Tesla S doing 146 kph -93 mph with both asleep .No joke .

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Spoted this on Fox news today . Tesla S driverless car was found to be travelling at 146kph or 93 mph on an highway near Edmonton close to Alberta USA .The Canadian Mounted Police , said both front seats were fully reclined and both occupants seemed to be asleep .So this sounds good to me haha.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
So if Tesla branch out into Winnebagos, you really will be able to put it into cruise while you go back & make a brew! :):):D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Spoted this on Fox news today . Tesla S driverless car was found to be travelling at 146kph or 93 mph on an highway near Edmonton close to Alberta USA .The Canadian Mounted Police , said both front seats were fully reclined and both occupants seemed to be asleep .So this sounds good to me haha.

Those guys have got more courage than I would have. I would be too terrified to sleep in a driverless car :eek::eek:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I saw this story on Auntie Beeb news page - it said they're due to appear in the coming week and the driver has been charged with dangerous driving. Describing the occurrence, the police said that when they cleared vehicles around and particularly in front of the Tesla it almost immediately increased speed - I saw 93 mph quoted as well.

As AJD said, these people either have incredible courage to trust the Tesla or they's as thick as the proverbial short planks!

...Hmm I wonder if Tesla will pay their legal fees as a thank you for incredible world wide publicity?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... the police said that when they cleared vehicles around and particularly in front of the Tesla it almost immediately increased speed ....

clearing vehicles is surely the opposite of what they should have done.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I guess they were moving them out of the way in anticipation of a prang?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Literally an accident waiting to happen.
You'll not get me in a driverless car.
My C Class does some off that Tesla stuff, I can set the speed and take my hands off the wheel and do nothing to control the car. At M/Way speeds it will drive itself and steer around bends, slow down for traffic ahead and accelerate when it's clear. But after a set time or distance , it will show a big red warning on the screen of a steering wheel with two hands not quite on the wheel and if I don't take control of the car, it will switch the cruise and other systems off.
To be honest, I wouldn't trust it over my own driving capabilities, I could never ever think of falling asleep!

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
My C Class does some off that Tesla stuff, I can set the speed and take my hands off the wheel and do nothing to control the car. At M/Way speeds it will drive itself and steer around bends, slow down for traffic ahead and accelerate when it's clear. But after a set time or distance , it will show a big red warning on the screen of a steering wheel with two hands not quite on the wheel and if I don't take control of the car, it will switch the cruise and other systems off.
To be honest, I wouldn't trust it over my own driving capabilities, I could never ever think of falling asleep!
A C Class can do that? What is that feature called?
Driving Assistance or something similar I am guessing? I did not know it could steer around bends.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Driving Assistance or something similar I am guessing? I did not know it could steer around bends.

It's the Premium Plus Spec, uses Distronic, Cruise etc etc, has two cameras in the windcreen to scan/follow the road and radar to scan for hazards/slower vehicles in front too. It will steer round bends on the m/way at speed, but not as smooth as I would if I was holding the wheel.

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
copied from a Tesla page. " Once engaged, if insufficient torque is applied, Autopilot will also deliver an escalating series of visual and audio warnings, reminding you to place your hands on the wheel if insufficient torque is applied. If you repeatedly ignore these warnings, you will be locked out from using Autopilot during that trip. "

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.

It's called Brilliant Blue :geek::rolleyes::D:cool:

My GLE does all that too, on all types of roads that are mapped in the sat nav system. Brakes a lot later and harder than I would. Also accelerates harder than I would when going up in speed limit as detected by the Traffic Sign Assyst system that picks up road signs using the camera system.

On private roads, it goes about 8 miles before the display comes up with the steering wheel / hands message.

The systems change names as each pack comes out. What was distronic is Distance Pilot
Plus on my Brilliant Blue GLE.

Top Bottom