W220 airmatic - car wont raise

S500-03

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes s500 2003
Hi all,

I had problems with my front struts, they'd drop to the ground after a few hours so I ended up changing the pump and valve body. ( yes I inspected the struts for leaks and there weren't, used soap water method)

I put new airmatic pump & valve body..but didnt change the relay, does it make a difference?

The pump turns on but the car doesnt raise. The message appears on screen " Vehicle rising ". Once the pump stops it reads " Visit workshop ".

I pulled out the fittings from top of the struts where the vacuum line goes and noticed there was no air coming out of the lines while the pump was running.

What could cause that?? Is it possible because of the relay?? obviously the pump is working but the shocks arent getting supplied.

Last edited:

hmang

Reaction score
i would have said its the valve block but you say you've replaced a valve body. are we talking about the same thing ?
the multi ported ,aluminium block,rectangular in shape, maybe 7"x 2" x1" that mounts just by the pump ?
it deffo sounds like yours is faulty as this is responsible for distributing the air to the individual struts.
i might have a spare one around to compare .are you near dorset?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Surely it must be a valve/block, how long does the pump run for

OP
S

S500-03

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes s500 2003
Thanks guys for the response.

Yes that's the part I'm talking about, above the pump. Bought it new from the dealership. I actually am from Canada. I just registered as members seem much more helpful than our forum.

So yes the pump and valve are new. All 4 corners are slammed to the floor and won't raise. As mentioned, the pump turns on..runs for maybe 10-15 sec? Then message appears " visit work shop" I guess because it doesn't raise.

The pump is definetly making air/pressure because when I undid the fitting from the valve that goes on FROM the pump there was air leaking. So when I pulled off the vacuum line from the top of the strut to see if the struts are being fed..there was no air even when the pump was running.

So what could cause that? I doubt a new valve would be faulty??

I love this car..and trying not to hate it but I'm very discouraged now...

Argus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 Brilliant Blue/Grey, M274
I'm sorry I can't help with this problem. But I hope you get it fixed soon and you don't get too discouraged. They're great cars and I'm certain you'll enjoy it when the airmatic is sorted out.
Welcome to the forum :)

OP
S

S500-03

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes s500 2003
Thanks buddy..I can't wait to fix it

hmang

Reaction score
find someone with star diagnostic and clear all your fault codes away .
try to get the car to raise again.
if it works then fabulous
if not then the star should give an indication where the problem is

we know the compressor is good . relay too . valve block is brand new so very unlikely to be duff .
is the electrical plug to the valve block properly home ? as the rubber seal in the plug can swell sometimes. ...just a thought
i assume that you have correctly connected all the pipes to their proper ports..worth a double check ....they're colour coded if i remember

Hardaker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDi 2008 W221
Similar problem on a W220

I hear something running intermittently, pitch is just above middle C. After this the suspension goes hard with the Visit Workshop message showing. Switching off and starting again the problem will go away for a while. Checking through the suspension operations it seems to go to Sports 1 and Sports 2 settings OK but raising the car does not appear to do much. I know this was fine a while ago. I have also had a red Stop, Suspension Low message, which restarting cleared.
Would somebody be able to advise where the pump is situated; I read the distribution block is nearby. Is there a filter on the air pump that should be cleaned? I would have thought so but no mention of it anywhere.
When I bought the car one of the rear sides was dropped; I did not notice it at the time. I have read this problem is quite common but no 'common' solution is given.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The pump is mounted on the engine, its a dual power steering and suspension pump and the valve block is near by, you cannot miss that as all the pipes go into it.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I hear something running intermittently, pitch is just above middle C. After this the suspension goes hard with the Visit Workshop message showing. Switching off and starting again the problem will go away for a while. Checking through the suspension operations it seems to go to Sports 1 and Sports 2 settings OK but raising the car does not appear to do much. I know this was fine a while ago. I have also had a red Stop, Suspension Low message, which restarting cleared.
Would somebody be able to advise where the pump is situated; I read the distribution block is nearby. Is there a filter on the air pump that should be cleaned? I would have thought so but no mention of it anywhere.
When I bought the car one of the rear sides was dropped; I did not notice it at the time. I have read this problem is quite common but no 'common' solution is given.

Drivers side front wheel, remove wheel, remove inner arch plastics and front under tray, the pump and block are there you can't miss them.

You really need star diagnostics to see what the faults are, the airmatic isn't a complicated setup.

jib

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom