W124 1990 250D...finally broke down after 29 years

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
Well the old girl finally did it. Coming back from the vets about 1/2 mile away from home as I was driving I heard a whistling noise which I thought was a leaf in the vent. As I got to the top of a very steep hill I heard a loud thump and the car gave up the ghost. The engine was still running but the car would go no further. The car is automatic so I put it into park but when I took my foot off of the brake the car started to roll backwards down hill. Unfortunately I could not remember where the hand brake was as I never used it in 29 years...ha ha...I had put my mobile phone in the boot with all the dogs medication...so I am stuck. I could not take my foot off of the brake to get out and get my phone...soooo....I frantically waved out of the window beckoning for help...ignored by most people...then one kind man stopped and I explained my situation. He got me to roll back into the curb and then got out my spare wheel and wedged it on the other back tyre. He then retrieved my phone from the boot and refused to leave me until I had got in touch with my local garage to come out to me. Sorry this is long winded..but I am stressed. The man then asked me if my husband was at home...firstly I thought....hello ... I am in luck here..but alas he was only concerned with my wellbeing....I said no my husband is in the local pub. This very kind gentleman went to the pub to tell Brian what had happened. First of all the garage thought it was the gearbox..Brian thought it could be the gearbox or the driveshaft. It turns out it is the driveshaft...new part should be in on Tuesday. Now I am going on about this because I was already having a bad time...vet visits nearly every week since November...animal hospital as well, pet insurance not paying out because they say my dog has had this infection before...so far we have spent £4,000 and it is still ongoing. My bank where I had a platinum account which included my AA membership decided they are going to start charging me £21 a month for this account...so I had just changed my account and opened a new account with the AA which doesn’t start until 2 February so I couldn’t ring them when I broke down. Are you still with me...or have you gone to watch some paint dry....Luckily we have a very good local garage..as Brian is too old and not in good health to fix it. That’s all the bad luck...the good luck..euro car parts are clearing their shelves of 124 parts and Brian has bought 2 driveshafts for £60. So that is my story...and don’t forget to check with your wives to make sure they know where the hand brake is.
Very sad this is the first time in 29 years that this car has let us down as Brian has always maintained it and changed parts when the car has done a certain mileage. Hopefully when fixed the old,girl will see us out....I love her so much.
Thanks for reading this...xxxx

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Feel your pain, especially with the vet bills.
Sounds like you were hit with a perfect storm but things will work themselves out.
At least a broken driveshaft is pretty minor.

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hope you get it on the road soon :)

£4000 :eek::eek::eek::eek: how much?

have you remembered where the hand/parking brake is yet? ;);)
Ha ha...cracked Brian up...my hand brake is on the floor apparently...on the left of my foot brake...that’s what fooled me xxx

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Gosh what a lot of things going on there Lizzie, I'm glad someone helped you and I hope you get it all sorted. Our car doesn't have a manual handbrake so I'd be clueless how to cope in a situation like yours, nor does it have a spare tyre :eek::eek::eek:

Totally understand about the vet's bill. We've had similar things with Daisy, must have spent over 4k on her eye surgery and follow up treatment in the last year and a half and don't see any end to it :confused:

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
29 years without a breakdown is fantastic. Well maintained you two.
I bet you had cover for all of those 29 years as well.... S@ds Law.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
That’s all the bad luck...the good luck..euro car parts are clearing their shelves of 124 parts and Brian has bought 2 driveshafts for £60. So that is my story...and don’t forget to check with your wives to make sure they know where the hand brake is.
Very sad this is the first time in 29 years that this car has let us down as Brian has always maintained it and changed parts when the car has done a certain mileage. Hopefully when fixed the old,girl will see us out....I love her so much.
Thanks for reading this...xxxx

Are you sure you will still have her in another 29 years when you will need the second drive shaft?

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gosh what a lot of things going on there Lizzie, I'm glad someone helped you and I hope you get it all sorted. Our car doesn't have a manual handbrake so I'd be clueless how to cope in a situation like yours, nor does it have a spare tyre :eek::eek::eek:

Totally understand about the vet's bill. We've had similar things with Daisy, must have spent over 4k on her eye surgery and follow up treatment in the last year and a half and don't see any end to it :confused:
Thanks Lynn..yes vet bills just keep going up...animal hospital alone cost £1,600. Still I am not worried because if I run out of money I will start selling Brian’s clothes xxx

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
29 years without a breakdown is fantastic. Well maintained you two.
I bet you had cover for all of those 29 years as well.... S@ds Law.
Yes always made sure we were covered xxx

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you sure you will still have her in another 29 years when you will need the second drive shaft?

well Brian has ordered 2 driveshafts but I would think my driving days may be over in 29 years time....that is if I am still here...I do hope my lovely car will still be here so someone else can keep her looking good xxx

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
DizzyLizzy About right for 29 years mine would not start last year after its winter lay off . First time in 30 years and that was only the alarm immobiliser fault and not mechanical ./ Love the dog by the way i can see why you went and paid so much to get the dog right ... i love dogs

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
6AE61AB9-6FC1-43A3-9DA0-22E98D2507CF.jpeg 6E380FE1-0CB3-4B79-B640-5B5376210D5F.jpeg
DizzyLizzy About right for 29 years mine would not start last year after its winter lay off . First time in 30 years and that was only the alarm immobiliser fault and not mechanical ./ Love the dog by the way i can see why you went and paid so much to get the dog right ... i love dogs

thank you....the pic on my profile is my late GSD...I have at present got 2 Tibetan Terriers...called holy dogs...

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I feel fer yer lass,
all that hope and he just wanted to help.

Can I show this to Larisa the next time she says where is the oojah?
Can I show this to Larisa the next time she says she wants a dog?

She still misses her chihuahua that was left behind in Russia, it got pawly and sniffed it shortly after though.
But previously while I was in Russia the bl**dy jealous thing bit me nose. Larisa used what they call 'green' as an antiseptic. Appropriately named as I spent over a week in Tver and Moscow with a moldy looking stained nose.
She lived on the 6th floor and I kept thinking about the scene from Something About Mary.

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I feel fer yer lass,
all that hope and he just wanted to help.

Can I show this to Larisa the next time she says where is the oojah?
Can I show this to Larisa the next time she says she wants a dog?

She still misses her chihuahua that was left behind in Russia, it got pawly and sniffed it shortly after though.
But previously while I was in Russia the bl**dy jealous thing bit me nose. Larisa used what they call 'green' as an antiseptic. Appropriately named as I spent over a week in Tver and Moscow with a moldy looking stained nose.
She lived on the 6th floor and I kept thinking about the scene from Something About Mary.

ha ha ha... xxxx....I think,I should have got a,budgie instead of a dog...much cheeeeper...and maybe could have got one on higher perchess....sorry feeble joke xxxxx

Top Bottom