Thoughts on banning Petrol, diesel & hybrid vehicles by 2035

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
If you have somewhere to plug it in they could be very usable for people like EmilysMum that do very few miles & only ever potter around town. She's lucky if she does 3000 miles a year

There are so many drivers who just need to get around locally. Journeys longer than 100 miles are exceptional for many. For the last five years of my late dad's driving career, he never drove further than 12 miles. If folk like him were driving electric cars, pollution would be considerably reduced.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
If that suited Emily's mum's circumstances then great but maybe a govt or local authority investing in an amazing public transport system for a city would be a better system.

An amazing public transport system would cost such an enormous amount of money. I commute into London every day. Even a seat would be amazing. Elderly rural folk will benefit hugely from a sensibly priced electric car.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
An amazing public transport system would cost such an enormous amount of money. I commute into London every day. Even a seat would be amazing. Elderly rural folk will benefit hugely from a sensibly priced electric car.
Other countries seem to manage very well.
Spain as we've seen with Valencia.
France as I've experienced with Bordeaux where a park and ride on the tram was €4 for 4 people including a days parking in the edge of Bordeaux.

Decent affordable public transport in the UK should be relatively easy as the population density is much higher than either France or Spain yet for some reason seems to be out of reach. I suspect much of the issue is fragmentation of responsibility where individual sections of public transport don't join well with other sections (eg buses that don't run to arrival and departure of trains etc).
If buses were scheduled to coincide with train timetables there would be less incentive to drive.
In my own case I've commuted to Birmingham for the past 16 months by train. To get to the station is a 4 mile drive. Too far to walk. Buses go to the station but not at times that suit train arrival and departure. Nett result I drive 4 miles each way and pay £5 per day parking. If the bus was in sync with train timetables I would seriously consider using it. It's this type of simple idea that's needed to get public transport working properly.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Decent affordable public transport in the UK should be relatively easy as the population density is much higher than either France or Spain yet for some reason seems to be out of reach. I suspect much of the issue is fragmentation of responsibility where individual sections of public transport don't join well with other sections (eg buses that don't run to arrival and departure of trains etc).

When I've been to any city in France, Spain and Italy I've never noticed anything other than a fully/partially government owned transport company owning (or atleast running) all routes within the city (a bit like TFL in London). I've also never seen any other country's national rail network which is not just one operator for all trains, etc.

Perhaps with just one government owned organisation they can focus on what actually matters and what is important rather than only "their share" of the transport system and spending thousands on marketing and consultants, etc. I'm not an advocate of British Leyland and stuff like that but for complicated public goods that are natural monopolies countries that have not privatised seem to do a lot lot better.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
In my own case I've commuted to Birmingham for the past 16 months by train. To get to the station is a 4 mile drive. Too far to walk. Buses go to the station but not at times that suit train arrival and departure. Nett result I drive 4 miles each way and pay £5 per day parking. If the bus was in sync with train timetables I would seriously consider using it. It's this type of simple idea that's needed to get public transport working properly.

This mirrors my own experience. 4 mile drive. Train to London. Bus to work.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Don't get this at all. Are you saying that there won't be secondhand cars in 2035? Just like today you will have older vehicles which will be electric. So charging those will be no different to filling your secondhand diesel, expect less polluting.

Travel would get more restricted without this push to carbon neutral than it would be with as it will be less environmentally impacting.
Hopefully you are right and i am wrong. My persepective is based on future electric/ autonomous cars being part of the "internet of things". Look it up online if you don't know what it is.

Personally i find it difficult to think this technology would result in enhanced freedoms.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Hopefully you are right and i am wrong. My persepective is based on future electric/ autonomous cars being part of the "internet of things". Look it up online if you don't know what it is.

Personally i find it difficult to think this technology would result in enhanced freedoms.

I am a Chief Technologist for a living, so understanding IoT is not an issue. We also cover the automotive industry.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well HS2's costs are in the billions so with the political will it could be done. Park & Ride with a city centre of no vehicles at all. Not sure it would work in London though.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am a Chief Technologist for a living, so understanding IoT is not an issue. We also cover the automotive industry.
That's great so you forsee no issues?

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
These initial models (S and X) are never intended to be mass-market models. They are expensive and were always intended to subsidise the more mainstream Model 3 and Y coming online now and further R&D which they are.

In the not too distant future I can't see a reason for people to own their own car once autonomous vehicles are common-place. Glorified public taxis should be all that is required.

What a grim future you envisage.[/QUOTE]

It's potentially a really attractive prospect. It seems obvious that those who want to own their own car will still have that choice, though it may become expensive. But everyone will be able to enjoy door to door autonomous transport. Imagine the old folk suddenly having freedom to get around easily. I will be falling into that category by the time this is all achieved and the thought of being trapped in my country home isn't very appealing.

I can see that it might be costly, but not necessarily.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A life with autonomous cars "driverless ubers" should be much cheaper and more suitable than a lot of public transport.

Waiting in the rain for the one bus a day can't be much fun.

Your Uber pod picks you up from home takes you to the train then goes off to pick someone else up.

Maybe thats where the government should be investing as clearly uber et al will just want to cherry pick the cities.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Or the Spanish Imposition even, one of Blackadders finest.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only 12 years away.

Car industry must be very worried. 12 years before most people stop buying new cars. Used car prices will go through the roof.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Only 12 years away.

Car industry must be very worried. 12 years before most people stop buying new cars. Used car prices will go through the roof.
Why would people stop buying new cars?
The sheeple will buy what they're told to (just as they did with diesels).

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why would people stop buying new cars?
The sheeple will buy what they're told to (just as they did with diesels).
Price i would imagine would be the major factor. Electric cars are not exactly cheap. Maybe they will be by then?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Price i would imagine would be the major factor. Electric cars are not exactly cheap. Maybe they will be by then?
It's 12-15 years away. Economies of scale and mass production will see prices fall.
How much was a 60" AMOLED TV when they first appeared compared to now? Or Blu-ray players?

Top Bottom