CDI3 EGR bypass mod

C

Colorado_Al

Hi Colorado_Al, I'm here as you...;)

And yes, this circuit it is working ok in an OM648 (E320CDI) and in an OM647 (E270CDI) as well.

Sorry for Spanish language here but...:cool: It is very easy to translate it...

BR
Hey thanks! No problem with Spanish. Thanks for the link to the circuit diagram!

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
One thing to say about the switched circuit diagram, it is shown with 1x 1 way switch and 1x 2 way switch, but could be done with 2x 1 way switch - ie the PWM supply to the mod does not need to be disengaged, just switching the PWM to the EGR and the 0v to the mod shoud be enough.

C

Colorado_Al

Any idea what would happen if I plug the EGR back in for a while (say for a repair visit to the dealer) without disconnecting the bypass?

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any idea what would happen if I plug the EGR back in for a while (say for a repair visit to the dealer) without disconnecting the bypass?

I have tried this on an E220 cdi3, and it works fine with the mod and EGR valve connected.

Theoretically, the worst it could do is log a fault code, the resistors will prevent the chace of any excess current and subsequent damage.

grinich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 211026 2004
One thing to say about the switched circuit diagram, it is shown with 1x 1 way switch and 1x 2 way switch, but could be done with 2x 1 way switch - ie the PWM supply to the mod does not need to be disengaged, just switching the PWM to the EGR and the 0v to the mod shoud be enough.

I am not sure to understand what you mean... If you speak about only one switch, yes, I agree with but... the 2x 1 way switch must be 'in tandem': when 1x it is closed the other one, compulsory, is open. I don't know if this type of switch exists in the market; I know there are many relays with this and similar capabilities, but I don't know if exists a switch...(if you say this, for sure...).

BR

Last edited:
OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am not sure to understand what you mean... If you speak about only one switch, yes, I agree with but... the 2x 1 way switch must be 'in tandem': when 1x it is closed the other one, compulsory, is open. I don't know if this type of switch exists in the market; I know there are many relays with this and similar capabilities, but I don't know if exists a switch...(if you say this, for sure...).

BR

Good point Grinich, then it will have to be a 2g 2w switch.

odonnella3

Reaction score
Website
www.executivecarsofworthing.com
Your Mercedes
S Class 2005 320CDI
EGR MOD

I'm currently away and would be back next week. I can mail out the item first thing next week.

I think the fair price for me to sell the item is at US$45 taking into account my time spent :). Will include fitting instructions and a kit design (wire tap clips etc) to just plug and play.

I have checked shipment and here are the options:-

National Courier (Poslaju) - US31.25 (3-5 days)
Fedex Priority - US31.25 (2-3 days)
Fedex Economy - US$31.25 (1 week)

Frankly, I would trust Fedex more than the local couriers.

Hi mercuxio,

Do you still have enough left over to make and ship one to the U.K?

If so what is the cost including shipping?

I'd be happy to take one of your hands!!!

Cheers

Andy

John Kerr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
Hi mercuxio,

Cheers

Andy

I for one would be interested and probably a few more on here

mercuxio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E270CDI (D4) 03'
Hi mercuxio,

Cheers

Andy

You've got mail.

I've got the parts to make about 5 more.

C

Colorado_Al

Someone asked me a question on a Sprinter forum relating to this mod and a Sprinter NCV3 with OM642 engine.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167608&postcount=25
I presume that it would work, however you said earlier in this post that the OM642 has 2 MAF sensors and the circuit would need to be modified. I am guessing that this applies to OM642 in the 320 series vehicles but I think the USA NCV3 Sprinter with OM642 only has one MAF. Can anybody confirm this?
Thanks!

grinich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 211026 2004
Someone asked me a question on a Sprinter forum relating to this mod and a Sprinter NCV3 with OM642 engine.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167608&postcount=25
I presume that it would work, however you said earlier in this post that the OM642 has 2 MAF sensors and the circuit would need to be modified. I am guessing that this applies to OM642 in the 320 series vehicles but I think the USA NCV3 Sprinter with OM642 only has one MAF. Can anybody confirm this?
Thanks!

Hi Colorado_Al, where you write "320" was more precise to say "E" because we were spoken about an E280CDI (OM 642.920). In this case, we find 2 MAF in a motor with 6 cyl in V (not in L). And in this case (OM642.920, I repeat it) there are some differences more:

1.- Wires in EGR connector are 3 (=OM647 and OM648) and colors are: RDGN for 12v (pin2), BN for 0v (pin3) and GYYE = PWM (pin1). But: 12v and 0v don't go to ECU box :( Then, you probably will need make the connection for 0v and 12v close to EGR connector... and send the wires to the simulator (circuit or mod if you prefer it ;)).

2.- The MAF sensors (x2: left and right) have 4 wire each. Left connector: RDBK (pin1), BN (pin2), GN (pin3) and BU (pin4). Right connector: pin1 and pin2 as in left sensor, GNYE (pin3) and BUYE (pin4). In my opinion, the resistors and diodes must be connected to pin 4 in both connectors (but The Wiseman Alex will tell us...:lol:).

Appart of the result, would be very useful, if there are different models of vehicles, to specify the 9 first digits (3 letters + 6 digits) because there a lot of variant schemes and to pay special attention to regional codes (for example: ZU8 or 490 or... for US vehicles...;).

BR

grinich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 211026 2004
Thanks! Do all of the OM642 V6 engines have 2x MAF sensors?

I don't know. Probably yes but it depends on the other 3 digits after 642 and, as I said, we can find different systems and wires in different continents (Europe, US, Japan...) and, in some cases, regions (China...).

OM642.920 in an E280CDI (Europe) has this connections. In USA...:confused:

If you post the VIN number (at first, last 6 digits are not necessaries) and, if possible, the 6 motor digits (they are very important to know the regional and particular codes or options of the vehicle), I can try to show you the scheme. No other way to trust in an information...:cool:

BR

Last edited:
C

Colorado_Al

Thanks!
VIN is
WD0PE745285xxxxxx

By the way, where are you looking this up?

Last edited by a moderator:

grinich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 211026 2004
Ok. Now you can delete last 6 digits (they are not interesting for 'other' pourposes...).
If you have an email address... I have some files and I will send them to you...

BR

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
It's in!

It works!

not bad for about £1.50 of parts.

Thanks Alex!

Top Bottom