Afternoon all - I need some sage advice

BurninghM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 220d mag estate
Hope I’ve come to the right place!

I bought a 2018 220d c class estate in July for work.
Generally it’s a great car - but I’ve had so much trouble with one aspect - the sat Nav.

it’s been back to the merc garage where I bought it 8 times for a fix - the software has been reloaded several times, and now had a new ‘head’ installed (whatever that is)
My question is has anyone else experienced the same issue I have? The garage have no idea how to fix it!

the issue is that I have two phones - a personal iPhone 10 and a work iPhone 8. When I plug these into the usb connections in the centre storage compartment next to the sd card, the sat Nav keeps switching off and telling me there is no sd cars loaded. Occasionally the screen goes completely blank and then I get a load of horizontal lines for several minutes before the whole thing switches off.

the only way to keep it working is not to plug the phones in and only play media via Bluetooth - but this then doesn’t allow me to charge either phone or have full functions available on the media player.

trouble is I spend most of my work time on the road in the middle of nowhere - I need the sat Nav!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

I occasionally had the SD card dislodge itself on my E220d, popped it back in and no issues.
I always charged my iPhone through the 12v socket not the USB - is yours trying to start Apple Car-Play?

OP
B

BurninghM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 220d mag estate
Hello and welcome,

I occasionally had the SD card dislodge itself on my E220d, popped it back in and no issues.
I always charged my iPhone through the 12v socket not the USB - is yours trying to start Apple Car-Play?

I don’t think it does car play to be honest. ive tried removing and reloading the sd card on many occasions - nothing changes

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Try a double USB 12v socket, to change both phones? Don't you have 2 USB ports, one to charge & one for media?
The wife has a SLC250d 2016 with Apple Play, & MB's sat nav with a SD card. I use my iPhone with Apple Play on Waze for navigation, that occasionally gets confused partially if I want to play the CD as well. I have found the answer is to control everything from Apple Play, then it all works.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
its still in warranty....

the set up is actually simple and certainly not beyond the means of a main dealer to replace broken components and load the right software

eight times is ridiculous... one time at the right dealership, go find a competent one

OP
B

BurninghM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 220d mag estate
Try a double USB 12v socket, to change both phones? Don't you have 2 USB ports, one to charge & one for media?
The wife has a SLC250d 2016 with Apple Play, & MB's sat nav with a SD card. I use my iPhone with Apple Play on Waze for navigation, that occasionally gets confused partially if I want to play the CD as well. I have found the answer is to control everything from Apple Play, then it all works.
I don’t think the car is enabled with Apple car play - I might suggest to them that they add it for me foc - do you think they would answer the issues?

OP
B

BurninghM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 220d mag estate
its still in warranty....

the set up is actually simple and certainly not beyond the means of a main dealer to replace broken components and load the right software

eight times is ridiculous... one time at the right dealership, go find a competent one
Bought it as a merc approved used car
From main dealer in oxford - I’d have thought they would know how to get it sorted, but they seem baffled.
I think it might be something as silly as a short or dry joint - when the sat Nav goes off so do the usb sockets.

OP
B

BurninghM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 220d mag estate
What are you riding on the profile pic sonic ? Can’t quite make it out

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
contact customer services explain the 8 visits, the fact they've have made no progress and ask them where you can now take it ...so a COMPETANT dealership can work on it, not the halfwit time wasting bunch of jokers in Oxford

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
What are you riding on the profile pic sonic ? Can’t quite make it out
Yamaha FJR1300, a brilliant bike. Touring holiday in the Picos mountains Spain 2 years ago.

OP
B

BurninghM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 220d mag estate
Yamaha FJR1300, a brilliant bike. Touring holiday in the Picos mountains Spain 2 years ago.

ah cool - I’m on an MT10

OP
B

BurninghM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 220d mag estate
contact customer services explain the 8 visits, the fact they've have made no progress and ask them where you can now take it ...so a COMPETANT dealership can work on it, not the halfwit time wasting bunch of jokers in Oxford

i understand the half wit comment - their customer service skills are not what I expect from a premium brand to say the least

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Wots new..go find a decent dealer.its for them to get a proper benz man at it not you to run around the world.perhaps they should agree for u to take it to command and have them pick up the bill ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the world moved... you have two classes of Merc dealer now

the one at Beaconsfield, competent and used to dealing with billionaires who want to buy 140k trinkets daily for another mistress they found. Or the ones that hand out lease cars to sales reps. Sounds like the Oxford one is the latter

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Agree to above. Sadly you have to merc dealers now for customer service.
They are driven only by sales and thrn its just bla bla false service till you part with the cash.
When I got my w124 years ago brand new merc customer service was out of this world. I have seen it deteriote over the years.
They have these huge showrooms with robots of people who know nothing. Get the mechanics out to the front and it will be much better.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
Agree to above. Sadly you have to merc dealers now for customer service.
They are driven only by sales and thrn its just bla bla false service till you part with the cash.
When I got my w124 years ago brand new merc customer service was out of this world. I have seen it deteriote over the years.
They have these huge showrooms with robots of people who know nothing. Get the mechanics out to the front and it will be much better.

Mechanics and Showrooms is a contradiction in terms !

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
the world moved... you have two classes of Merc dealer now

the one at Beaconsfield, competent and used to dealing with billionaires who want to buy 140k trinkets daily for another mistress they found. Or the ones that hand out lease cars to sales reps. Sounds like the Oxford one is the latter
:D

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Ur only in charge today till the moment u hand over the cheque. Now we are getting to pay for cars and take delivery without sales staff, the dealers must be rubbing their hands !! Collect the cash and evade all dealing with the dreaded customers,perfect !! For them..
Decent Customer service is rare today, on the rare occasions I find it, I generally stick with it..

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom