Search results

1. rich.g.williams

R129 Gearbox Issue

Explanation of OBD-II diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) Before DTCs became commonplace, diagnosing issues could be time-consuming. With OBD-II, vehicles can basically monitor themselves and alert drivers to potential problems using indicator lights. These indicator lights identify things like...
  2. rich.g.williams

R129 Gearbox Issue

That was the old system where dedicated controllers such as the EGS52 Transmission Control Module used a single wire to communicate diagnostic information and this single wire was piped along (from main electronic controllers) to the round 38 pin connector. As this was going on firmware...
  3. rich.g.williams

C220 SPORT AUTO GEAR PROBLEMS

Ah OK 9G that's well above my pay grade unfortunately and being honest I don't even know much about 7G - just know that both 7G and 9G are superb. One of my main worries about going for an electric car is never wanting to be without my excellent 722.6 5G transmission.
  4. rich.g.williams

C220 SPORT AUTO GEAR PROBLEMS

I'm not sure if you are talking about a manual gearbox or an automatic transmission? Which box is it specifically, how many gears, model etc?
  5. rich.g.williams

C250 AUTO ENGINE/GEARBOX PROBLEMS

Reject the car ASAP. Taking it to a main Mercedes dealership for a full formal assessment as to what ails the car may help you reject it.
  6. rich.g.williams

C class, S204, 200CDI manual - how to know when clutch is ready for replacement?

Hi there, the classic symptom of a worn clutch is slipping when you are cruising along a good road in a high gear and you want to accelerate (maybe to overtake) as you accelerate you notice the engine speed (rpm) spiking up rather than the car going faster - if this is happening you will notice...
  7. rich.g.williams

R129 Gearbox Issue

To be more correct the OBDII connector is the rectangular 16 pin connector. The 38 pin connector is round, in the engine compartment and can also be OBDII. 1999, 2000, 2001 is when Mercedes were switching from the 38 pin to the 16 pin so most likely both are there. My 16 pin OBDII code...
  8. rich.g.williams

R129 Gearbox Issue

Brendan yes I agree with what JT Automatics told you. That it is likely the Conductor Plate (easily accessible and has the speed sensors on it), also possibly the electrical wiring associated with the transmission or the electrical solenoids not a major mechanical failure. I can't say if JT...
  9. rich.g.williams

R129 Gearbox Issue

The likely 722.6 transmission fault codes are passed to and included in the OBDII specification and I have seen them myself so yes any straightforward OBDII code reader will read the 722.6 transmission codes. As I was saying "any code reader will read the codes likely affecting your...
  10. rich.g.williams

Automatic transmission oil change

Its not easy owning a good Mercedes car. Successfully keeping one on the road for years says a lot about the abilities and character of the owner - my opinion only probably. I do what maintenance I can myself and hunt round for parts - its not been expensive. As regards ATF, I bought a 25...
  11. rich.g.williams

R129 Gearbox Issue

Any code reader will read the codes likely affecting your transmission. Plenty on eBay for a few pounds, 38 pin connector under the steering wheel
  12. rich.g.williams

W210 E280 in limp mode but code wont clear after repair?

Suggest you test at location where the TCU is, and looking into unplugged connectors N15/3. Do everything Ignition Off. Suggest you only do these tests from the STAR Tekinfo link you gave as follows:- Table above gives the pins on N15/3 the last test is two tests one in R/D one in P/N...
  13. rich.g.williams

The STAR TekInfo link is interesting, I had not seen that info before, it predates use of 722.6 in my car W203 but still useful stuff on there thanks. Some of the diagnostics tables symptom v suggested cause are a bit OTT wild with heavy focus on ATF level!
  14. rich.g.williams

R129 Gearbox Issue

I found this on the net "1999 Mercedes Benz SL320 is a great example of the R129 model..... Its 3.2-litre V6 engine produces around 221bhp, and is coupled to a five-speed automatic transmission" As a 1999 V6 it most likely has a five speed 722.6 transmission. Well as I said if you have only...
  15. rich.g.williams

My mercedes w203 loses power

it may be something else whistling and not the turbo, alternator is good at whistling/whining if it has a problem
  16. rich.g.williams

All the solenoids are lower than ten Ohms each. As long as solenoid is not short circuit or open circuit they are likely to be ok. There are accurate resistance figures for each solenoid type (six solenoids three types) but they are most likely to be open circuit or ok. A shorted turn in a...
  17. rich.g.williams

Clearing the generic ECU code is easy but what's more difficult is to clear the TCU code in the TCU, if this is not cleared the ECU will likely come back.
  18. rich.g.williams

ATF fluid in the plug is no problem - resistance of ATF is high whereas resistance of solenoids is very low (few Ohms). Worth remembering that the entire Conductor Plate and all its brass conductor tracks are immersed in ATF. Even if the ATF pipes all the way inside the TCU still does not cause...
  19. rich.g.williams

Yes your TCU would have bricked itself if there was a wiring/solenoid problem (see my post on your other thread). TCM Numbers explained thread Pin 29 on TCU is Battery positive into TCU, Pin 38 is Battery positive (switched by TCU) out to solenoids, Pin 30 is Battery negative into TCU, Pin 33...
  20. rich.g.williams

Serial numbers on TCM explained

Hi, having exactly the same part number is not enough as the same part number is used for different models (and there are a few part numbers). What's important is that the replacement has the same part number and comes from exactly the same model car, for example my car a 2003 C200 Kompressor...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom