Search results

1. R

Wheel change gear.

Some reckon the best tool they carry for a wheel change is Breakdown Recovery Insurance! As a first response an aerosol can of Holts Tyreweld (apparently washes out ie not gungy) could quickly get you out of a dangerous situation and let you deal with the wheel/tyre somewhere in safety. Some...
  2. R

Rant

The driver may be thinking of your health, that 2m gap may be saving you from inhaling the stinking exhaust fumes of his/her +200g/km unserviced SUV.:eek:
  3. R

replacing a 307d with a more powerful engine

Daresay you are already aware of this hence just the engine change query, but just in case tempted; I've known of a few 207d owners resorting to a bolt on turbo, albeit a low pressure version. I'm unaware of the long term outcome (possibly only short term!) was for these 'conversions', maybe...
  4. R

It's time for me to cause offence...

Just to state the what appears to me stating the bleeding obvious but................ The last few decades have increasingly put control of money and wealth, and where its spent in the hands of women. Car manufacturers have inevitably proportionally directed more of the appeal of their products...
  5. R

How strict are police on expired MOTs?

You can drive on the public highway without possession of a current MoT providing you drive 'directly' to a prebooked appointment at an approved garage, surely this is the salient point to be considered. It hasn't been established just what is defined by 'directly' AFAIK. Therefore it doesn't...
  6. R

'Plod'.......a term of endearment in my dictionary, and particularly so when you consider some of the alternatives.
  7. R

No worries I'm safe! My post implies interpretation as in stating 'should' rather than 'must' and the term 'seem to recall' implies an element of doubt. It is for the OP to decide if he considers driving straight home to London for a pre booked MoT is the most practical way to comply with law...
  8. R

I would do as post #2 pre book an MoT in London, although I seem to recall that it is expected that nearest practical Testing Station to point of entry should be used. I sometimes used to do that on returning from Euroland, pre the day when insurance cos adopted the requirement that vehicles...
  9. R

W123 300D 1980 Service schedule

I suppose your aware that there's a Haynes Manual for the 123 Series 1976 to 1985 covers 200D,240D, 240TD, 300D, and 300TD ?
  10. R

What's happening to Diesel/Petrol prices??

A friend informs me that moored just off Ceuta are Russian oil tankers. Apparently they are and were discharging/offloading/decanting/pumping their oily cargo into other tankers flying flags of convenience, presumably then bound for who knows where in the world. Might be filling up with some...
  11. R

What do you clean and polish yours with

I use 2 or 3 young fit east Europeans, sit back and watch, until the car glows. Elbow grease fills the grit swirls and gives the shine!
  12. R

207d - Can anyone help me find a spare part?!?

Post #3...... Iceland, but could be from the frozen fish display in Ealing High St. branch :)
  13. R

AUTODOC have a few OEM quality replacements listed and presently in stock £4 to £6 or so. I've had good service from Autodoc.
  14. R

Might be an idea to post up a pic of the old one if it still exists, someone might be able to suggest a substitution of some description.
  15. R

Oil Change Due - Do You Buy Your Own?

OK if you can trust the garage to carry out the job properly. I've witnessed/heard of dipsticks chucked on gritty dirty floors, sump drain plugs way out on torque spec. oil filters not renewed etc. Now, on a complicated skilled job most people have to place their faith in the garage to carry out...
  16. R

Oil Change Due - Do You Buy Your Own?

I suppose it's been stated many times on this forum, but it's possibly worth repeating; With oil Specs. The statement "Approved" by Mercedes Benz Spec.(or page) 229.3 eg, is not the same thing as Meets the "Requirements" of Mercedes Benz. Spec. 229.3 etc. I recall spotting the occasional...
  17. R

2015 LWB Sprinter with rumbling vibration from underside 50mph+

I would think you would be justified in returning to the local garage ie those with whom you had a contract, it's up to them to deal with the Euro sub contractor who may not have carried out the balancing satisfactorily. Could be worthwhile going (or threatening to) for a chargeback or section...
  18. R

2015 LWB Sprinter with rumbling vibration from underside 50mph+

Depending on whether the it was just the UJs that were renewed here's a few guesses might be worthwhile investigating; Have you checked for any movement or freeplay in the replaced U/Js levering with a flat bladed screwdriver to check. Presumably the needle rollers and spiders etc.were actually...
  19. R

Brake issue

Dealer says brake harder, I say do likewise for a few miles, someone else advises no hard braking:rolleyes: That settles that then:)
  20. R

Brake issue

More than 2 weeks unused and in the open presumably? Driving rain = corrosion. At a guess I'd say the dealer is correct, particularly if everything was ok before the park up. A few miles of hard brake useage should clean them free of rust. Unless deeply rusted, unlikely in just 16 days.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom