Have a listen to my water pump---What do you think? Can this be remedied?

martin_sv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350SL R230 2003 + CLK320cdi 2006+ 156 Alfa
Hi, as per subject line. Took my serpentine belt off my r230 sl 350 (M112) to investigate a revs related whining noise. Discovered my P steering fluid was low so topped up and seems to have reduced it significantly. Thought I'd also check the tensioner /idler/alternator and water pump by spinning and listening and apart from slightly rattly idler wheel I found a definite squeak from the water pump. Can't find a way to embed my water pump.mp3 file to be playable within a browser but you can download the tiny 10 second mp3 file (No need to log in just click on "download this file" and waterpump.mp3 will apppear
here http://www.wikiupload.com/LZ753YX5KL5UG51.
Can be opened with any of your installed media players eg windows media player
It's almost comical! Remember it's not as loud as the recording---my phone mic was right next to the pulley. It still seems noisy for a seal though---it isn't some kind of venting noise by any chance?, I know pumps have a bleed hole. The bearing feels fine no roughness and no wobble on the shaft. What do you thinK?

Last edited:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
It's asking me to log in ? Why not stick it in YouTube, we can all access that.

OP
M

martin_sv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350SL R230 2003 + CLK320cdi 2006+ 156 Alfa
It's asking me to log in ? Why not stick it in YouTube, we can all access that.

Sorry about this!!. Believe me I tried everything to attempt to convert to a video format for Youtube ( all plain audio files require this). Unfortunately I didn't record a video but used the audio recorder on my phone. All back together now so can't retry. Googles answer is to use Windows movie maker to convert. Fine I thought. Fails to install twice, -- both times with an error message that links back to "windows firewall needing to be switched on"-----you've guessed it it already is!!. The online sites which claim to automate the process of uploading plain audio files also failed because google now blocks the automated use of your google log in details from unknown i.p addresses.
I thought the wiki upload serviced worked a bit like photobucket ie you can make your files public but clearly not--probably why there are plenty of views and no replies:(
If I can get the file converted ( or someone can recommend a product which will work) then I'll repost.
Thanks at least for trying:lol::lol:

PS the web is inundated with converters which work the other way round ie strip audio out of any video file, even direct form youtube.

PPS Just tried the link from my phone. It asked me to log in which I ignored and just clicking on "download this file" ( took a couple of clicks) the file downloaded fine. Perhaps worth another try.

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom