worry about owning mercedes benz

Banus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Kompressor Sport Factory AMG Body Kit.
Yep I can empathise with your concerns but worrying about what may happen does take the enjoyment out of ownership and I have to make a concerted effort to enjoy driving my MB and stop trying to imagine I've heard something.

I used to have a BMW M3 which was lovely to look at but a nightmare to own as I was frightened to park and leave it anywhere as I was sure when I returned I'd find a tatty old van parked within 6" of my drivers door, and on one occasion I did.

I also delayed buying a Ducati due to the horror stories over servicing / reliability / repair costs. However despite this I eventually bit the bullet 5 years ago and never looked back. The net is an incredible tool but it can also scare you to the point that you'd be frightened to get out of bed.

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
I was frightened to park and leave it anywhere as I was sure when I returned I'd find a tatty old van parked within 6" of my drivers door, and on one occasion I did.

lol same as me. I always look for free spaces where there are no cars around. Ironically, when i return after 10 mns, swamp of cars everywhere and am like what the h...! Before leaving, i take my time to go through my car to check out for scratches or dents. Too many 'Jealous' frustrated people around looking for who to unleash their rage at.:sad:

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
My 300TD's cruise control has failed...so has the interior lighting, dashboard lighting, drivers mirror adjust, rear wash-wipe, heated rear screen, exterior temp meter, fuel gauge, rev counter, central locking and the mist lamp switch is dodgy. The door panels miss a few clips, she smokes like a chimney, stalls on idle when restarted when warm(?) and the gearbox has seen better days...

then again it is getting on for 400000miles, still runs, got through the mot haha so its the last thing that keeps me awake at night.

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cruise control has failed...so has the interior lighting, dashboard lighting, drivers mirror adjust, rear wash-wipe, heated rear screen, exterior temp meter, fuel gauge, rev counter, central locking and the mist lamp switch is dodgy. The door panels miss a few clips, she smokes like a chimney, stalls on idle when restarted when warm(?) and the gearbox has seen better days...

@OP You see there are worse cases where ownership could be strenuous like this one here. You are not alone! Another morale boost :)!

cruiser

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CLK 220 CDi Avantgarde ...gone - 2009 E320 CDi Sport - gone. Current 2010 E350 w212 CDi sport.
:)And did I mention intermittent ABS failure, heater stuck on and broken radio!!!!

Oh boy, heater stuck on -in Lisbon. That could get warm in the summer! Hope all the windows work.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Oh boy, heater stuck on -in Lisbon. That could get warm in the summer! Hope all the windows work.

Without a viscous fan queuing in high temps I have to have the heater fan on high in my w124 sometimes...luckily the centre vents only blow cold so just point the side vents out the open windows and put the selector onto the handy "vents only" setting and there isn't an ounce of difference from when the heater isn't on.

so much so i'm not going to fix the viscous fan as i see it as unessecary. Needs to queue for 30 mins even in 35 degrees heat just to get to 95 degrees c without the heater on anyway...i only put the heater on when i see a hundred and it never goes any further...some of the tolerances built into these old cars are comically high!

is it just me who thinks coping with quirks shows a degree of enginuity and adds character?? The antethis to the modern "throw away anything without a warranty" brigade??

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
What,,, no wheel bearing failures :D

Oh yes, but I fixed that, all the irrelevant non-safety items I've left.
Luckily it has no electric windows or air-co, or they would probably be busted too.
You can turn the heater right off, so that's what i do when ot gets over 35ºC.

Oh, and did I mention the centre vents are busted, the radio buttons are knackered, one headlight has rusted away on the inside, headlamp tilt adjust is broken, tow bar electrics missing, tail-gate struts sagging, windscreen rubber leaking, fag lighter broke, :):):)

I'd love to go to MB in London somewhere and get a quote to do the whole lot!

In the meantime, it managed to tow 4 tons of tractor and trailer up a hill last week so that I could bump start it, what a machine.

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the Africans stealing it...

Are you serious, mate? I smell prejudice here. My ancestors are Africans so please respect the charter and regulations of this forum! :)

Top Bottom