190e 2.0 duplex chain question...

JamieD

Reaction score
Does the aux shaft have a TDC marking, or doesn't it matter where it is lined up? Have found the markings on both cam and crank shafts, but the haynes manual doesn't mention lining up the aux...?

chain has slipped down when i removed the head unfortunately... Am hoping not to have to removed the lower chain cover

(D'oh)

flyingtech55

Reaction score
Website
www.bordersgliding.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320 (R170)
Line up the rotor arm to number one. The top edge of the distributor has a mark cut into it. It's about the 5 'o' clock position as you look in from the front of the car IIRC.

HTH

Gliderman

OP
J

JamieD

Reaction score
thanks flyingtech, thats a lifesaver! thankfully it looks like the chain hasn't slipped...

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
good news about the distributor, but as to your worries about the chain slipping - it doesn't matter. what matters is that you have the cam set right in the head (use those 4mm drill bits, they work a treat!!) and the crank set right for #1 piston on the firing stroke. after that, the chain (as long as it's tight on the passenger side when you install the tensioner) will take care of itself, regardless of any markings the manual said you had to make. trust me, i've done the job quite a few times. good luck!!

Top Bottom