W124 1990 250D...finally broke down after 29 years

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
What sort of mileage did you get out of the drive shafts? I've been told by a garage the boots on the driveshafts on my 32 yr old 300D are ripped so they're letting in crud but that the driveshafts are so strong there is no point in replacing them just yet and should go on a fair few years/until they make more noise.

To be fair at not far off 300k miles it probably deserves some but although mine does 20k miles pa and also never breaksdown it is noweher near as nicely kept as yours so no point just throwing parts at anything that isn't 100% or I'd end up replacing the whole car...

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Ours is on 300,000, so about 10,000 a year.Checked under neath last summer before the M.O.T.rubber boots looked good, no noise.It had snapped at the end of rubber boot.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ours is on 300,000, so about 10,000 a year.Checked under neath last summer before the M.O.T.rubber boots looked good, no noise.It had snapped at the end of rubber boot.

thanks, so it wasn't the actual CV joint itself just the solid metal shaft part. I'd have thought that the CV joint was by far the weakest point but maybe that's why my mechanic said not to worry about the split boots...

You are lucky being able to get them for 60 pounds each - here a non pattern part is 180€ each and dealer closer to 900€ each (just part no labour). And I'm guessing it's a few hours labour each side to fit...

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
ha ha ha... xxxx....I think,I should have got a,budgie instead of a dog...much cheeeeper...and maybe could have got one on higher perchess....sorry feeble joke xxxxx

Lovely dogs you have Lizzie, we have a friend who has a Tibetan Terrier, he is a law unto himself :D

I agree a bird would be much cheaper but not so much fun. We have a parrot and a chicken and the parrot started off as a very cute and cuddly bird who just loved to nuzzle into your neck, now at the age of nearly 15 he is more likely wanting to gouge your eyes out. Our chicken is nearly 10yrs old and is our last one, we won't be getting any more as they are quite hard work and quite a tie too o_O

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Got the two drive shafts today 59.00 for the two. Will let the garage fit them as that is where the car was taken to, and I am not in good health, but would not fancy doing the job outside this weather. Will it cost an arm and a leg.First time I have had a car repaired in a garage, I am 77 so have saved some money there.

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
DizzyLizzy About right for 29 years mine would not start last year after its winter lay off . First time in 30 years and that was only the alarm immobiliser fault and not mechanical ./ Love the dog by the way i can see why you went and paid so much to get the dog right ... i love dogs

It is an ear infection ..started off with just washing out and then it went deeper. There was something right down in the lower part of the ear that the vet could not get to...they sedated him and tried to flush the ear. He had to go to the animal hospital for them to,go into his ear with special tools to clear the ear. The infection got so bad . Every time I cleaned his ear there was black stuff coming out. They tried 2 types of anti biotics to clear the infection...I am now on a third strength of antibiotic. We have been visiting the vet nearly every week for them to check it since November. The ear was also ulcerated. They think it may have been caused by a food allergy. He is now on special food for 8 weeks to see if it makes any difference. I am a bit sceptical as to whether it is an allergy. They also said there was a build up of hard wax in his ear, so I am also using something to put in his ear to soften any hard wax that might be there. Fingers crossed at the moment the black has turned to,light brown but his ear looks really red and sore. Probably because of everything I have to,put into his ear twice a day. Hoping it works xxx

OP
dizzy lizzy

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
Lovely dogs you have Lizzie, we have a friend who has a Tibetan Terrier, he is a law unto himself :D

I agree a bird would be much cheaper but not so much fun. We have a parrot and a chicken and the parrot started off as a very cute and cuddly bird who just loved to nuzzle into your neck, now at the age of nearly 15 he is more likely wanting to gouge your eyes out. Our chicken is nearly 10yrs old and is our last one, we won't be getting any more as they are quite hard work and quite a tie too o_O

They are lovely dogs...a bit stubborn at times...I have a parrot...called Brian xxx

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Bet he still loves to nuzzle into your neck Lizzie!!:eek::eek::D:D

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
So if any one on here has a 124 with boot damage to the drive shafts.Buy like I have 25.00 each from euro parts clearing there shelves, you must collect though.Dearer to buy them on line with postage. Easier and quicker to fit than changing the boots at that price.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Well the old girl finally did it. Coming back from the vets about 1/2 mile away from home as I was driving I heard a whistling noise which I thought was a leaf in the vent. As I got to the top of a very steep hill I heard a loud thump and the car gave up the ghost. The engine was still running but the car would go no further. The car is automatic so I put it into park but when I took my foot off of the brake the car started to roll backwards down hill. Unfortunately I could not remember where the hand brake was as I never used it in 29 years...ha ha...I had put my mobile phone in the boot with all the dogs medication...so I am stuck. I could not take my foot off of the brake to get out and get my phone...soooo....I frantically waved out of the window beckoning for help...ignored by most people...then one kind man stopped and I explained my situation. He got me to roll back into the curb and then got out my spare wheel and wedged it on the other back tyre. He then retrieved my phone from the boot and refused to leave me until I had got in touch with my local garage to come out to me. Sorry this is long winded..but I am stressed. The man then asked me if my husband was at home...firstly I thought....hello ... I am in luck here..but alas he was only concerned with my wellbeing....I said no my husband is in the local pub. This very kind gentleman went to the pub to tell Brian what had happened. First of all the garage thought it was the gearbox..Brian thought it could be the gearbox or the driveshaft. It turns out it is the driveshaft...new part should be in on Tuesday. Now I am going on about this because I was already having a bad time...vet visits nearly every week since November...animal hospital as well, pet insurance not paying out because they say my dog has had this infection before...so far we have spent £4,000 and it is still ongoing. My bank where I had a platinum account which included my AA membership decided they are going to start charging me £21 a month for this account...so I had just changed my account and opened a new account with the AA which doesn’t start until 2 February so I couldn’t ring them when I broke down. Are you still with me...or have you gone to watch some paint dry....Luckily we have a very good local garage..as Brian is too old and not in good health to fix it. That’s all the bad luck...the good luck..euro car parts are clearing their shelves of 124 parts and Brian has bought 2 driveshafts for £60. So that is my story...and don’t forget to check with your wives to make sure they know where the hand brake is.
Very sad this is the first time in 29 years that this car has let us down as Brian has always maintained it and changed parts when the car has done a certain mileage. Hopefully when fixed the old,girl will see us out....I love her so much.
Thanks for reading this...xxxx

After only 29 years??? Did not even reach the 30 year mark....!!! More proof ( if more was needed !!) that they are just not making them like they used to, and from Mercedes Benz too, unbelievable !!

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So if any one on here has a 124 with boot damage to the drive shafts.Buy like I have 25.00 each from euro parts clearing there shelves, you must collect though.Dearer to buy them on line with postage. Easier and quicker to fit than changing the boots at that price.

Thanks for the info, If I lived in the UK I would get them tomorrow if not just to chuck them in the boot and have them if it did breakdown so it could be fixed quicker...unfortunately not but will have a look on ECP again next time I'm over in the UK.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
thats what this forum is all about, not only fixing peoples cars, but people as well.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom