Battery conditioner / charger advice needed

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
A few weeks ago I got a warning to say the collision prevention system was inoperative. Some very kind people on here told me it was just a battery issue, and so after a reasonably long drive the warning went away. I'm only really doing short drives during lockdown, and the warning is back again now.

Is it worth me investing in a battery conditioner / charger? I see on these pages that everyone recommends getting a CTEK. I'm looking at the MXS 5.0. Is this the right one to go for, for very occasional use? Or can anyone advise which model might be best suited for my car (2015 e350). Also, I don't have a garage, but I do have a big drive with an outdoor socket. Can these things be safely left on charge overnight? Can I close the bonnet with the charger inside the engine bay? Or do I connect it via the boot? Does the charger charge both batteries at the same time? And lastly, (scuze my ignorance) I can't find a negative terminal or brass post inside the engine bay, and the handbook diagram is useless. Where do I connect the negative terminal? Do I hook this charger up via the engine bay, or the boot? (A photo would be extremely appreciated!) Thanks.

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The Maypole 7423 is a good value option ,everyone I know now has one . About £25

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
They sell CTEK in Lidl as well as their own cheaper charger.

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205 C250 BluTec Estate 2014
After a lengthy discussion on this forum, I went for the MXS 7 as it didn't exceed the maximum permitted voltage in the ordinary charge mode on my C250. Whereas the MXS 5 did. This applies if you charge with the battery still connected in the car.
You will need to check your manual about maximum charge voltages. On the other hand you could take a view and not worry about it as the MXS 7 is around £100.

(The original post was started by me.
Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by bc100, Jul 27, 2020)

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
For motorbik
After a lengthy discussion on this forum, I went for the MXS 7 as it didn't exceed the maximum permitted voltage in the ordinary charge mode on my C250. Whereas the MXS 5 did. This applies if you charge with the battery still connected in the car.
You will need to check your manual about maximum charge voltages. On the other hand you could take a view and not worry about it as the MXS 7 is around £100.

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by bc100, Jul 27, 2020)
Thanks for the advice, and the link. I know I'm being an idiot, but can you advise me on whether the charger goes in the engine bay or the boot. And does the charging process charge both batteries at the same time? Thanks again.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
The Maypole 7423 is a good value option ,everyone I know now has one . About £25
Is that suitable for a car? The description says it's for motorbikes?
Actually, looking at it on Amazon, it says its for a range of motors, up to 2.5L
My car has a 3.0L engine. Will it still work?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
For motorbik

Thanks for the advice, and the link. I know I'm being an idiot, but can you advise me on whether the charger goes in the engine bay or the boot. And does the charging process charge both batteries at the same time? Thanks again.

Under the bonnet generally if so you’ll find the positive covered by a red slide to open cover and an earth tower not far away (I think mine on the S212 is next to the strut top housing) and it appears to be alloy (unless that’s just the finish)

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
Motorcycles typically on use a max. of 2 amps for charging. Too little for a car battery which will use up to 14 or even 15 amps.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Under the bonnet generally if so you’ll find the positive covered by a red slide to open cover and an earth tower not far away (I think mine on the S212 is next to the strut top housing) and it appears to be alloy (unless that’s just the finish)
Thanks Malcolm. I found the positive behind the slider. It's just the earth I can't locate.

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
Can these things be safely left on charge overnight? Can I close the bonnet with the charger inside the engine bay?
Yes, provided they are micro processor controlled, like the C-tek. I use a C-tek and it is connected to a car left in the drive via a proper outdoor extension cord; 14AWG. They are designed to be left on for weeks at a time and adjust charge rate as needed.

The C-teck comes with a quick connect pigtail which can be permanently mounted. I have connected to the + battery terminal and have the - attached to a bolt on the engine block. The unit lays nicely in an area in front of the battery. Just make sure all wires / cables are away from belts and fans in case someone starts the vehicle before disconnecting.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score

Thanks for pointing the difference in changing rates out as I’m due an upgrade I now know which one to buy

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Both my cars have Maypole quick connect fly leads connected to the batteries . My neighbour has had his maypole connected almost permanently to his car for the last 3 years as has my Dad , they work a treat .

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Thanks Malcolm. I found the positive behind the slider. It's just the earth I can't locate.

the earth should be 6 inches to the right . looks like this.

68004.jpg

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
If it is something you are going to use regularly, do not use crocodile clips, fit the additional tail connector to the battery terminals and connect via that. CTEK do one with leds (red, yellow, green) which gives an indication of state of battery charge and a guide to when battery needs a top-up charge.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
the earth should be 6 inches to the right . looks like this.

View attachment 63914
Thanks for the photo, but my engine layout is definitely not the same. My battery and positive slider is located back of the bay on the right, so I'm okay with that. But there's no negative post anywhere. I'll have to fasten it to the block as suggested above.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom