W211 E320CDI how to change engine mounts

ROBGOSTY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 219 CLS 320
Hi all, searched till my eyes were bleeding but unable to find definitive answer, 2004 E320 CDI, straight six engine not V6, can mounts be changed by just jacking engine ? some posts say yes, some say drop exhaust others say remove rack bolts, has anyone actually done this & can tell me whats involved ?
Any help much appreciated
Rob

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
The passenger side can yes. And it's this one that takes most of the torque load.
For the drivers side there are several different ways. But not without removing components

OP
ROBGOSTY

ROBGOSTY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 219 CLS 320
The passenger side can yes. And it's this one that takes most of the torque load.
For the drivers side there are several different ways. But not without removing components
Thanks for reply, what's the easiest way of doing drivers side, will be doing on drive with car on axle stands

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Well you wouldn't want to try it my way on the drive! So you can either drop the exhaust, or remove the air box/ alternator etc

exjagman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
59 E350 cdi avantgarde luxury pack.command.ILS.Tanzanite blue beige leather
E320 CDI W211 V6 Engine Mounts Replacement

Just to let other guys who may need to change these know,
With car raised at the front and chocked etc,lower shields removed and with block and jack on sump pan to raise engine, the passenger side mounting is pretty easy to replace.
The drivers side looks near impossible from underneath with exhaust,alternator etc in the way, How we did it was to remove the air box and trunking to the front of the car then the couple of heat shields, that way the mounting is faily easy ( with a bit of jiggling ) to replace from the top.
Hope someone finds this info usefull.
BTW The symptoms I had were clonking on start up and rumbling/vibration when put into gear especially reverse when cold, and I bought Bilstein replacements(same part both sides) at £58 each

Last edited:

Bonzo Bob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 c200 AMG Coupe 2002
Hi Jagman,

I have managed to remove the air box after a bit of a struggle as I don't think it had ever been removed from new (2003).

I can now see the metal shield and supporting frame for the air box which I will remove as my next task.

What comes after this? You mention the trunking to the front of the car. Is this the rectangular air input trunking/?

Bob

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Holy thread resurrection! 8 years ago.....Best to start a new thread.

Top Bottom