W211 E320 Which one to buy?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hello! I’ve been looking for a W211 for a few months and found one that I like. I want one with inline engine and as many trim options as possible. The one I found has parking sensors, sunroof, electric seats with memory, heated and ventilated seats etc. I have seen it only on pictures and so far body looked good, didn’t spot any rust. Now I’m planning to go see it and I’m wondering what should I look out for before buying it? Any suspension or engine issues? Where does it rust most often? Thank you!
Put a link onto the forum and you will get more feedback

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Hello! I’ve been looking for a W211 for a few months and found one that I like. I want one with inline engine and as many trim options as possible. The one I found has parking sensors, sunroof, electric seats with memory, heated and ventilated seats etc. I have seen it only on pictures and so far body looked good, didn’t spot any rust. Now I’m planning to go see it and I’m wondering what should I look out for before buying it? Any suspension or engine issues? Where does it rust most often? Thank you!
Rear arches and front upper spring cups .

Solarwinds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350CDI
Another vote for Avantgarde 320cdi ..mine was 03 plate....sold at 175K still going strong, so comfortable, not sure if you can see my avatar as its a bit small but good economy.

Solarwinds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350CDI
I guess it must have been over 180K by the time I sold it!...looked after by MBS back in the large cold shed days.

SA1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI/2006/3L
I have a w211 e320 2006 sedan which has done 223k miles and still drives great (especially since I recently changed the engine mounts). The car is comfortable to drive and quiet. I have had to do quite a bit of work on it over the years, but as I like the car I have been committed about keeping it. It has been no more expensive to repair than any other car. I have not replaced coil springs myself as I regarded it a potentially dangerous job but I have done pretty much everything else on it.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
funny brakes, funny steering feel stuck in lard/ syrup, self dimming interior mirror hardly bothers... feels dangerous and wanders (like there's a mega cross wind) if you put 120kg in the back of the car, brake lines all rot out beneath the covers, condensor rots out

other than that seems to drive better than my S500 in most ways - aside from the v6 tractor engine refinement which is truly horrific - think of it being close to fifteen 40 year old abused cement mixers running a mix of cast pig iron, nails, engineering bricks, broken up concrete driveway (with the cememt mixers on their last legs with no oil pressure and the main bearings having gone some 6 years ago.... )

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The straight 6 by a country mile.
My OM648 has needed nothing beyond service. Smooth as butter, absolute effortless on the motorway.

OM642 has its fables (oil cooler seals, stupid plastic manifold, air mani inlet seals, PCV seal, Maf integral to manifold). Not cleverly put together. Not a patch on the 648 for refinement. Its a good engine but not a clever setup.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
think i'd look for a nice condition 08 / 09 plate sport , they just look right , everytime i see one i think the same
I test drove a sport before my Avantgarde, I really didn’t like the drive on 18’s (not sure if the suspension is also harder on the sport ?) . I would drive both , there’s a big difference in comfort .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The straight 6 by a country mile.
My OM648 has needed nothing beyond service. Smooth as butter, absolute effortless on the motorway.

OM642 has its fables (oil cooler seals, stupid plastic manifold, air mani inlet seals, PCV seal, Maf integral to manifold). Not cleverly put together. Not a patch on the 648 for refinement. Its a good engine but not a clever setup.
The om648 is getting old now though , may get some parts availability issues coming through ?
Also there were 2000+ changes to the facelift post 2006 , so there must have been some issues that needed resolving .

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
I test drove a sport before my Avantgarde, I really didn’t like the drive on 18’s (not sure if the suspension is also harder on the sport ?) . I would drive both , there’s a big difference in comfort .
The addition of 245/40 18's all round on my car ruined the ride, Bilstein B6 and B8 dampers didn't help much either.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
The om648 is getting old now though , may get some parts availability issues coming through ?
Also there were 2000+ changes to the facelift post 2006 , so there must have been some issues that needed resolving .
A lot of parts are shared with 4 & 5 pot diesels which are used in sprinters the world over. I think I read the old model Sprinter with 646 is still made for Russia too? I expect the cars to be banned before parts become an issue!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom