What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Dropped 4 wheels with tyres off at Lepsons branch in Wolverhampton for refurbishment. 20" AMG IV 5 twin-spoke rims. Having them two colour powder coat (dark metallic grey with silver highlights where the diamond cut would normally be).
Pics when done please :)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Dropped 4 wheels with tyres off at Lepsons branch in Wolverhampton for refurbishment. 20" AMG IV 5 twin-spoke rims. Having them two colour powder coat (dark metallic grey with silver highlights where the diamond cut would normally be).
Sounds interesting, if you don't mind my asking how much as I may consider similar rather than diamond cut refurb mine...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag F-Pace, BMW Z4
Fitted the second hand all singing and dancing Android 11 radio unit last night which involved dismantling the in dash CD changer for the lower switch panel. That will be a joy to reassemble if I decide to swap back! :eek: The supplied fascia does not clamp tight as per the Mercedes radio but does fit well in the dash so that will need looking at. Still waiting on a cheap reversing camera to arrive that I want to try connecting via a wireless kit. Selecting reverse immediately brings up the blank camera screen so that will be interesting to see how well it works.

Of course the Nokia car kit no longer works properly, the plan was to remove that anyway if this unit works well with my phone as the main reason for fitting this unit is to get better phone connectivity and to use Waze. Hopefully I can fit a holder for my phone in place of the Nokia in the armrest and increase the centre console storage space.

View attachment 84560

That looks good, have often thought of treating the SL to one, then something expense happens to put me off.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Sounds interesting, if you don't mind my asking how much as I may consider similar rather than diamond cut refurb mine...

Even if I wanted it, I suspect that my wheels are on the limit for a diamond cut refurb. It may look nice, but only if you don't drive your car.

I've gone with Himalayan Grey metallic (an MB colour) with shiny silver surface finish for diamond cut area.
It works out more expensive as it adds an extra two stages after the first colour bake - masking areas of the wheel then application of second colour - prior to addition of laquear.
Total for four (including removal and refit of tyres) £540 inc. VAT.

Here's an image of one of them prior to work.

9odkza1b.png

Martyn Cannon

Reaction score
Website
www.tithefarmclub.com
Your Mercedes
S500 2001 , CLK 320 Sport Auto 1998, Porsche Boxster 2.5 Manual 2000
First decent drive in the W220 s500 in a year 60 miles to Dorset East Knighton near durdle door from east devon sidmouth and back again gave her a few blasts and new abc tanderm pump is doing its job what a beautiful ride parked up now was 30mpg not so bad when my range rover only does 19.5 on the same run

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Even if I wanted it, I suspect that my wheels are on the limit for a diamond cut refurb. It may look nice, but only if you don't drive your car.

I've gone with Himalayan Grey metallic (an MB colour) with shiny silver surface finish for diamond cut area.
It works out more expensive as it adds an extra two stages after the first colour bake - masking areas of the wheel then application of second colour - prior to addition of laquear.
Total for four (including removal and refit of tyres) £540 inc. VAT.

Here's an image of one of them prior to work.

View attachment 84619
Would be interested to see the end result, sounds great..

I know what you mean about diamond cut being no good if you drive, acid car washes destroyed mine, here is pic as they should be!
f889aaef74755c92a340c2a46ff57eaa.jpg

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Would be interested to see the end result, sounds great..

I know what you mean about diamond cut being no good if you drive, acid car washes destroyed mine, here is pic as they should be!
f889aaef74755c92a340c2a46ff57eaa.jpg

I’ve never likesd the diamond cut look.

Getting the wheels on my SL fully coated was one of the best tings is did to it. Wish I’d done it sooner. IMG_1754 5.JPG

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Mot number18 passed this evening.
I was thinking about this on the way to work, should be 17 as the car will be 20 nexr April. Upon checking, in 2008 the car had two Mot's a month and 600 miles apart. :oops:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
My current model is an old B-Class ;).....the SL is now sold. They were the standard SL 400 diamond cut which I had powder coated. IMO the PC wheels look way better. View attachment 84635
I didn't think the standard wheels were diamond cut, just the optional AMG night edition versions?
6a307033173b1fc44ca9f601b97bebfc.jpg

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I didn't think the standard wheels were diamond cut, just the optional AMG night edition versions?
6a307033173b1fc44ca9f601b97bebfc.jpg

Mine was the “AMG LIne” - (no AMG badge for me) with some cosmetic differences and some functional (better front end ;);), bigger brakes more powerful motor, different exhaust, nicer instrument cluster and other bits & bobs compared to the pre-facelift). Had AMG alloys as standard with all non skimmed surfaces painted in a light gunmetal colour.

3EFC12FA-A2FB-4DE9-B31E-07A7B61B3456_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Interesting as mine was AMG sport, only extras/badging was on the wheels and mats, came with spoiler though which differentiated it from the SL400 and SLK along with, of course, a 4.7l V8 engine so brakes were upgraded to cope over the V6. No artificial sound in the boot as added to the 3.0l face-lift as, I suspect, it was deemed unnecessary ;-).

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
I have had 3 sets done through work and their service is excellent.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
We use them for the refurb services we offer to our customers. Sometimes you have to be careful and I have had to send things back and have stern words, but most of the time it's good work.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Interesting as mine was AMG sport, only extras/badging was on the wheels and mats, came with spoiler though which differentiated it from the SL400 and SLK along with, of course, a 4.7l V8 engine so brakes were upgraded to cope over the V6. No artificial sound in the boot as added to the 3.0l face-lift as, I suspect, it was deemed unnecessary ;-).

Yep much to be said about both.

Before ordering my car, I did a lot of research (over many months - I was working single status in the middle east and didn’t have much to do in the evenings). Every review I read (German, American , Canada, UK etc) where the reviewer had driven both, they preferred the driveability of the V6 and only recommended the V8 if that was an itch that needed scratching.

I arranged a test drive of both and opted for the V6 because it felt light and nimble and was nicer to drive. I’ve owned V8’s including a 5.7L V8 Hemi engine Dodge & V8 Toyota Landcruiser so scratching a V8 or needing that “sound” was not a checkbox for me.

Several guys on the American forum have owned both and, without exception, prefer their V6.

Other than engine teh cars are effectively identical & all the added weight of the V8 sits on the front wheels and compromises handling. The torque ( 500Nm vs V8 700Nm - but still massive) curve on the new V6 peaks at under 2000rpm and sits there until just short of peak revs which makes it very responsive across almost the full rev range.

I owned a R172 SLK 350 for 4 years with the 7 speed gearbox in yours - it (7spd) was absolutely awful. The 9 speed is lightyears better.

We all have our reasons for what we buy. Happy motoring.

;):)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Yes it was research rather than the extra £30k cost that made my decision, I was swayed by Evo who accurately summed it up below, guess devil is in the cylinders and torque, maybe that is why I still enjoy mine ;-).

I guess the answer is not to think of the SL400 AMG Sport as, um, sporty. Dial back your commitment at the Mercedes is an easy car to enjoy and appreciate. The strange wandery steering at a cruise is a deadly flaw in a serene GT, though. Perhaps more of a problem is that the SL500, all 4.7-litres and 516lb ft of it, isn’t greatly more expensive and yet it feels exactly that every time you tickle, prod or stamp on the throttle. At £80,610 it’s probably the SL400’s deadliest foe. So the SL isn’t quite as focussed as we’d like, but if you want a beautifully built, searingly fast, admirably rigid convertible with that superb roof and the innate glamour that SL’s have possessed for six generations… Well, stick to the V8 if at all possible. If you want an out and out sportscar experience, it’s best to look elsewhere altogether.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom