VW in the dock...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Apparently VW were made aware of it 18 months ago according to an interview with one of the folks from the lab that uncovered it.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
probably hoped it would never see daylight though. and its backfired on them

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Hopefully this debacle will be the end of filthy diesel and car makers will actively start introducing hydrogen and other alternative non-polluting fuels.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Hopefully this debacle will be the end of filthy diesel and car makers will actively start introducing hydrogen and other alternative non-polluting fuels.

Non polluting?
Well if the electricity is from wind, solar, hydro electric they are clean except for the building of such things. Some hydro electric systems pump water back up at night using grid power that may be from dirty sources.
As more cars need to be charged from the mains or hydrogen split from water using electricity the suppliers wont be able to meet demand.
More power will have to be from dirty sources or nuclear which some people see as clean but it's nasty stuff to get rid of.
But if we can't see it, it's clean, right?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
When someone says 'My electric car is clean and doesn't hurt the environment'.

I always ask them where they get the electric from to charge it up! :rolleyes: ;)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
It's just been on TV that Mercedes say they have never used any cheat devices.

As all manufactures will have cars checked, it would be a silly statement to make if it wasn't true.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the jokes, the F1 thread or here.
12036649_816346218463578_6895438939384452212_n_zpso2bnry9t.png

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I wonder how a lowly VW salesman feels this morning, his bonus literally disappearing in a puff of smoke.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I wonder how a lowly VW salesman feels this morning, his bonus literally disappearing in a puff of smoke.

I was thinking that too - people interested in cars get over-excited about this stuff but I must say we've had a lot of comments from neighbours, friends and colleagues about it.

I bet the salesmen are glad the news didn't come our before Sept 1st - I'm sure some people would have refused cars pending clarification of the situation.

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
When someone says 'My electric car is clean and doesn't hurt the environment'.

I always ask them where they get the electric from to charge it up! :rolleyes: ;)

The thing is that electricity CAN BE produced from clean sources; an I.C.E. is never going to be clean. The other important point is where the filth is produced, and how efficiently it can be controlled - much preferable to have a power station away from densely populated areas with centralised emission reduction instead of every vehicle having to lug its own (expensive) catalysor, EGR valve and other endless and fault-probe devices.

Let alone the noise aspect... electricity is the future.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
... electricity is the future.

Not unless they make the batteries last like a petrol/diesel equivalent range and power wise it isn't.

Take the Tesla. 450miles if you drive everywhere at 25mph (bit of an issue with motorways then). Or normal round town with some A/B roads gives around 330miles. Use the power for spirited driving though and you're looking at 200ish.

More chance of the future being Flubber!!

I think hybrids will be the way for now.

What they need to do to help is develop ultra low rolling resistance tyres which don't compromise grip. But that would take far greater minds than mine.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Lets not forget that only 10 years ago the closest you would get to an electric car was a milk float and you can see how far the technology has come. The Tesla is pretty impressive (I rode in one in Amsterdam - a lot of the cars at the airport are Teslas) and have supercar performance on tap when required.
Another 5 years will see further dramatic improvements in electric cars which will make them far more acceptable to the mainstream.
As it stands I'd still buy a Tesla if I had the cash - 200 miles wouldn't be an issue for me commuting and I have the r129 for longer trips.

OP
DSB SL AMG

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
Lotus built the early Tesla 2 seater (Elise platform) under license starting back in 2006, I remember one of my old colleagues going down there to run production for a short time...battery technology is evolving however I am little disappointed they have not moved further ahead over the last 9 years...

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/lotus-position

Lets not forget that only 10 years ago the closest you would get to an electric car was a milk float and you can see how far the technology has come. The Tesla is pretty impressive (I rode in one in Amsterdam - a lot of the cars at the airport are Teslas) and have supercar performance on tap when required.
Another 5 years will see further dramatic improvements in electric cars which will make them far more acceptable to the mainstream.
As it stands I'd still buy a Tesla if I had the cash - 200 miles wouldn't be an issue for me commuting and I have the r129 for longer trips.

OP
DSB SL AMG

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
Back to my original post, CEO nailed 'what a surprise', so all is now okay:shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34340997

New incumbent captain at the helm of a leaderless ship heading towards a huge iceberg I think....mission impossible?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business

$18billion possible lawsuit:shock: this could break them...brand reputation and integrity shattered, I wonder which business exec they will nail for this to carry the can!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...scheme-exposed-as-u-s-weighs-criminal-charges

Last edited:

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
The obvious answer to the range problem of EVs is to have exchangeable batteries, where you could swap your empty battery for a full one underway, just like filling up really. You would no longer 'own' a battery, just have a deposit on it. These could be modular too, so you could have more or less on board.

I can't see any technical reason not to do this, just the price of the extra batteries, but it would need the manufacturers to get their act together: if they had spent time and money on this or other ideas, instead of injecting piiss into exhaust gases, we might have been a bit further at this stage.

Last edited:

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
Wonder what severance parachute package the CEO got after resigning.

That song "TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN" comes to mind.

:p

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
The obvious answer to the range problem of EVs is to have exchangeable batteries, where you could swap your empty battery for a full one underway, just like filling up really. You would no longer 'own' a battery, just have a deposit on it. These could be modular too, so you could have more or less on board.

I disagree. I think Tesla have the right idea with a 0-80% charge in 40mins. Shame it requires a Tesla Super Charge station. But they are installing more and more all the time.

The reason they haven't is the oil industry has too much hold on the automotive business.

If they put more money into research of battery and charging technology. Then I see no reason why they can't give a 500mile minimum range (I.e spirited driving but drive normally and you can get more) and 30min fast charge giving you at least 80% from 0. However people could then charge for 15mins as very few would drive 500miles in one go. So it wouldn't be any different to now when people have breaks etc on long journeys.

Tesla already offer an upgrade for an extra 5% on the range of the battery. Not much for now but a step in the right direction.

That and regeneration through not only braking but also some way of doing it through the friction of the moving parts, say the wheels. Eventually someone would find a way of making it so the regeneration was at least equal to (but ideally greater) to the power required for harvesting.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Wonder what severance parachute package the CEO got after resigning.

That song "TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN" comes to mind.

:p

Probably one that means his feet won't ever touch the ground.

No doubt be similar for the guys they're reportedly going to sack who were head of engine and software development at the time.

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

I can't see any technical reason not to do this, just the price of the extra batteries, but it would need the manufacturers to get their act together: if they had spent time and money on this or other ideas, instead of injecting piiss into exhaust gases, we might have been a bit further at this stage.

Like this?:

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=C212GB80031D20131219&p=tesla+battery+swap

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom