UK to Spain lighting question

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Quite often need to change rear lights too if the fog light is integrated into rail lights.
U.K. standard is fog light on right, Europe is fog light on left.
A cheaper alternative is to disable factory fog light and fit a separate one in the appropriate place.
Not always, it’s quite common for cars to have rear foglamp fixed on the left side now with reverse fixed on the right. Saves on tooling cost.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Interesting, both mine are factory fog, uk cars. Yet CT, reg no issue, so far...
The last time the tester said to me you may want to change the bulb to the other side or fit two but it wasn't noted on the CT.
Of course it doesn't turn out to be that simple as although the other tail light unit has the place for a bulb it has no contacts in place and the circuit is electronically controlled. I'll run a cable across the back and solder in some contacts but I don't think the circuit will allow two bulbs.
Affaire à suivre.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I believe @d215yq is based in Spain, he might know for sure.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I believe @d215yq is based in Spain, he might know for sure.

I've not registered a UK car though did briefly look into it a while ago. The car will need to pass an "itv" (mot) as part of the registration process where they will not test the actual lights fitted but just the beam pattern does not dazzle. It would probably pass with an advisory if it doesn't dazzle but isn't correctly/fully lighting up the right side as mine has passed before with an advisory to adjust, and when I did this it was way out and made a huge difference.

To be sure I'd first check 1) is there any other technical inspection needed other than a normal "itv" as I'm not 100 percent on this but think there isnt and 2) if it is just a normal "itv" then any garage that does "pre itv" will be able to check the lighting for a few euros and tell you if it would pass or fail.

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
U may be lucky .the french look for the compliance markings on the lights and a dealer report must confirm they comply

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom