E270 cdi Thermostat Genuine v Pattern

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 cdi Estate (Called Helga)
Morning all,
Just been on a 40 mile round trip in my 2005 E270 Estate W211, I notice the engine temp barely gets above 60C, in my memory I'm pretty sure they are supposed to run around 90C, so take it my thermostat is goosed?

My question is does it have to be a genuine replacement or will the pattern ones last well enough, had a look on Youtube and it looks an easy enough job and what will I gain from swapping it, better mpg?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Go for a genuine one, they come with all the right bits for fitting that OEM somehow often don’t. I had both, the oem failed after 18 months and the replacement original lasted 4 years until I sold the car, I’d expect it’s still on the same now if I could find the owner

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Go for a genuine one, they come with all the right bits for fitting that OEM somehow often don’t. I had both, the oem failed after 18 months and the replacement original lasted 4 years until I sold the car, I’d expect it’s still on the same now if I could find the owner
Thanks for your reply V6Matty, I am suprised at how pattern versus genuine Mercedes prices stack up, I need a new drivers door lock actuator, its not the usual broken spring just worn out, had a look online and found some very cheap looking I suspect Chinese copies doing the rounds at around £95, email the Mercedes Ebay store of Edinburgh Mercedes and a genuine one is £138 so its a no brainer I will buy a genuine replacement once I get my key fixed, so will try them for the thermostat.
Cheers
Geoff

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Unfortunately stats seem to have become almost a consumable mine lasted 6 years and 60k miles on the 212. Certainly replace asap on DPF cars and with a genuine part

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately stats seem to have become almost a consumable mine lasted 6 years and 60k miles on the 212. Certainly replace asap on DPF cars and with a genuine part
Dont think mine has a dpf but think genuine is what i will buy, do have a chance of a Mahle one and know their stuff is good wonder who was the original supplier of the thermostats?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
You’ll have an EGR but no DPF, thankfully they came in to force after the 270 engine was dropped from the lineup, though dropping the 270 isn’t what I would call thankfully, it was a brilliant engine

Yes as V6Matty yours doesn’t have a DPF and the IL5 has turned out to be one of MBs best diesels for power, economy and reliability. The DPF comment was an aside really for all those reading the thread with EU5/6 engines

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You’ll have an EGR but no DPF, thankfully they came in to force after the 270 engine was dropped from the lineup, though dropping the 270 isn’t what I would call thankfully, it was a brilliant engine
Yep have had 2 x ML270 both brilliant and now this E270, got brave the other day and took off the engine cover looking for any sign of Black Death, but its immaculate so one job I was expecting to have done don't need to be done, one of the ML's had a box with Brabus on it, not sure if it was a plug in tuning box but it did seem to pull a lot better than my previous ML with no box, had some big fancy wheels on it as well, it really looked good, not sure why I let that one go?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My rule of thumb on stats is the more difficult it is to do the bigger the reason to use genuine.
If I don't use genuine I tend to go for decent brands like Gates.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for your reply V6Matty, I am suprised at how pattern versus genuine Mercedes prices stack up, I need a new drivers door lock actuator, its not the usual broken spring just worn out, had a look online and found some very cheap looking I suspect Chinese copies doing the rounds at around £95, email the Mercedes Ebay store of Edinburgh Mercedes and a genuine one is £138 so its a no brainer I will buy a genuine replacement once I get my key fixed, so will try them for the thermostat.
Cheers
Geoff
If you give Mercedes Grangemouth a call and tell them you’re a member here they give discount :)

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
If you take out the stat from the housing you'll see who makes them. Lol it ain't mb.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The one on my CLK270CDI failed at 115K miles a week before I part exchanged it, so just left it.
The one before was on my wife's mini back in 1984, it was only 30 months old.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
The one on my CLK270CDI failed at 115K miles a week before I part exchanged it, so just left it.
The one before was on my wife's mini back in 1984, it was only 30 months old.

Same age as me :)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep have had 2 x ML270 both brilliant and now this E270, got brave the other day and took off the engine cover looking for any sign of Black Death, but its immaculate so one job I was expecting to have done don't need to be done, one of the ML's had a box with Brabus on it, not sure if it was a plug in tuning box but it did seem to pull a lot better than my previous ML with no box, had some big fancy wheels on it as well, it really looked good, not sure why I let that one go?
The ML had the OM612 where as the 211 had an OM647, the 647 was essentially the 612 with all the issues sorted including Black Death problems,
The brabus box would have been a tuning box, took the car from 158bhp to around 200bhp I think, The 647 started at 177 and I had mine mapped to 225 on a relatively safe map and could be pushed further if you wanted to

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
When I changed mine for a Whaler off the bay. They were identical. both had Whaler stamped on them. Only difference was the number on the original was missing on the new one. I didn't go for the cheapest, but made sure I got new seals. Been in for nearly 1000 miles now, good as gold.

Last edited:
OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ML had the OM612 where as the 211 had an OM647, the 647 was essentially the 612 with all the issues sorted including Black Death problems,
The brabus box would have been a tuning box, took the car from 158bhp to around 200bhp I think, The 647 started at 177 and I had mine mapped to 225 on a relatively safe map and could be pushed further if you wanted to
Great info that V6Matty, I never knew that, so glad I got the more sorted engine and think mine is 177bhp from standard, I would be tempted by a re map but with 157k I would hope not to stress the gearbox etc to much, but would like better fuel economy rather than loads of power, I must be getting old or done all my mad thrashing around when I used to race Motorbikes, ah them were the days, only downside was the Arthritus pain I'm suffering now due to to many crashes but miss the racing, I'm nearly fat enough to buy a harley now:D:D:D

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great info that V6Matty, I never knew that, so glad I got the more sorted engine and think mine is 177bhp from standard, I would be tempted by a re map but with 157k I would hope not to stress the gearbox etc to much, but would like better fuel economy rather than loads of power, I must be getting old or done all my mad thrashing around when I used to race Motorbikes, ah them were the days, only downside was the Arthritus pain I'm suffering now due to to many crashes but miss the racing, I'm nearly fat enough to buy a harley now:D:D:D
I sold mine at around 160k miles and no sign that the map had made any difference in its longevity, it also didn’t affect the MPG on my fill to fill calculations so I’d say go for it :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom