190e 1.8 timing chain question

Mustardmit

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I have made any forum cock-ups.
I have just acquired a 1992 190e ( 1.8 ) -it's wonderful, a bit of a gas-guzzler compared to my 900cc Peugeot 205 but WTF -It was cheap, and it's a Merc:)
ANYWAY, there is some occasional timing-chain jingle, not particularly loud, on accelleration/decelleration. The oil is at its correct level and is clean. It's done 104,000 miles and has some service history. Is this anything to worry about?
I was told that this is "normal" and "nothing to worry about" ...so, should I worry? and if so, being a Merc-driving pauper, what is the best thing to do?
Cheers.
MM

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Hello and welcome to the site.

Id be very surprised that it was the timing chain making any noise at that mileage TBH. They have a duplex(double link)chain that lasts for many hundreds of thousands of miles. In other words, for the life of the car. What makes you think it is the chain anyway?

It sounds more like a rattle from a heat shield that is loose on the exhaust that only reverberates at certain revs to me. Get under the car and check them out to see if any are loose. Id also check for anything loose under the bonnet.

"I was told that this is "normal" and "nothing to worry about"

Whoever told you that was completely wrong full stop!!!!!! Its not normal! But like i said, id be very surprised if your chain was making the noise!!!!

Stu

xcombatvetx

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
That rattling happens to me also, and I discovered it was the heat sheild under my car that looks like is missing a couple screws. My heat sheild even rattles when it idles too.

But yes timing chains almost always last the life of your car. As long as you keep up with all the oil changes etc...

(Some tell tale signs of a bad chain could be poor ecomony or rough idling)

OP
M

Mustardmit

Reaction score
Thanks, you were right.
I got underneath, poked about with a twig (as there is very little ground clearance and I don't have a trolley jack).
Low and behold, a little U-shaped bracket, so worn rusted and dangly it looked like a dried up fox turd! I tried to undo it with a ring-spanner, but it fell off in the process.
Cheers
MM

Top Bottom