w212 e350 cdi 265 remap

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Celtic tuning does at half the cost and they travel to your home or place of work.

I investigated them but their figures are all over the place and it is a generic map

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
as said, Celtic are generic maps and they also have no experience if they brick your ECU. One of the members here had one of their maps and they took 6 attempts and over 2 weeks to get the car working again and even then it was worse than before the map. In the end he went to GAD who removed the bodged map rebuilt his ECU and then applied one of their maps, by all accounts his car never ran better and IIRC sued Celtic over the whole mess.

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Hey guys just a quick one anyone who thinks they can communicate to the 350 CDI engine management at someones "house" shouldn't be trusted!!!

The variations of management depending on year and engine variation are Bosch EDC17 CP01, EDC17 CP10, EDC17 CP46 and the newer variations of engine with the add blue tank EDC17 CP57 ALL have anti tuning protection and require ECU to be removed and tuned on the bench.

This means the ECU needs to be handled in a controlled environment.

Any questions guys please feel free to pop a message up I will try and get back to you ASAP.

Currently just finished a Supercharged C63, Decatted Aventador, Decat Stage 2 on a brand new M4 and McLaren Staged development with Quicksilver the exhaust manufacturer so im sure you can imagine we are pretty stretched lol

Many thanks again guys

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Hey guys just a quick one anyone who thinks they can communicate to the 350 CDI engine management at someones "house" shouldn't be trusted!!!

The variations of management depending on year and engine variation are Bosch EDC17 CP01, EDC17 CP10, EDC17 CP46 and the newer variations of engine with the add blue tank EDC17 CP57 ALL have anti tuning protection and require ECU to be removed and tuned on the bench.

Any questions guys please feel free to pop a message up I will try and get back to you ASAP.

Currently just finished a Supercharged C63, Decatted Aventador, Decat Stage 2 on a brand new M4 and McLaren Staged development with Quicksilver the exhaust manufacturer so im sure you can imagine we are pretty stretched lol

Many thanks again guys

Thanks Guys,

on a side note, I'll hopefully be in touch soon regarding a power map for either a pre facelift CLS250 or post facelift CLS350 :)

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Of course my friend just give me a nudge and we can sort you out!!!

Many thanks

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
as said, Celtic are generic maps and they also have no experience if they brick your ECU. One of the members here had one of their maps and they took 6 attempts and over 2 weeks to get the car working again and even then it was worse than before the map. In the end he went to GAD who removed the bodged map rebuilt his ECU and then applied one of their maps, by all accounts his car never ran better and IIRC sued Celtic over the whole mess.

That's very worrying, I used them for my C200 and was very pleased with the result.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT

Many thanks again guys

When Celtic came to do my Re-map they came in a new van totally kitted out with an ESD safe bench and full soldering equipment that was suitable to remove SMD ICs, the guy "Kevin" ( an ex Sony Engineer) used our workshops to do the work on my EDC17 ECU mainly because I asked him to, so I and 2 of my Engineers could see what is done to the ECU.
His soldering was to a good standard and he re-sealed the ECU with the correct PU sealant at the end of the job.

I wont get into a bun fight with regards to who are the best and worst companies to entrust you're pride and joy to, but what I will say is that I have been an Electronics Engineer for over 40yrs and have ran an Electronic Servicing Company for over 30yrs, so I feel that I am qualified to judge whether a job is done to a reasonable standard or as others have said "Botched".
I can confirm the 4 Re-maps that Celtic Tuning have done for me over the years have been faultless and I cover around 35k per year.:cool:

Alfie

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
When Celtic came to do my Re-map they came in a new van totally kitted out with an ESD safe bench and full soldering equipment that was suitable to remove SMD ICs, the guy "Kevin" ( an ex Sony Engineer) used our workshops to do the work on my EDC17 ECU mainly because I asked him to, so I and 2 of my Engineers could see what is done to the ECU.
His soldering was to a good standard and he re-sealed the ECU with the correct PU sealant at the end of the job.

I wont get into a bun fight with regards to who are the best and worst companies to entrust you're pride and joy to, but what I will say is that I have been an Electronics Engineer for over 40yrs and have ran an Electronic Servicing Company for over 30yrs, so I feel that I am qualified to judge whether a job is done to a reasonable standard or as others have said "Botched".
I can confirm the 4 Re-maps that Celtic Tuning have done for me over the years have been faultless and I cover around 35k per year.:cool:

Alfie

i think the 'botched' comments refer to the ones who will download a generic uprated file from somewhere on the internet, come round to your house, plug the laptop into the OBD socket and hope.
these firms usually have neither the knowledge nor expertise to remove the ECU never mind open it up, remove/resolder chips on circuit boards etc.
remapping is something i always wanted to get into but never had the funds to take up any opportunities to learn to do it properly and well. if i did, id never have a 'standard' car ever again.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g

Alfie

I agree totally what you say Alfie and i have had the Celtic stage 1 on my C320CDI for over a year and very pleased i am with it, i could never go back to Std. map.

All the advertising hype on here and sickly posts really do put me off others who do remaps and i would never entertain them even at there "twice the price".

You can see with the words the forced hard selling on here!

Some just don`t like others success.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All the advertising hype on here and sickly posts really do put me off others who do remaps and i would never entertain them even at there "twice the price".

Not entirely sure where this is going, I have never seen the "Hard Sell" on here, there are several forum sponsors who offer re-maps.

There have been examples of them having to fix botched maps put on by other companies, this is a warning to people, FYI the threads were put up by the car owners seeking help NOT the tuners!

I used GAD for their Reputation and service, I can't fault them, Anthony was incredibly professional and took me through it all, explaining every step, he is also a very personable guy.

I have a friend who has a Celtic tune on his A5 and is happy with it, horses for courses BUT their figures were no where near the GAD ones and after a conversation with their local agent I was not convinced at all they were quoting more BHP than I originally had but less Torque than standard, this does not in any way inspire me to use them.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Hi J,Bell,

I agree its horses for courses and a lot of what you say, But it was this sentence in GAD's post that prompted me to write my thoughts on Celtic Tuning.

Quote by GAD:
"Hey guys just a quick one anyone who thinks they can communicate to the 350 CDI engine management at someone's "house" shouldn't be trusted!!!

In my opinion this was a Jibe at Celtic Tunings credibility and ability to carry out a Remap.

Alfie.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Hi J,Bell,

I agree its horses for courses and a lot of what you say, But it was this sentence in GAD's post that prompted me to write my thoughts on Celtic Tuning.

Quote by GAD:
"Hey guys just a quick one anyone who thinks they can communicate to the 350 CDI engine management at someone's "house" shouldn't be trusted!!!

In my opinion this was a Jibe at Celtic Tunings credibility and ability to carry out a Remap.

Alfie.

im not quite so sure Alfie. ive never had dealings with ANY of the remappers but there does seem to be a lot out there that claim to be able to remap ANY car at your place of work, at your home etc which, as we know (and your experience shows) is NOT going to be the case, especially in an increasing number of cases. you only need look at most of them, advertising their business in a little fiesta/combo/kangoo sized van, no way you could have done your remap with those firms as the vans arent big enough for the necessary kit.

we only need look at forum members in the past, many claiming to be able to do all kinds of stuff in the remapping line, yet oddly, once the system could only be reflashed by removal of the ECU and 'tweaking' it internally, they suddenly seemed to disappear, despite their claims that they could do ANY car at ANY place.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I agree totally what you say Alfie and i have had the Celtic stage 1 on my C320CDI for over a year and very pleased i am with it, i could never go back to Std. map.

Some just don`t like others success.

Thanks Keith,
As an owner of a small business I hate seeing other companies who carry out similar work expressing their views to generate more business, it just isn't fair especially when the other company is not in a position to defend itself.

Luckily there are very few companies within our postcode coverage area and the ones that are there have respect for each other. we would never publicly comment on their ability to carry out work in the hope of generating more customers.:-(

I noticed that GAD had been mentioned in a thread back in 2013 where a member posted up they didn't know what engine was fitted to his Merc and he slated them, I didn't agree with that thread either as at that time GAD was a relatively new company, here:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/159818-gad-tuning.html

Just shows non of us is perfect.

Alfie

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.

Many thanks again guys

I think this quote "shouldn't be trusted !!!" should be removed from what has been a very interesting thread.
It's trying to scare people away from using other Reputable company's that are out there and not able to defend themselves on this forum.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi J,Bell,

Quote by GAD:

Alfie.

I don't believe it to be "personal" at all and not directed at anyone in particular, just a general statement to warn against well documented problems that have occurred when people have had "door step" maps put on their cars. These ECU's are incredibly complicated (and expensive), I watched Anthony open my ECU up, painstakingly and after the map re-seal everything to make sure, the ATD was excellent. GAD regularly map £250k Lambo's and work extensively with Bentley dealers so can't be all bad.

There were several comments regarding price, ironically saying "they cost twice the price" coming from MB owners staggered me, so many threads pertain to "I only go OEM" and "you get what you pay for" people start talking about cost, try saying that when you want to change wheels!!!!

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Morning guys,

I am very sorry indeed if our comments have caused offence please accept our sincerest apologies and was not aimed at any one in personally!!! But still it scares us how this industry is changing for companies to poorly tune or carry out dangerous procedures at peoples homes as there really are times that ECU's have to looked after in such a way in controlled environments!

If the mods would like to full our comment we fully understand.

Many thanks guys and sorry again

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Morning guys,

I am very sorry indeed if our comments have caused offence please accept our sincerest apologies and was not aimed at any one in personally!!! But still it scares us how this industry is changing for companies to poorly tune or carry out dangerous procedures at peoples homes as there really are times that ECU's have to looked after in such a way in controlled environments!

If the mods would like to full our comment we fully understand.

Many thanks guys and sorry again

I suppose it is all ok now...after the horse has bolted!....damage done to others...

I have soldering skills similar to Alfie but not my own business as he has but i repair Reel to Reel tape recorders which have complicated PCB`s and so i understand what does have to be done.

My Volvo had a remap with the eprom chip replaced but you talk randomly and emphasize that care should be taken for the ECU in controlled environments but you should know that not all ECU`s have to be removed on various models to be updated /remapped, but no mention of that.... Just your own hierarchy type answer.

My old 2006 mint condition C320CDI V6 was cheaper to have the work done as the ECU was not removed it was just connected via the OBDII socket.

Celtic checked all this before the remap was looked into before any dismantling needed to be done and so therefore gave me a price. Which was a fair one and not a rip off one!....and the motor gives the performance of a well executed tried and tested job and not just because it was cheaper.

So in my case "you don`t only get what you pay for"

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
which, as V6Matty has said, are generic maps. each car is different so needs to be set up slightly different. some cars can be standard but go much better than another 'standard' car, hence a generic remap isnt necessarily the best way to go. yes it will work, but not as well on some cars than others. like the standard 'generic' map

I only agree to a certain point with customs maps as this is what`s needed for track motors with different hard wear etc. down pipes/injectors etc.

Production methods have progressed these days and each engine from the factory is more or less the same because of the grading of the parts when assembled.

Years back one engine could be assembled with all negative or minus grade parts and another with all the plus grades and of course giving different power outputs, but today things are more exact CNC and all that!

The same goes for the map so the factory map will all be the same for that particular model whether in this country or exported which is where the remap comes in so that in this country with it`s type of fuel we have the motor will run it`s best.

As said the Custom Map is for track motors where the enthusiast will get the most from his tuned Merc. as he has paid more for the privelege but the Standard owner with 2.4 kids doing 50mph down the Mway the Custom Map is of no consequence at all and will notice no difference to the Generic remapped ECU......your wallet will just be lighter!

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Once again we are very sorry indeed for any offence caused this wasn't our aim at all.

Many thanks

Team GAD

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom