2016 CLS Shooting Brake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 CLS220D Shooting Brake AMG Line
Hi all, I recently bought a 2016 CLS220dD shooting brake.The car is great to drive apart from one very annoying problem.Occasionally after stopping at road junctions or lights the gearbox switches itself into manual and I cannot reselect auto without stopping the engine and restarting it.Because I am watching the road and not the dashboard it is not noticeable until I pull away and the engine screams it's nuts off in 1st gear.I can use the box in manual as normal but not switch it to auto.I wonder if anyone else has had this happen as Mercedes are stumped, they have had it in twice now and cannot replicate the problem and nothing shows on diagnostics. Cheers

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Likely a software upgrade will sort the issue,
Welcome to the forum btw and lovely car the CLS SB

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
As above, and welcome to the forum Paul, you have a beautiful car there. Hope the issues are soon resolved and you can enjoy the beast. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the welcome guys. Forgot to mention the car has just had a B service and software upgrade so it's a real mystery. I even started to think I imagined it but it happened again the day after the service. When I talked to the Mercedes service guy about it he was looking at me like I was demented.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
How would you swap it back & forward from auto to manual anyway?
I know that I frequently end up doing the same high revs in 1st thing in my Smarts by knocking it down a gear on the flappy paddle as I approach traffic lights but then forget I'm in manual mode. Auto to manual on the flappy paddles in the ML uses a bit more electrickery though .... holding the 'up change' paddle will tell it to go back into auto.

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
Hello and welcome.

Your not inadvertently knocking the paddles are you,that will drop it into manual mode,it does on mine anyhow.

Stunning car,I would be in the same carriage if it wasn't for 2 large 4 legged friends.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Your not inadvertently knocking the paddles are you,that will drop it into manual mode,it does on mine anyhow.

It depends which paddle on my ML. If I use the down-shift paddle it'll stay in manual until I make it go into auto by holding the up-shift, if I use the up-shift though, the car will go back into auto itself a short time later. Using the 'M' button though will put it into manual permanently. (it took me a couple of weeks to work out what that button did :oops::D)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On the last occasion I pulled up at traffic lights and pressed on the brake pedal to engage hold mode.I didn't touch the steering wheel until I pulled away and my fingers were well away from the paddles. It had switched all on it's own with no input from me.No matter what I do with the paddles I can not get it to switch back to auto without turning the ignition off and restarting. I also had the malady of the gearbox switching to auto when in manual when the Tiptronic system decides that you are in the wrong gear, I questioned this with Mercedes and they told me this is normal. I would normally only use the transmission in auto so this is a real problem to me.I also have a company car so the Mercedes isn't used very often.I have booked it into Mercedes for Tuesday and they are keeping it for a couple of days.The worst sort of problem is an intermitant one so I hope they can find it. I don't know if the car has this M button as I have not come across it yet, if it has then a bad contact on this could be the cause of the problem.Thanks for your input guys, it may just trigger a couple of ideas I can throw at Mercedes.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. It might be worth posting the question in the “Engine, Drivetrain....” section in the hope that one of the technical people on here have an answer.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, It has been sugested that I post this problem on this part of the forum. I have recently bought a 2016 CLS220D Shooting Brake and have an intermittant problem with the transmission. Occasionaly with no input from me it will switch from auto to manual all on it's own. This happens when the car is at a standstill with the brake hold on. When I pull away it is in manual and whilst I can change gear up and down ok on the paddles I cannot switch it back into auto. I have to stop the car and restart it , then it is alright again.This has now happened 4 times and Mercedes could not replicate the problem and no fault came up on the diagnostics. It has just had a B service, this has occured both before and after the service.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. It might be worth posting the question in the “Engine, Drivetrain....” section in the hope that one of the technical people on here have an answer.

Thanks Steve, Just done that.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom