice car, I would hope the one I saw last year for £7995 was an AMG or someone got ripped off :)

SteveX

Reaction score
Sorry, I just saw that the car has no history, that being the case it makes it more difficult to resell, probably worth knocking a few hundred more off for that at least.

I like a car with as much history as possible, but if the car was in short supply and I believe I found the right one I would still buy it.

My car had the service book when I bought it with the service history but NO receipts. The dealer lost the separate folder. I was happy I had the MB service book which tallied with the chassis no and MB records (I called them to check). So was happy to buy it. It's got a ton of receipts and paperwork folder by me now in the past few years but I have always thought it was a shame that I do not have the previous receipts just to understand what additional work was carried out before I owned it.

SteveX

Reaction score
Sorry one more thought, these older V8's I can't imagine have a huge market, so there is always room to barter :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom