Key dead,spare key not working and car won't lock or unlock

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
I'm so sorry but I'm very clueless about these things.. Bare with me. The remote works now but if I try it in the morning it won't. If the tints allow it to work sometimes and not other times is there anything I could do? I had tints on before and didn't have this problem, I was beginning to think maybe the car tint shop did something because it was the day after that my control began to mess up. I hope someone knows what's wrong because I'm
Not looking forward to standing in the cold trying to take the metal key out of the remote and unlock the door whilst people stare at me due to the alarm going off :-( after all these years why is it doing it now? Is it the tints? If so, why is it selective with working, is it something technical? X

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the windows are tinted with a metallic film this can stop the RF locking from working, RF signals can bounce around off things and it is this possibly this could explain why it does unlock sometimes .

You have 2 locking systems on your car apart from the RF long range locking you have IR, thats infra red short range locking.

Please just go to your car and hold the remote a few inches from the drivers door handle and see if the locking works.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
When you have an electrical fault, you have to eliminate the easy to check possible causes first, the fuses have been checked but the remote control fob hasn’t as yet been checked properly.

Do ALL 3 remote buttons show a Blue/White light (not the Red light) when viewed through the screen of a digital camera? Check each button several times. A Blue/White light should be seen through the narrow end of the remote fob when each button is pressed briefly or a continuous flicker if the button is pressed continuously.

Yes there's a strong red flash when I press the fob at my phone xxx

The Red light that you mention above is a battery condition check light, it doesn’t prove that the remote is sending a Inferred (IR) signal to the receiver.

Dec
KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
The fob has been put under my phone camera and whilst I pressed the button, nothing showed.
Malcolm, I tried it and it doesn't work, but it might do tomorrow night, it's weird

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
Dec, by the way that's not the same key as mine :-/

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
If the tints Re metalised, would the shop owners need to do it again or will I need to pay to have it re done as its not my fault? Is it common for it to work sometimes if they are metalised? X

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As I said earlier RF can reflect and bounce off anything,, to prove this point stand in front of the car and try as the front screen is still clean.

If the IR is working you can see the beam in front of a camera,,this is your type of key working, keep the button pressed to see the beam

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 11

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have more than one key I can test that for you

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
It doesn't work even if I do stand in front of the windscreen, it's hit and miss. How can u check it for me? I tried it and there is no light coming out in the camera screen. The "spare" remote fob key thing doesn't work either

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
Hehe, thought I'd mention it just incase it might have a difference.. As the adverts go.. Every little helps x

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It doesn't work even if I do stand in front of the windscreen, it's hit and miss. How can u check it for me? I tried it and there is no light coming out in the camera screen. The "spare" remote fob key thing doesn't work either

I have repaired quite a few of these keys,,perhaps you could post one to me to check

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
You might try the key held very close to the rear screen, where the actual antenna is - worth a try.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Hehe, thought I'd mention it just incase it might have a difference.. As the adverts go.. Every little helps x

Every little helps does help…just to reiterate, when you look at the end of the remote via the phone screen, there is no Blue/White light when you press ANY of the buttons?

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you ever fitted new batteries into the remotes

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
Dec there is no white/blue light when buttons r pressed
Malcolm, I put brand new batteries in the key thinking that might have been the problem but it wasn't

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Send a key by insured post to me, and put a £5 note in the package,, they cost about £5.50 to send

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
That's very kind of u Malcolm but Mercedes wil have checked and diagnosed the problem by the time the key arrives to u. Thank u for offering though. My main concern right now is to sort it out ASAP.. I bet no one has come across a difficult person such as myself with the most peculiar problem ever!... Not my fault x

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Do you know a good TV repair centre close to you, if you bring the key to such a place its possible that it can be repaired within the hour, if your lucky, there is a Printed Circuit Board inside the fob which may have a broken circuit that can be repaired by a person experienced in soldering and PCBs.

Mercedes dealers wont fix remote key fobs, the will want you to buy a new one (or 2) at over £200 each, it will take several days before the new remotes arrive to you .

Dec

OP
C

Coupe-kompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Coupe kompressor
Thank u for the heads up. If I take it to a tv/electrical repair place, is there any chance they can copy a key for themselves discreetly?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom