W163 ML320 Front CV boot

clankyt

Reaction score
Last year had an advisory on my outer front drive shaft cv boot so last weekend decided to have a look. After stripping away the hub and looking under the knackered boot, i hit a dead wall as to how to install the new one. The driveshaft seems have the bearing arms as part of the casting.

How do i get the new boot on? do i have to remove the whole driveshaft and remove the joint on the inboard side? Any clues will be most appreciated.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The cv joint is attached to the shaft by a spring clip. You will need to move the boot back, clean the grease away and have a good looky. A new clip will come with the replacement gaitor from mb. Make sure you really clean the top wishbone ball joints before unscrewing the nuts as they can be siezed on good and proper. A damn good soaking in lube spray as well before undoing the nuts

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
Had my car (2003 ML270 CDI) recently MOT'd at Kwik Fit. Failed on the CV boot.

They quoted me, quite low cost, (Can't remember what it was but really not enough to make me want to get my hands dirty) so I let them do it.

When I went back to pick up the car they were moaning that they had to go out and buy a 'special tool' that cost more than the cost of the job :D

I joked that he'd need to fail some more ML owners to pay for that tool - but I guess he'll just fail me next year on the other side.

Anyway, reason I'm posting is that the mention of 'Special Tool' might mean that it's not a DIY job ? (Or were the kwik fit guys telling porkies about the special tool)?

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Apart from a ball joint splitter. But i would not consider this a special tool. Kwik fit should have plenty of them !!!

OP
C

clankyt

Reaction score
The cv joint is attached to the shaft by a spring clip. You will need to move the boot back, clean the grease away and have a good looky. A new clip will come with the replacement gaitor from mb. Make sure you really clean the top wishbone ball joints before unscrewing the nuts as they can be siezed on good and proper. A damn good soaking in lube spray as well before undoing the nuts

Aha! i found a picture of that very spares kit and noticed the spring clip. wondered what that was for. Will the cv joint just 'slide' off or will a need some sort of puller to get it off the shaft?

Youre not wrong about the ball joints. Learnt that one last year doing the rear suspension arms. Ended up cutting one off, fortunately the front ones are ok and i greased them up before re-fitting the hub.

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Get it in the square ahead position and it will knock off

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
But use an appropriate hitting stick. Preferably a heavy RUBBER mallet

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom