190 2.5d

frwjd

Reaction score
Website
www.french-regional-wines.co.uk
Hi

I'm new to the forum and have already picked up some good info from searches.

I am considering buying a 1989 G reg 190 2.5D with 185k on the clock. There is no full service history but the last owner had the car for 6 years and is available to talk to.

The asking price (trade sale) is £995 - the questions are
is it worth that price?
what should I look for?

many thanks

c250 turbo diesel

Reaction score
Answer

Find out if the last owner has spent any serious money on it, with bills to prove ! if none leave it as too old and two many miles, Potential trouble !

190D

Banned
Reaction score
c250 turbo diesel said:
Find out if the last owner has spent any serious money on it, with bills to prove ! if none leave it as too old and two many miles, Potential trouble !

Obliviously you don?t know much about the 190 diesels they are mainly maintenance free, only bad points are some diff whine and road springs are prone to breaking. Listen for the timing chain rattling if it check oil pressure when engine is warm
if it Looks good and drives good go for it put I wouldn?t I?ve had one for the past 8 yrs apart from servicing the only thing major i have done is replace the diff bearings and that was 5 yrs ago. 138,000mls and still going strong

shrekky

Reaction score
sunderland...where ?......just south of scotland..
I own a 190D.........little brother with only a 2 litre deisel........but having said that if it is anything to go by............had it 18 months.......only ever did a oil and filter change on the engine :-D .........point about suspension springs snapping are true.........had to replace all 4 of mine,was going to anyway though ;)

OP
F

frwjd

Reaction score
Website
www.french-regional-wines.co.uk
Actually I had already bought it before I saw the first reply.

The body work and chassis are in very good condition. The interior isn't as good as I would have liked but nothing that a valet won't sort out. The tappets are noisy and there is a very slight whine from the diff. There are 4 new tyres, a nearly new exhaust, 12 months mot and 3 months warranty.

Buying a car for less than £1k is always a lottery but (I hope!) any merc lessens the chances of trouble albeit any problems are likely to be more expensive.

nicky

Banned
Reaction score
frwjd said:
Actually I had already bought it before I saw the first reply.

The body work and chassis are in very good condition. The interior isn't as good as I would have liked but nothing that a valet won't sort out. The tappets are noisy and there is a very slight whine from the diff. There are 4 new tyres, a nearly new exhaust, 12 months mot and 3 months warranty.

Buying a car for less than £1k is always a lottery but (I hope!) any merc lessens the chances of trouble albeit any problems are likely to be more expensive.

Best to leave it in and get the tappets done under the 3 months warranty...
These are hydraulic and will need replaced as there is no adjustment...

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom