'02 E240 Remote Fob Not Recognized - Advice on how to fix / re-sync

B

benea

Hi all,

I'm posting on behalf of my dad who's as savvy with the internet as I am with cars.

The car is a 2002 E-Class 240. I can post any additional details if they're important.

As he's explained it to me, the fob is the smart-key kind that is sensed by the car where it unlocks the car automatically when the fob is near it. It also prevents the car locking with the fob inside the car and can also start the ignition by pressing a button on the gearstick, if the fob is in the car.

We had the car for about a year and since about a month ago, these features have not been working. The fob still works like a regular key so you have to physically put it in the ignition and turn it. And you also have to press the lock and unlock buttons on the fob to get it open. If you try and start the car with the "start" button, the dashboard computer says "key not recognised".

The batteries have already been swapped and there's nothing in the manual about re-syncing the key. It only says that if the car gives the message of "key not recognised", the only cause could be magnetic intereference and provides no solution to it.

Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? Your help would very much be apprecitated.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Can't help. But I was totally unaware the w210 had keyless go as an option.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The car will have to be re set on STAR, it can take ½ an hour if only programming lost

Top Bottom