£600 to repair my parking brake???

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ageing W202 C200 with rust
I am feeling a tad ignored after not one reply to my post on my parking brake issues two days ago, even though I'd searched for other previous posts on the same subject beforehand and only asked for a few things clearing up. But hey-ho, I guess forum contributors can't be everywhere. I can't. I guess parking brakes just aren't interesting. :neutral:

But here's the thing. I was all set to get my 14 year old car booked in at the main dealer, so I could get a courtesy car and still go to work. I phoned up and when I said I'd lost my rachet on the foot pedal and was talking about leaving the car with them for 24 hours, the guy at the other end said he could do the job in 15 minutes and it would cost me no more than £50. He then went on to tell me that there was a little spring on a pawl that could come off, and I said that I'd seen this on a forum, had tried to take the shroud off under the steering wheel yesterday, but had only got it partially off and couldn't see what I was looking at. It was also 2.5C when I was trying to do this in the street, it was trying to snow on me, and I'd got family on their way to visit. I gave up and went inside to get warm.

So then I said to the nice gentleman on the telephone, "My release handle has gone all floppy, as if it is not connected to anything, is this the same thing?" (Which was also the basis of my unanswered question two days ago).

And he said "No, that is something different. It sounds like your cables are seizing up. If they need replacing it will cost £600".

To which I replied

"OMG!" (Just like Janice out of Friends - no you don't know what I'm talking about, do you?) "That is more than the car is worth!"

So, credit where credit is due, my favoured M-B main dealer has always had technicians willing to give free advice over the phone (do they all do that?) and he told me to take out the back seat, expose the parking brake cable adjuster underneath and soak it with easing oil to see if it makes a difference, and then if I needed to, to book the car in after that.

But here is the thing. I think the guy was at cross purposes with me. I was out in town on Saturday when my parking brake failed. Around thirty minutes after it happened, to test something out (as I was still unsure what had gone wrong, all I knew was I couldn't rachet the brake on) I parked on a slope in a local retail centre car park, put the car in neutral, and it started to roll back. I applied the parking brake pedal - it stopped - released the pedal - car rolled - pedal applied - car stopped - pedal released - car rolled.

So all the logic I can apply to the situation tells me the cable to the back wheels is fine and does not need replacing or lubricating.

What simutaneously happened to my car is that the rachet ceased to be and the release handle to the right of the steering wheel became loose and floppy. That does not sound like a £600 job to me, right?

I've decided this job can wait until the weather improves and I can take more time about taking bits off to get a better view of what is underneath the steering wheel. I'm not 17 any more and the days of masochistic car maintenance in freezing weather conditions are behind me.

Mick

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
IRRC the release handle goes floppy when the parking ratchet spring fails. If you can "brake" the car by pressing on the parking pedal the cables are fine.

Last edited:

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
unless you need to put it to mot, you can still park, by engaging the gear

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
as Grober, the cables must be ok by the description of the fault, just the ratchet thats not engaging. I am sure a indie will provide a repair for a small percentage of that £600

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It's prob just the return spring jumped out of its recess, seen a lot do this of late!!!!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
It's prob just the return spring jumped out of its recess, seen a lot do this of late!!!!

looks like it will be cheaper for him to drive from derby, get you to fix it and drive back with cash still in his wallet :)

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
looks like it will be cheaper for him to drive from derby, get you to fix it and drive back with cash still in his wallet :)

I agree get it booked in with Cole if he has a vacancy, Good Guy, Job done
BAZZER1

MB TECH WARRINGTON

Reaction score
As already stated sounds like return spring has snapped on the pedal assembly.

Little bit fiddly but not time consuming. Would take approx 10 minutes to check.

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yes I guess the petrol to Southampton and back would be less than £600, but only just!

Last edited:
OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
unless you need to put it to mot, you can still park, by engaging the gear

It's an auto but yes, I am still using the car and leaving it in Park. It's best not to park on steep gradients though while it is like this - I've already had the shifter a bit reluctant to leave the 'Park' slot due to a bit of weight loading the mechanism.

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As already stated sounds like return spring has snapped on the pedal assembly.

Little bit fiddly but not time consuming. Would take approx 10 minutes to check.

Ironically I'm not a million miles from you during the afternoons every weekday. Unfortunately I'm in a Class 2 Iveco! :)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
If a thread doesn't get responses don't take it personally...I for one hadn't seen it. If you post a reply saying "bump"...it will bring it back to the top of the page and will usually get attention.

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IRRC the release handle goes floppy when the parking ratchet spring fails. If you can "brake" the car by pressing on the parking pedal the cables are fine.

Thank you for the advice. I feel much better about taking another look at the job now - when the weather gets a bit milder, which hopefully won't be too long. I'm going to take another look myself, armed with the Haynes manual to help me detatch that lower shroud from the bonnet release and steering adjuster knob (instead of just going at it with a Philips screwdriver like I did on Sunday) rather than book it in for repair now. The vehicle is still usable, and despite not strictly meeting MoT requirements, due to the defective ratchet, it could be argued that in the unlikely event of needing an emergency brake, one that works like a normal brake pedal (as my parking brake now does!) is more effective!

Strange that the technician on the phone this morning blamed the cables as soon as I said the release handle had gone loose. Mind you, he also said something to the effect that the ratchet was "an audible indication that the parking brake is working, otherwise people would just push the pedal to the floor".

REALLY? I thought the ratchet was to hold the brake on. :confused:

I think maybe I am better off doing the job myself!

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If a thread doesn't get responses don't take it personally...I for one hadn't seen it. If you post a reply saying "bump"...it will bring it back to the top of the page and will usually get attention.

If I'd have taken it personally I wouldn't have come back! :lol: Thanks for the tip though.

I noticed one or two others with queries about the parking brake though, who also seemed to have been overlooked while threads on different subjects had attracted replies. So while I was checking in I added my two-penneth worth to their questions, hoping I could be slightly helpful.

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good News

Yep, good news. I've repaired my parking brake. The end had dropped off the little spring that holds the pawl. Funny that, I'm sure someone mentioned that is what happens....:p A twist with pliers to make a new hook, re-attached and the ratchet worked again. I decided to take off the circlip that holds the pawl to get the end of the spring in its locating hole, then slip the pawl back onto its spindle extending the spring in the process. Easy.

So the man from my nearest main agent, which shall remain nameless to prevent a law suit, who said "When your release handle goes floppy your cables are seizing up and it could cost £600" was totally wrong.

Now the bad news. In the process, I trashed my bonnet release cable. I could not, for the life of me, get the barrel nipple on the end of the cable back into its recess on the bonnet release handle and get all the inner cable in the right place at the same time. It was too tight. In desperation, and without referring to the manual, I took out the bonnet lock, hoping to see adjustment or at least release the cable at the bonnet end so I could get the handle back on. Well, that idea worked. The trouble is, I kinked the bonnet release cable enough so that it now doesn't work properly. The only way I can now lock my bonnet is to leave the internal handle off, push the inner cable as far forward as possible manually and keep a clothes peg on the end to stop it disappearing inside my dashboard. Fixed one job, made another. Reading the Haynes manual over a coffee after all the swearing had stopped, and I see you have to take about twelve things off BEFORE you get to take out the bonnet release lock. :roll:

So, in conclusion, not totally happy at this point, but so far no money spent, but now I at least need to buy another cable and a ball of string if I'm not to spend the rest of my time with this car with a clothes peg acting as a bonnet release handle. Somehow that does not seem very Mercedes-Benz. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
So the man from my nearest main agent was totally wrong.

not totally happy at this point, but so far no money spent,

Somehow that does not seem very Mercedes-Benz. :rolleyes:

Some of these are spot on, some are the opposite.

Welcome to MB ownership; thank the Lord God for this site!

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Yep thats how it goes:D if you do 5 jobs only one of them will be straightforward perseverence will triumph though
Experience is gained by making mistakes . The man who never made a mistake never did anything Training is where other people pay for your mistakes :D

Top Bottom