Headlight Vacuum Adjuster not working.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 1.8 C180K Coupe (CL203)
Hi all.
I don't know if this is on the correct forum page, I apologise if it isn't, but I'm hoping someone can help.
I have a 2006 CL203 C180k Coupe, with 'normal' halogen headlights & I have a problem with the headlight adjuster in the cockpit. The dial doesn't work & the headlights are "too low" to pass the MOT.
I've checked the purple & grey vacuum tubes & they look ok. They're attached ok at the cockpit dial & they are attached ok at the headlights themselves. I can't hear any 'hissing' noise, so can't determine if there's a vacuum leak.
Does the dial module itself fail? If so, can they be bought or repaired? I've not seen any for sale (I may be Googling the wrong item name??)
To get it through the MOT is it possible to manually adjust the lights? The dial is set at 0 (zero). I note there are two black hexagonal plastic 'bolts' on the top of the headlight unit. Both near to the centre of the unit. The higher one has what look like cog teeth on it, the lower one doesn't.
Are these the manual adjusters? If so, which one is for up & down?
I know it's a matter of trial & error, but it'd be nice to be sure which is which if possible.
Better still, to be able to make the cockpit adjuster work would be better, so if anyone can help I'd be most grateful.
There doesn't seem to be much on the forums, or on YouTube regarding this item. Any that I have found are foreign & the lights have a different layout.
Thanks in advance for any help received.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you checked for vacuum at the back of the dash control with the engine running?

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I had a problem with my 202 and I've bypassed the system. I adjusted the headlights manually (comparing beam pattern against a wall to another car) and it has passed every mot test since.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My 129 headlight adjusters stopped working last weekend. The pipe had pulled out of the manifold. Pushed it back in and all sorted. You could look for the pipe from the manifold and if connected remove it and try sucking. If there's resistance all is good with vacuum, if not you have a leak.

Top Bottom