320 CDI Engine Probs

siR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 & Golf GTI
Hi All,

Currently we own a 56 Plate CLK 320 CDI Sport & E320 CDI 04 Plate.

Recently Both cars have suffered from the same problem,
Which is after 60mph or so they both lose alot of power.
It's got to the point where my foot can be nailed to the
ground and there's little if no acceleration.
After countless visit's to the MB factory and the car been
so called ''Repaired'' still the same problem.

Needless to say it's getting very frustrating as we have owned both
cars from new and they have never been thrashed, neglected or even
missed one service on schedule.
Im just wondering if anyone else has suffered from the same prob,
Forgot to mention both car's are on around 50k.
Sorry if this is a Re-Post.:)[/FONT]

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Both cars have different types of engine and although the problem is the same, the cause will not be.

The CLK is a 3.0 V6 and the E class is a 3.2 I6. The CLK I can help you with and so can this thread and your problems with the CLK probably stem from the crank shaft sensor.

The I6 could be an airflow issue etc but someone more expert could maybe help you (SAM UNIT or TV come to mind).

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
When it comes to the 642 engine in the CLK, a couple of things come to mind, yes crank sensor recall on that lump, think that one is to early tho!, up and coming faults on that engine is, left hand airflow meter, front main bearing knocking under load, engine and gearbox software and of course the inlet port shut off motor due to the turbo inlet seal dipping oil on to it!

As for the i6 in the e,class, again airflow meter, not common on the 320! turbo hoses blowning off and splitting, EGR valve sticking, charge pressure sensor faults due to the turbo waste gate sticking, needing new turbo! and again, inlet let port shut off motor!!!

mescaline

Reaction score
When it comes to the 642 engine in the CLK, a couple of things come to mind, yes crank sensor recall on that lump, think that one is to early tho!, up and coming faults on that engine is, left hand airflow meter, front main bearing knocking under load, engine and gearbox software and of course the inlet port shut off motor due to the turbo inlet seal dipping oil on to it!

As for the i6 in the e,class, again airflow meter, not common on the 320! turbo hoses blowning off and splitting, EGR valve sticking, charge pressure sensor faults due to the turbo waste gate sticking, needing new turbo! and again, inlet let port shut off motor!!!

Hey man, can you give me more info about 'wastegate sticking' part? I am from Sweden and recently had my car going into limp mode and I scanned car with some generic OBD2 scanner, it gave me P0244 error..it basically means something wrong with that electronic wastegate. I took a look at it and it's a bit "oily" on the outside. Can this be repaired or something? I know that wastegate itself cant be changed...gotta buy the whole new turbo :(

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Its a new turbo im sorry to say, your car is a ????

Welome to the forums

mescaline

Reaction score
Hey S-A-M, thank you for replay.

Car is an W211 E320 CDI, i first took it to regular mechanic, he is an Bosch expert or something and he checked the car, scanned it with Bosch ESI[tronic] system and pulled out codes: P2510 and P2228, he said latter one is something to do with transmission not communicating but that it shouldnt come back, first error had to do with turbo boost not being within specs but he doesn't know why, he said it's probably wastegate getting stuck sometimes but he is not sure and it's one very expensive problem to just guess.

I went to MB dealer after this in hope they would properly diagnose the problem so I know 100% what it is. They said the same thing, pointed at wastegate which was oily and one of technicians said I could try opening it and cleaning it up with some of those elctronic cleaners and see if it helps.... he also said that its possible that it has nothing to do with wastegate and something else might be the problem. They couldn't say for sure.

Car is driving fine, when it's out of limp mode it hauls ass lol, when it's in limp mode...well i have trouble getting it over 100km/h, it's very very slow...

By the way I am from Sweden and just found this thread on google and hoped you could somehow help, turbo for this thing costs insane amount of money and it feels even dumber to change perfectly working turbo because of a few wires :(

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX

Hmmm, front main bearing knocking...:shock:

Is that a major cause for concern (i.e. expense) as I'm on the brink of investing in a 211, and was aiming for a V6.

Thanks

Richard

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hmmm, front main bearing knocking...:shock:

Is that a major cause for concern (i.e. expense) as I'm on the brink of investing in a 211, and was aiming for a V6.

Thanks

Richard

Dealers are doing shed loads of them, no patten, 10.000 miles or 50.000 miles, they just start knocking!!

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm struggling to get my head around this (because of lack of intellect), a main crankshaft (?) bearing failing on a <50k mile merc!

Golly Gosh...

If so, what am I best of with, V6, I6, or I5 (270)?

Cheers

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Its funny, i did 53000 miles in my first R and never knocked once, seen some 08 plate cars knocking like hell, it seems it was around 57 plate to 08 plate!

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's a releif, I'm not flush enough to afford a 07/8 plate, probably an 05/55 plate...

Thanks for the advice Sam Unit

mescaline

Reaction score
If car is standing still...and I rev engine up and down should electronic wastegate move? Because it's not moving, i dont know if it should move at idle... also i tried moving it by hand but no can do :D

One more question...where is EGR valve located on E320 CDI?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the i6 320 cdi, is that a straight 6 engine like the old 300td engine? i thought all the 320cdi's were v6 now? not that i was aware they had changed them, but i have thought about an upgrade. wont be for a while yet though!

Squiz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
52 plate C220 CDI Sports Coupe
Have you used any injector cleaner in your fuel recently?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
You dont have to with the new engines,they run so clean it wouldnt make any differnce!

Squiz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
52 plate C220 CDI Sports Coupe
Sorry for the confusion. The reason I asked is, I did shortly before my CAT broke up & I am trying to see if this is a common factor?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Sorry for the confusion. The reason I asked is, I did shortly before my CAT broke up & I am trying to see if this is a common factor?

Are you talking about the new 642 engine or the older 112 engine, there a world apart!!!

piperdavid12

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes clk220 cdi
My engine is loud

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom