Whats the risk ref Buying non genuine Wheel Speed Sensors?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Got then ABS ESP Non operative and the Run Flat indicator message, checked on MBII and it says its the back left WSS.

I always buy genuine MB parts, but having replaced all 4 sensors @ 9 years old at 44,000 miles and now 5 years later and only 9,000 miles more, I have lost a front and now a rear sensor … I think these parts are rubbish.

But whats the risk?
1. Could they damage the controller? I assume not?
2. Could they send a crazy result to the CPU and say cause a wheel lock up? Or do they just fail with no drama.?
3. As ai would just change one could there be a difference in signals they send i.e. not match the other side of the axle, which is genuine MB?

Genuine MB £138 each
eBay says they are the same as the genuine ones £27.

I am tempted as the other 2 could also fail soon. i.e. 3x £138 verses 3x £27.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If you are looking at non genuine I’d stick with Bosch

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Got then ABS ESP Non operative and the Run Flat indicator message, checked on MBII and it says its the back left WSS.

I always buy genuine MB parts, but having replaced all 4 sensors @ 9 years old at 44,000 miles and now 5 years later and only 9,000 miles more, I have lost a front and now a rear sensor … I think these parts are rubbish.

But whats the risk?
2. Could they send a crazy result to the CPU and say cause a wheel lock up? Or do they just fail with no drama.?
3. As ai would just change one could there be a difference in signals they send i.e. not match the other side of the axle, which is genuine MB?

Genuine MB £138 each

I'm always a touch dubious about sellers ( especially ones who only joined ebay in June this year) offering cheap items, with "Best Offer". All feedback relates to sensors of different types, but they are obviously all recent purchases and who knows how long they will last? I'm all for saving cash but I wouldn't buy them. As above, try Bosch if you're going none MB. JMO obviously.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
They are pretty simple parts and if I had to guess, I would say the majority fail through physical damage e.g. from water ingress rather than electrically failing.
As long as the housing and wiring connector is good, the 3rd part ones should be OK.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Decided not to chance it, in case it was not the sensor.
MB genuine less discount was £124.
Fitted it - and thankfully ALL works. ABS, ESP, RunFlat Indi, and the electronic parking brake now works properly again.

Q Tested the 2 electrical pins. No resistance, Open circuit.
should there be a resistance ?

Parts dept. Say they fail (along with other suspension part) very quickly in UK (but not in Germany ) due to appalling British Roads, MB is convinced it is the abnormal shocks and vibrations.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

But whats the risk?

Genuine MB £138 each

I replaced 2a one benz about 130 if memory correct the other febi less than half I see which fails first. Don't see any risks other than having to change one agaub

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom