Xenon upgrade - what do I need

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Hi,
I've just swapped my E320 CDi for an S320 CDi (54 plate Face lift model), and while I'm really happy with the car overall, I have to say the headlights are a bit pathetic. I'm therefore wondering what I would need to upgrade the lights to Xenons? I'm pretty sure I could source two headlamp units from a breakers without much trouble, but are they self contained, or do I need other parts?

I've seen mention of extra wiring? Also that the car needs to be programmed to tell it it has HDI units rather than Halogens. I would probably take it to someone like Andy Gayle to actually do the work, but need to know what I need to get. I'm happy to spend a reasonable amount to do the job properly, though I would balk at the £2,000 - £2,500 I've seen mentioned for a dealer to perform the work!!!

Any info greatfully received.

I'm also looking at Osram Night Breaker bulb as a fall back position if I can't get Xenon's fitted - has anyone tried these? Do they really make much difference over the standard fit lamps?

TIA,
Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
By rights the car should have self leveling sensors fitted also headlamp washers, thats the way it should be done

euromerc in my signature has a brand new pair cheap

OP
B

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Thanks for the response Malcolm - the car does have headlamp washers, and it has "Airmatic" susspension which is described as self leveling in the handbook, though I seem to remember reading somewhere that the lamp units themselves contain self elvelers for teh lights (but I can't rememrber whether it was a generic comment or specific to Mercs / S-class)

The link you posted raises another question - does it matter if the units are Xenon or Bi-Xenon? euromerc has Bi-Xenon's at what looks like a very reasonable price, but what else would I need to do?

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The car should have leveling sensors fitted to both axles Bill, this is nothing to do with the cars leveling system, some people fit them without

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Hi,

Hope you don't mind piggy backing on this thread, but thinking of upgrading to Xenons myself. If you think I should start my own thread please tell me so.

I have an 02/52 CLK.

I would like to keep things MB - if the wallet can afford it, so would it be a straight swap for Xenon headlight units or is this not the case?

If the cost is too high, there are a couple of other options I can see are available being an aftermarket HID kit (seen them for less than £100) or simply usuing Xenon lightbulbs (complete kits for less than £20). Any comments on these options would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help, it is as always greatly appreciated.

Iain the gadget

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 230CLK W163 ML270cdi
I'm also looking at Osram Night Breaker bulb as a fall back position if I can't get Xenon's fitted - has anyone tried these? Do they really make much difference over the standard fit lamps?

TIA,
Bill

Nightbreakers are indeed very good. Probably the best of the 'normal' lamps.

G

Geezer

I have to laugh at this thread. :D There's a huge argument elsewhere!:rolleyes:

julesg007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC 250 D AMG
Lesson learnt - search smarter....

Done that and yes there is a fair amount of info concerning this subject.

Seems I got a bit more reading of other threads

Apologies for being a bit of a dim wit!!!!!!!!!!

Did see someone else's comments about Osram Night Breakers on another thread and they were not too positive.

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport

TIA,
Bill

Nightbreakers are indeed very good. Probably the best of the 'normal' lamps.

Ive used the nightbreaker.....go for the Philiphs Xtreme power instead....its much brighter.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Personally i would save your money on a xenon upgrade as i dont think they light up much more road than a standard halogen with a modern high quality reflector. I have stock xenons in my w203. I also do a lot of off roading at night on a quad (road legal) and tried all sorts of bulbs, tried krypton,xenon halogen etc. The only difference was mainly the colour. piaa xenon halogen bulbs do give out a little more light for the same wattage but for the money at £30 each compared to £5 for a halogen i dont think it was worth it.
I opted for a pair of 50mm self contained hids,costing £236 for a pair,certainly not allowed for road but turn night into day off road.
100w halogens bulbs are available but again,not allowed on a road vehicle.
I do agree that for looks the 5-6000k lights certainly stand out over conventional halogens.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Yeah, i missed it... Doh! thanks !

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Right old barney going on over there..lol
the xenons on my car appear to be more or less "instant on" bar a flicker with no noticable increase in light output .
The self contained ones i have on my quad flash up like a flourescent light with a purply colour then get brighter over 20 secs. they are 30w,5500k yet appear to blow away my car ones at ? Why are the two different?
General consensus appears to be that xenons are a marked improvement even if i dont particularly share this view.(i have very good eye sight before someone suggests i need a trip to the opticians :) )

Last edited:
OP
B

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Well a plethora of responses, and thank you, but despite searching, I can't seem to find an answer to my question. Yes, there is a massive debate of the legality of the after market kits, but what I would like to know is what MB parts I need to replace my curent halogens with HID lamps.

Are the lamp units self contained, so it's just a matter of purchasing two HID units and swapping them?

Are there any additional parts I need?

Do I have to fit single Xenon's, or can I fit Bi-Xenons? Euromerc have a pair of bi-xenons for £499 which looks quite appealing

Any information or responses reagarding these these question is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yes the lamp units are self contained and should be a straight swap for the halogens.
You will need the extra loom for the level sensors, which you also need.

This info comes from doing the retro-fit on my C class so there could well be a difference with the S class....

Bi-xenons are better in that the xenon bulb stays on when on main beam. It has a metal shutter the deflect the beam in dipped mode. Both types use a halogen bulb as the second light.

OP
B

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Thanks whitenemesis. Where the leveling sensors already fitted to your C-Class, or did you have to fit them yourself? Mine has self levelling "airmatic" suspension, but from Malcolm's reply, I'm not sure that's teh same thing, though they may share the same sensor.

Cheers,
Bill

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No the light leveling adjusters are separate things mounted on the front and rear axle for the lights

OP
B

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Thank you very much Malcolm and whitenemesis. It looks like my shopping list is:

2 x HID headlamp units
1 x front axle sensor (+ cable loom)
1 x rear axle sensor (+ cable loom)
a bit of labour.

Given the pair of bi-xenons on Mercland at £500, I should be able to get the whole thing done for under a grand I think. (Though I might try a pair of Philips ot Osram lamps first just to see if they make enough difference - not going to be as bright as xenons, but only £18!!!)

Cheers,
Bill

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 Cdi and S type Jag 2.7 Diesel Sport Saloon, and now a VW diesel GT golf
To Xenon or Not To Xenon

I havbe an L270 W163 and was not inpressed with the lights.
I have tried every bulb known to man and found they were a TOTAL wast of money.
I decided a few months ago to give Xenon a try and was and still am over the moon with them.
There are many to choose from and after much questioning and searching went for Xenon Super Vision HID with a temperature rating of 6000K from
www.convert2xenon.com
The total cost for 4 bulb units and 4 igniters was less than £250 fitted.
The light output from the Xenon units makes the best "super" bulbs look yellow.
They are made to fit every car and are a birect swap even the loom is supplied ready to connect.
All you have to do is fix the ignitor to the vehicle close to the lamp unit, connect the cables , fit the bulb (just like fitting the original bulb) and off you go.
The power consumption is a lot less than the standard resistive filament bulbs but I would say at least twice the light and WHITE light at that.

Regards.

Mike

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom