Advice please on parts

robfly

Event organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C63 AMG Wagon Edition 125 2011
Hello all
I still own my 2000 plate W210 E320 cdi Avantgarde , and after three years of ownership , i still think its the best car ive ever owned .
She has done over 202000 miles now , and still drives beautifully .
However , she does need a little bit of tlc to keep her going , as i do not intend to get rid of her .

I need to do a B service shortly , and i will need to change all brake discs and pads .

So my question is do i use Genuine MB parts or OEM parts ?.
Are MB filters better or can anyone recomend the manufacturers of replacement filters that are supplied to MB .

As for the brakes , i was thinking of changing my discs for ones that are either drilled or slotted , if that is the correct terminology , but am i wasting my money , and are the genuine MB discs and pads the way to go .

One last question about exhausts , i am thinking of changing my exhaust for a stainless sport or performance type , the pre-cat is looking as its getting blocked , so would need changing or i have read a thread about emptying the pre-cat and re-installing it empty . Is this recommended or not , and how much is a replacement cat , MB or OEM ?.

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Rob

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Just go on Eurocarparts put your reg in and use the forum discount you won't notice the difference except to your pocket.

OP
robfly

robfly

Event organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Frontstep
Are there any parts , that only should be replaced with MB parts

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
discs

Hello all
I still own my 2000 plate W210 E320 cdi Avantgarde , and after three years of ownership , i still think its the best car ive ever owned .
She has done over 202000 miles now , and still drives beautifully .
However , she does need a little bit of tlc to keep her going , as i do not intend to get rid of her .

I need to do a B service shortly , and i will need to change all brake discs and pads .

So my question is do i use Genuine MB parts or OEM parts ?.
Are MB filters better or can anyone recomend the manufacturers of replacement filters that are supplied to MB .

As for the brakes , i was thinking of changing my discs for ones that are either drilled or slotted , if that is the correct terminology , but am i wasting my money , and are the genuine MB discs and pads the way to go .

One last question about exhausts , i am thinking of changing my exhaust for a stainless sport or performance type , the pre-cat is looking as its getting blocked , so would need changing or i have read a thread about emptying the pre-cat and re-installing it empty . Is this recommended or not , and how much is a replacement cat , MB or OEM ?.

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Rob

No point in using drilled /slotted discs for road use for the extra spent you wont notice any difference in performance, use good branded aftermarket discs pads same goes for other service items, however it does pay to check MB prices as they are sometimes surprisingly competitive

As Frontstep, eurocarparts or their sister company carparts4less can be cheaper still for parts
With the exhaust replacement be aware of current/pending regs as regards original spec of system ie presence of, or apparent presence of DPF!!

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
What have you used in the last 3 years?

OP
robfly

robfly

Event organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have mostly used genuine parts , I have not had to change
My discs in that time . So in these times of austerity , what I'm asking ,
of all the aftermarket parts manufactures , which ones are
OEM , what ones are to be avoided .

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I'm due soon for rear discs and pads and I will use ECP, although I will try an MB dealer just as a comparison - you never know

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I used ECP for discs and pads and shoes...no need for slotted or drilled...the brakes are up to the job.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Mercedes are usually overpriced but give them a chance and take your list into them you never know, and if they have had the parts lying on their shelves they might get to a sensible price.

Top Bottom