Real World Fuel Economy?

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
what's a d? :rolleyes:

:p

Good point Top Cat, I'm sure some of the younger members have never heard of a "d"

During the olden days when television and Dosco were young (many many years ago) and before Britain became decimalized we were fortunate enough to have 240 pennies to every pound (sterling)
1d is a single penny, 12d = 1 shilling of which there were 20 to the pound.

A gallon of petrol at 2/7d equates to approximately 13p per gallon or a staggering 2.85p per litre. 4/11d would be 24.5p per gallon or 5.39p per litre

It all sounds like a great deal, but when you take into account what the average worker would take home as a wage it was very expensive running a car.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Good point Top Cat, I'm sure some of the younger members have never heard of a "d"

It all sounds like a great deal, but when you take into account what the average worker would take home as a wage it was very expensive running a car.

I have to agree with that we never did own a car and my father earned £3 17s and 6d for a six day (8.5 hour a day 5 hours on a Saturday) week in the coal industry as a face worker - circa 1954. Mind you he always said he would have one when his 'ship came in' I used to tell him that his ship like many others had been sunk by a U-Boat....:)

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
when you could get 5 Woodbines for 5d and you could get into the cinema for a 'tanner' or a packet of dobber's cost a shilling and fish and chips with mushy peas inclusive of B&B and CofT supper was one and a tanner then your bus fare home was 3d and your girl friend paid her own way.....

and in English this means :confused:

(only leg pulling, I get the gist if not the detail)

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
and in English this means :confused:

(only leg pulling, I get the gist if not the detail)

Woodbines - a very poor quality but very popular cigarette favored by the so called working class and those far to young to smoke on account of them being cheap .
5d - about 2p
'Tanner' - 2.5 pence
'dobbers' - Condoms
shilling - 5 pence
B&B - Bread and Butter
CofT - Cup of Tea
one and a tanner - 7.5 pence
3d - 1.25 pence

...and paying for your girl friend could be misconstrued by her intimating you wanted to get serious and given that 'breach on promise' abounded one just did not want to take too many risks;);)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I earnt 30 shillings a week back in 1950,, that was £1.50 per week. my mum, took 10 shillings so that left £1 for me for the week,,I soon learnt to do repairs for those in my home town, and earnt more in one night than the whole week at work, and by 1952 I had a good business going and never looked back

djb

Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question on real world fuel economy and what you're actually getting (which is not necessarily what the trip computer states).

I know the trip computer isn't very accurate so I run a spreadsheet and always fill up, even the spreadsheet can have inaccuracies due to the pump cutting off early or the forecourt being on an angle (no OCD's here...) so it is only over a number of fill ups that I can really get an accurate reading.

Having said that my last fill up was 79 ltrs which was 708 miles at 40.74 mpg :D

Overall average 36.49 mpg

As a comparison the last fill up in the Caravelle was 84 ltrs over 388 miles at 21.00 mpg :-( Previous fill up was 86 ltrs over 425 miles at 22.47 mpg. Overall average 25.41 mpg

I know the trip computer regularly states 700 miles before next fill up but this is the first time I've actually broken the 700 mile mark before filling up. I wonder if I would get >800 miles with a remap....:confused::rolleyes:

What distance are you getting on a tankful?
Getting the thread back on track...

clk 320cdi auto

37,7 MPG (Imp)
12.271 mi and 326 Imp.gal

little town work, mainly m way dual and open roads less than 10% town milage.

because it is a running total, individual inaccuracies have been long smoothed out.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

clk 320cdi auto

37,7 MPG (Imp)
12.271 mi and 326 Imp.gal

little town work, mainly m way dual and open roads less than 10% town milage.

because it is a running total, individual inaccuracies have been long smoothed out.

This thread is headed " real world economy" and that is what we have been talking about

psmart

Reaction score
This thread is headed " real world economy" and that is what we have been talking about

This thread sounds like and Old Age home.... just like in Benjamin Button!!!! Yee Gads... where av al da uuuf gon den?????

Well, just to let all you gramps wet your beds.... Im oof to Ooostria at circa 140.... thats dem miles per die hour not da average age!!!!!

An am lookin ta get 15% saving at dat speed tooo!!!!

:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Does this saving show on your trip meter, or does it come as a bonus when you fill up,,it must make it hard at the pay pumps, as you never know how much to put in

psmart

Reaction score
Does this saving show on your trip meter, or does it come as a bonus when you fill up,,it must make it hard at the pay pumps, as you never know how much to put in
The passengers just crawl out at speed and pour the extra cans in.... so I can never tell with accuracy wether the footmap is saving 15% or its the passengers.....

Great game to play though, for the kids in the back seats to keep them occupied... wind both windows down and see who is the quickest to exit the right window and enter the left whilst flying down the motorway :twisted:

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
How boring is that? :roll:
This thread sounds like and Old Age home.... just like in Benjamin Button!!!! Yee Gads... where av al da uuuf gon den?????

Well, just to let all you gramps wet your beds.... Im oof to Ooostria at circa 140.... thats dem miles per die hour not da average age!!!!!

Your spelling is awful. Must try harder. :lol:

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
So Whitenemesis with his C270CDI is leading on the 60 ltr tank with 520 miles for 56 ltr and for the 80 ltr tank I have 708 miles for 79 ltr in my E320CDI. Any one else with higher figures? or even close ones for the petrol variants?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
So Whitenemesis with his C270CDI is leading on the 60 ltr tank with 520 miles for 56 ltr and for the 80 ltr tank I have 708 miles for 79 ltr in my E320CDI. Any one else with higher figures? or even close ones for the petrol variants?

704 miles on 76 litres (42.1 mpg). It is an 80 litre tank and I don't normally let it go that far down, but with a warm engine on the motorway you have tons of reserve when the light comes on. In this case I had 4 litres, which would have given a further 37 miles. (S320CDI).

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom