Urgent Water drain problem

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c200 estate Aventgarde
Hi

I have just had a battery/alternator visit workshop warning. This was followed by ‘everything’ - temperature reading mad readings - 16, parking brake on warning when is wasn’t, headlights flashing high beam and would not switch off when ignition off and many others.

I checked under the bonnet and a problem I thought I had cured by unblocking the windscreen drains has reoccured - the battery compartment and brake cylinder compartment are filling up with water. There must be drain holes for these? If so, where are they please?

Thanks

regarding all the lights - is it something broken or will it be ok when dried out?

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
DCB2E48E-BB9D-4502-B360-E4BED4F12B95.jpeg

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, Same on the other side? Better to clear from wheel arch or bonnet?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
These problems are usually associated with a kerknackered SAM. It can also be water getting to SAM components and confusing the SAM, I had a screen allowing water to the multi function light switch, similar results

If water has got to SAM, it may dry out, but unlikely.
Of that age of car I wouldn't expect the SAM to be coded, so one from eBay, if identical i.d. should get you right again. Problem there is the unknown state of replacement, but it can be returned.

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok, thanks.

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Trying to dry it all out now. Is there a drain on the other side the same as this? 09BBA687-2585-406E-A552-83E8B687FF99.jpeg

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2B7DC614-F2B3-4450-B2A7-D05EF5338176.jpeg Can anybody tell me why there is a rubber bung at the lowest point of the battery compartment? I took it out and of course the water drained immediately!
C019C453-E486-4A5E-B5DD-A1F641845DE5.jpeg

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anybody help with whether or not there is a drain on the Sam side?

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there a version of the program Mercedes have for parts - the big exploded diagram? I need to sort the drain/water egress problems out because it rains constantly here and even if this Sam is not fried if it keeps filling with water it will end up fried!

The vents on the top of the bonnet are just open and I don’t think they should be. Any water that drains from the Sam cover just ends up filling that side, which cannot be right, either.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I would expect there to be drains at each side below the wiper scuttle plate, these would run into the wheel arches behind the liners. With the scuttle plate lifted these could be rodded with some non sharp wire.
I would also expect there to be fitted rubber rainwater guides below the scuttle plate to direct the rain water toward those drains.
Rubbers top side should direct water to the side gutters.

Really you need to attend an MB parts dept to see their drawings as they search for these parts if not present. My experience is that even if these parts are available on eBey, MB will be cheaper.

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, that is a help. Looks like just one drain plug.....mad design, amazed it has worked up until now.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Can anybody tell me why there is a rubber bung at the lowest point of the battery compartment? I took it out and of course the water drained immediately!

It is probably a one way valve rather than a bung - works a bit like a heart valve and should let water drain but stop crap coming back the other way. As they age and the rubber hardens, they become less effective and may also get clogged or stuck and act like a bung.

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is probably a one way valve rather than a bung - works a bit like a heart valve and should let water drain but stop crap coming back the other way. As they age and the rubber hardens, they become less effective and may also get clogged or stuck and act like a bung.

The big drain(top picture) looks like that but
are the small bungs that are either side at the lowest point also one way valves? I cleaned one up(bottom picture) but could not find any way of getting water through.

Last edited:

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Plastic coated net curtain wire can be brilliant for “rodding” drains, flexible, slinky, yet strong enough to push built up gunk out.

OP
machone

machone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve cleaned all the rubber tubes(3 I think) from below the windscreen. Also the big rubber bung shown in the top picture(it was clogged). It’s a LHD so the sam unit is on the lhs and that keeps filling with water and I think it is why the Sam is fried. I think I see a small bung there, as the bottom picture, but these are just bungs I think. It’s all worked for 18yrs so something must have changed but I haven’t been able to stop the Sam side filling with water. Doesn’t help it hasn’t stopped raining for a week here(NorwY) but hopefully today I will take the Sam unit out and have a look underneath to see if there holes blocked there. Is there any harm leaving these small bungs out?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom