Paint protection - are we over doing it?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
As I'm waiting for delivery for a new car, I decided to look into what paint protection is available. There is everything from plastic "self healing" film, to Swissvax (GBP120 for a 200ml tub) to ceramic/glass coatings. People are even putting ceramic on film and vise versa!

I have to say that I'm not convinced by all the sales pitch / marketing speak.

Like everybody, I've owned many cars over the years. The only car I really paid any real attention to (paint wise) was the SLK I had. It used to get a light waxing and was washed by me regularly and looked fine. All my other car's paintwork looked fine when I sold them on and they generally went through a carwash.

With a company like Mercedes, using modern paint technology, do we really need to go to these lengths to protect the car's paint? Or is a normal wash and light wax good enough?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I would put G Technique on that car, worth having it done before collection, will cost though but well worth it

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Its only when you start to get a little closer, particularly under direct light, that swirls from carwashes, etc, start to become really noticeable.

Having seen a couple of cars that have had paint protection film applied (self-healing with day-to-day light scratching), it really is good stuff.

The additional benefit of course, is that it can always come off at sale time, and leave unmarked paint underneath. (Most owners who go for this get paint correction done beforehand, so the paint is better than factory).

I guess, as with all these things, it comes down to personal choice - what value you put on both the cost of application / maintenance, whether you feel the gains "at the other end" are tangible, the appearance of the car day-to-day.

It sounds like you've been more than happy with your current practice, so probably not an issue.

I think I'd possibly be tempted if I had a brand new car of a certain value (especially an SL400... there was one down here with matt black paint... Mille Miglia edition I think it was).

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Certain colours are harder to keep looking good.

In theory you keep it clean and it should last longer a decent "wax" or finish makes it easier.

Or just keep running round to your local car wash every few weeks its whatever you like.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I'm really impressed with the FK1000P wax that Carl recommended. I think my car had the paint sealed from new when I bought it at 3.5 years old and using the FK1000P keeps it looking really good. One unexpected bonus of using this wax is that the car keeps cleaner most dirt either doesn't stick or washes off with use - very impressed.

As an aside I applied the stuff to my daughters car who does 300+ per week and she commented just how clean the car was keeping

Last edited:
OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I used the Duragloss AquaWax on my SLK and it always had a great shine and depth to the paint work. Made sure to use a shampoo (one of the Dodo Juice range) that didn't strip the wax and the Duragloss seemed to build up to some extent. Was really easy to use, spray onto a wet car (after a quick blow dry) and dry normally.

However that was in sunny Queensland and road salt and other crud was not an issue.

I think I will end up with an easy to use wax of some sort (but probably more durable than what I've used) . I enjoyed washing /waxing the car and did it most weekends.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I,m really impressed with my friends vw sharan, which is now 17 years old, never really washed from new, yet give it a wash and a polish and it comes up great !
A wax keeps it cleaner looking for longer but all these cleaning products ?
Yes i think people are way overdoing it !
I appreciate some love polishing their cars and why not as they do gleam when done... but so does a 10plus year old car that has been neglected... after all, its just the clearcoat thats getting a polish..

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have been so busy for the last few months that no polish on the CL, but the SL looks good as sitting in the garage. The CL will polish up like new and will get done soon as plenty of polish on it, 3 months ago.

DSC01416_zps7c7o6tqi.jpg

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
But nothing stops a stone chipping the bonnet at 70mph or causing rash to the lower valance, I drive long motorway distances in Europe and although my cars have nice paint when polished up the chips and rash are the let down and it's unstoppable in my instance.
So I don't sweat it too much regarding cleaning products and polishes but those swirl marks when the sun hits it can make you cringe and look for a shaded spot to park in.

:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
But nothing stops a stone chipping the bonnet at 70mph or causing rash to the lower valance, I drive long motorway distances in Europe and although my cars have nice paint when polished up the chips and rash are the let down and it's unstoppable in my instance.
So I don't sweat it too much regarding cleaning products and polishes but those swirl marks when the sun hits it can make you cringe and look for a shaded spot to park in.

I have no swirl marks on either of mine at all.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...

That's where the paint protection film comes in!

But then we're back to what you consider value against the cost of applying it.

Tis a tricky old one! I think I would... If I could afford it! :confused:

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
That's where the paint protection film comes in!

But then we're back to what you consider value against the cost of applying it.

Tis a tricky old one! I think I would... If I could afford it! :confused:

Is it really worth applying a protective film? In my experience in Oz - No. All my cars in the last 25 years have been parked outside in temperatures from 0 to 45c, been pee'd upon by possums and birds, hailed on and covered in leaves from pin oak and melaleuca trees. A wash every 2-3 weeks and they look like new. The only paint problems have been stone chips (unavoidable if used regularly on dirt roads) and car park cancer.

Protective film on a B Class costs around AUD 1500, doesn't make a visible difference and makes no difference to the resale value, so what is the point?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
And therein lies my point. Value of car, value to the owner, etc, etc... Vs actual cost of the application.

Mine comes up ok with pretty straight forward care, and once or twice a year a bit of a clay & polish, then re-wax.

If I had the money, and was driving something exotic, then I'd probably stump up.

Don't think there's a (legal) cure for car park cancer though... Short of an MBT!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
If I had the money, and was driving something exotic, then I'd probably stump up.

Exactly, we are talking about a £100k car here, if I could buy it I would think nothing about spending £500 protecting the paint / interior

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Exactly, we are talking about a £100k car here, if I could buy it I would think nothing about spending £500 protecting the paint / interior

I'm with you there. My detailer is constantly doing new showroom cars at the top end ( slums it with mine a little lol). The kamikaze protection mine has is just amazing, dirt just drops off. Ok it won't stop a stone chip but otherwise its bulletproof...if I was buying a brand new SL I wouldn't hesitate
https://www.kamikaze-collection.com/

Last edited:
OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I'm with you there. My detailer is constantly doing new showroom cars at the top end ( slums it with mine a little lol). The kamikaze protection mine has is just amazing, dirt just drops off. Ok it won't stop a stone chip but otherwise its bulletproof...if I was buying a brand new SL I wouldn't hesitate
https://www.kamikaze-collection.com/

How long have you had the coating?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Don't think there's a (legal) cure for car park cancer though... Short of an MBT!

When my then-new-to-me Vectra hod had both offside doors dinged to fcuk, and
Withams had a load of Ferrets going for about £3.5k a pop, I did seriously consider buying one. It would have just got through the gates across the driveway too.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom