What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I thought these were the official AMG design aluminium with full sleeves to prevent corrosion and leakage?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Not seen those - very nice!

My comment about being right was more related to the cap having an airtight seal

If the car did come with those on no wonder they disappeared lol

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Not seen those - very nice!

My comment about being right was more related to the cap having an airtight seal

If the car did come with those on no wonder they disappeared lol
The problem with metal caps as you advise without grease they seize on the threads which can break the TPS valves. If you simply want to top your air up at, say, a garage during a journey you have to carry a grease gun with you or re-grease soon after the journey.

I think this is why the genuine metal ones have a sleeve, but as you say makes them vulnerable to theft!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Up at 5:30 to drive down to Wiltshire and back to pick my mother-in-law for the weekend. Left just after 6am.
230 mile round trip, mostly motorway or dual carriageway A roads, but early rush hour traffic through M6/M5 junction. Didn't drive like a maniac, nor a geriatric, car averaged 27.4mpg which I think is quite respectable.
Back now and feel fresh enough to start work for the day.
Got to love these big, fast, cruisers.

Last edited:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Up at 5:30 to drove down to Wiltshire and back to pick my mother-in-law for the weekend. Left just after 6am.
230 mile round trip, mostly motorway or dual carriageway A roads, but early rush hour traffic through M6/M5 junction. Didn't drive like a maniac, nor a geriatric, car averaged 27.4mpg which I think is quite respectable.
Back now and feel fresh enough to start work for the day.
Got to love these big, fast, cruisers.
Pretty good for a heavy V8, best I ever achieved in my SL500 (2 seats so lighter) was 35mpg and that was on a journey to Scotland with pretty much zero traffic.

The E53 is currently averaging 30mpg with 1/3 less engine and the roof missing

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg
300k wow. What's that about 180k miles or thereabouts? Good going.

186400 ish gives 300k km. im hoping to see 200k before Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg
Lovely stuff, what's your service intervals like? I've recently taken ownership of a W204 C350 CDI too, so I'm looking for some pointers :)

Originally i did the yearly service roughly 12-14k now it gets oil and filter every 7500miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
The two post lift at work was free on Friday night so I decided to take a look at my S211 drive train and see if I could find the cause of this latest rear end noise to see how terminal it might be and decide if I need to press on and make the other car roadworthy. :eek:
What a result, one propshaft bolt was loose on the rear flex joint, of course it had to be the one size Torx I do not have at work! A suitable size Imperial hex key and a spanner saved the day until I can get under there with the correct tools.
Whilst airborne I adjusted the front wheel bearings and tried moving all the suspension arm bushes front and rear as when cold the drive train seems to groan a bit, particularly on the overrun at slow speeds until warmed up. One rear lower arm bush has a small amount of play but nothing else seems obvious. :cool:
On a roll and feeling lucky but fearing the worst, l took the engine covers off as the sickly smell of black death is creeping into the car but not greatly evident outside. (Easily remedied with the carbon filter button!) The Grim Reaper has spared me, just a little showing on old No6 closest to the pollen filter so that needs doing to save the cylinder head. :confused:
Then I remembered the big red dash warning about oil level on the motorway recently, l can hear the mighty @Wighty ears perking up at the mention of oil and level! Only Mercedes can frighten the life out of you at motorway speeds with a stall/terrain warning grade audiovisual alarm for OIL LEVEL and in the tiny smallprint "level high" so I syphoned a small amount off cursing the lack of dipstick and being a dipstick for trusting the dash quantity indicator. :rolleyes:
Last repair was to be an M6 thread partially stripped on the inlet plasic cover, a slighly longer bolt would work for now. l dropped two bolts and a Torx bit during my time under the bonnet, always a worry with the undertray as things dropped seldom hit the floor. The Torx bit was in plain sight and easily retrieved with a magnet on a stick and one bolt amazingly bounced to the floor. 25 minutes later I managed to retrieve bolt number 2 wedged in the cooling fan. I had the snake camera and most of my long gynaecology tools out for that one. :oops:
The road test home was much quieter, steering and brakes improved. :D I'm not looking forward to taking this car off the road, it will be a sad day. :(

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The two post lift at work was free on Friday night so I decided to take a look at my S211 drive train and see if I could find the cause of this latest rear end noise to see how terminal it might be and decide if I need to press on and make the other car roadworthy. :eek:
What a result, one propshaft bolt was loose on the rear flex joint, of course it had to be the one size Torx I do not have at work! A suitable size Imperial hex key and a spanner saved the day until I can get under there with the correct tools.
Whilst airborne I adjusted the front wheel bearings and tried moving all the suspension arm bushes front and rear as when cold the drive train seems to groan a bit, particularly on the overrun at slow speeds until warmed up. One rear lower arm bush has a small amount of play but nothing else seems obvious. :cool:
On a roll and feeling lucky but fearing the worst, l took the engine covers off as the sickly smell of black death is creeping into the car but not greatly evident outside. (Easily remedied with the carbon filter button!) The Grim Reaper has spared me, just a little showing on old No6 closest to the pollen filter so that needs doing to save the cylinder head. :confused:
Then I remembered the big red dash warning about oil evel on the motorway recently, l can hear the mighty @Wighty ears perking up at the mention of oil and level! Only Mercedes can frighten the life out of you at motorway speeds with a stall/terrain warning grade audiovisual alarm for OIL LEVEL and in the tiny smallprint "level high" so I syphoned a small amount off cursing the lack of dipstick and being a dipstick for trusting the dash quantity indicator. :rolleyes:
Last repair was to be an M6 thread partially stripped on the inlet plasic cover, a slighly longer bolt would work for now. l dropped two bolts and a Torx bit during my time under the bonnet, always a worry with the undertray as things dropped seldom hit the floor. The Torx bit was in plain sight and easily retrieved with a magnet on a stick and one bolt amazingly bounced to the floor. 25 minutes later I managed to retrieve bolt number 2 wedged in the cooling fan. I had the snake camera and most of my long gynaecology tools out for that one. :oops:
The road test home was much quieter, steering and brakes improved. :D I'm not looking forward to taking this car off the road, it will be a sad day. :(
Very funny buddy ! You should write children’s horror stories if your car skills deteriorate :cool:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Been driving Money Pit about so much, that my dash message (295 mls to service C) is now saying (277 mls overdue) :shock:
Nothing has gone wrong :eek: I think Money Pit must be ill :( What medicines will Money Pit need Chaps :)

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Been driving Money Pit about so much, that my dash message (295 mls to service C) is now saying (277 mls overdue) :shock:
Nothing has gone wrong :eek: I think Money Pit must be I'll :( What medicines will Money Pit need Chaps :)
It’s not an SL so you shouldn’t need a new drain plug… ;):p

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
It’s not an SL so you shouldn’t need a new drain plug… ;):p

Oi Blobcat. I'll have you know 55 did a we wee when it was out in the rain through its drain hole, I think it is an age related issue.....;) I cleaned all the silicone out of the C pillars and that was a mistake, so it's in the garage now :rolleyes:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Got it back on it's wheels again. :)

It's done more miles vertically than linear in the last few months, just up and down on the lift to move it out of the way. Connected the charger again yesterday, just to check the battery is still OK and it's showing full this morning so all good there.

Also gave it a good clean yesterday, mainly getting the dust off it from a few months of storage so it now looks reasonable.

All I now have to do is actually start it which will get done today hopefully, mainly just to get the engine up to temp and blow some warm air around the interior. It's still on SORN till the end of this month so it can't go on the road for another week or two. As soon as it's legally able, I'll give it a couple of shakedown runs before heading down to Clevedon for the meet at Avantgarde on Saturday April 6th. :)

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Jobs I've been putting off that may get started this weekend:

Replace a foglight so front bumper off
Remove front wipers and clean out scuttle panel as it is lifting probably from leaves. Replace wipers for MoT
Replace inner steering joints as it was mentioned 4 MoTs ago. Not got any worse but I have has the parts for at least a couple of years. May as well do the outers for an easier swap as alignment is spot on currently.
Replace cam covers breather gaskets as there is a slight leak
Replace rear springs again :rolleyes: ****** potholes. I use Sachs which are meant to be OK but still only last around 2-3 years.
Remove rears discs and check calipers as last MoT handbrake balance was on the limit.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Yesterday gave the old bus a wash, hasn’t been done since Scotland a few weeks ago so was in need.
Tried using some new Megs spray on ceramic wax, interesting experience as you’re meant to put it on the bodywork wet, gave it a wipe down to dry the water and the wax off and although it took a bit more work than just drying I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t leave any marks.
Needs another layer next time I think but in reality I really need to clay the car as I’ve not done it for a couple of years now.
Beading well this morning though

Attachments

• IMG_6385.jpeg
    IMG_6385.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 19

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Yesterday gave the old bus a wash, hasn’t been done since Scotland a few weeks ago so was in need.
Tried using some new Megs spray on ceramic wax, interesting experience as you’re meant to put it on the bodywork wet, gave it a wipe down to dry the water and the wax off and although it took a bit more work than just drying I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t leave any marks.
Needs another layer next time I think but in reality I really need to clay the car as I’ve not done it for a couple of years now.
Beading well this morning though

Depending on which Meg's juice you've got, putting a first layer on a clean, dry car works well.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Depending on which Meg's juice you've got, putting a first layer on a clean, dry car works well.
Some of this, different and will certainly try drying first and then treating this more like a detailer spray and then rinse one more time before a final dry

Attachments

• IMG_6386.png
    IMG_6386.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom