2007 E320 estate (W211) tailgate struts

tigertegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Brabus E320 sport estate automatic 2007
Hello, can anyone please assist with advice on how to replace defective tailgate struts on my W211 estate. The cylinder on one strut appears to have split, with the result that the tailgate closes 80% and then returns to fully open unless given a firm manual push

OP
tigertegg

tigertegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry, I'm new to this and now realise that the correct identification code for my Merc should be S211.
I hope that someone may be able to assist me.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It’s a right pain in the bum involving removal of boot trim and headliner...

OP
tigertegg

tigertegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s a right pain in the bum involving removal of boot trim and headliner...
Thank you. Someone suggested that it is possible to carry out this job by removal of the coat hanger/luggage safety net hook but I have no details.

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Hello, can anyone please assist with advice on how to replace defective tailgate struts on my W211 estate. The cylinder on one strut appears to have split, with the result that the tailgate closes 80% and then returns to fully open unless given a firm manual push
Hi can't help with removal but try SGS engineering for struts .they make them on site in uk use them all the time they are very helpful. If you order in morning arrives next day .hope it helps .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

OP
tigertegg

tigertegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi can't help with removal but try SGS engineering for struts .they make them on site in uk use them all the time they are very helpful. If you order in morning arrives next day .hope it helps .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Thank you but unfortunately SGS don't stock the struts which accord to MB's latest quoted part numbers: A211 980 1364(left)/1464(right).
Horror upon horror, I now find that there appear to be two struts on either side!!

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
All i know is that MB took £500 of my folks to fix theirs....

James Debuse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e320 cdi estate w211
The struts on my 2007 e320 cdi estate have definitely " gone" . I've seen a video on YouTube on how to replace them. As mentioned it involves removing the coat/luggage hooks to access the securing points. Looks like a real pain but needs must I guess. I'll try it in the future. Maybe

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom